Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Black dahlia

fancypearl
PTR Tester (Rank 3)
Character Name(s): Stormy

Black dahlia

Post by fancypearl »

So I was asked by Eton to draw a black dahlia.
My first attempt was a little lack luster, seeming I've never seen one before this.
The one he gave me was, without a doubt the only reason I could of even attempted drawing it.

searched the dream to find another one
began crushing them tracing them.

Then I took to reaching out in the chaos for fragments of memories from others drawing them, learning what I could.

after that, I felt a bit better about it. And tried again.

Drew a few more, making cut outs to compare to the environment.

searching the dream, for a place that fits the colors, the lighting, the placement. just the feel. I finally settled on House Calenture, a small pedestal at the end of the bridge.

I liked it, So I decided to draw the flower into it. I thought it looked nice.

But didn't entirely capture what I was hoping.. So I crushed up some fragments of elemens, added a bit of ago oil. Took the time to crush , cut, and very carefully smash the end of a branch to create a brush. Started coloring my drawings.
I started with calenture. since it was there IN front of me.. and I've seen it so many times. was familiar.

It took quite some time to draw out the floor, and I wasn't sure of the placement it kept washing out the flower, So I painted and drew another. with white floors instead.

It was then I started on the dahlia, wasn't quite sure how to add color to a black flower.. Then staring at it I thought about the smell, so sweet.. and how it was so deadly. It brought me ideas of fruits and vegetables, I took the green from peppers, and other fruits I could find.. added it to it, then I thought of poison and it brought me to plums. I figured the green with very light hues of purple would fit.

That seemed alright, but .. it lost.. some of what made it A black dahlia. So I started shading again.

This looked alright.
But I carefully crafted another with color and deep shading to compare to make sure it wouldn't be washed out by the floors of calenture. Cut it out, and held it up to compare.

Then I made my first colourized version of both.. together, playing with the placement.

Still not quite satisfied, I decided to try another time.. to be sure I couldn't do it justice it deserves. with the abyss floors, carefully placing the flower.

After some effort and long trip to the Order of Sabled Moon.. Then back to the library, I found Eton. and gave him his drawings, telling him this story. Now you.. can share in his Black Dahlia.
Koi-Spirit
Junior GameMaster
Character Name(s): Koi-Spirit

Re: Black dahlia

Post by Koi-Spirit »

Lovely work
Everything has a spirit - honor that.