Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Mutually Consensual Role Plays

Want to talk about non-game related issues? This is the forum for it.
NimblrParsley
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Almodozo

Mutually Consensual Role Plays

Post by NimblrParsley »

Hey all,

I just wanted to put out my thoughts and opinions regarding RPs...

I love 'em! Good ones, bad ones, interesting ones, kinda boring ones. I've not been involved in one that I wasn't a fan of. My characters... well maybe not so much at times, but that is the fun of it all, isn't it? To engage in a RP as a character different from ourselves? To step out from who we are as people an inhabit someone else's head... act as they might... hate things that we love, love things that we hate; all that good stuff. My blood has been pumping and I've been legit upset about things that have happened in game, but at the end of the day I had fun. It's for the FUN of it, at least that's why I play.

That being said, I recognize that there are topics that not everyone is comfortable RPing around (eg certain sexual activities, violence of various sorts, subjugation/putting down of groups, etc, etc), and that there may be some Characters (or Controllers) that some are not comfortable RPing with. Now, I don't have any issues RPing with anyone so far, my characters don't like certain people, but there are none that I'm not happy (as a controller) to RP with. But I understand, especially with a game with a smaller player base like ours, and with the amount of time that many have been playing, that such feelings may exist.

To my point, I've told a few controllers OOC, but I want to be clear to all and leave this door open to all... If I'm involved in an RP with you that you are uncomfortable with, whether it's the subject, time that it's happening (ooc shit happens!), or any part of it... let me know ooc and we'll figure a way out of it. I approach Underlight much like D&D games and other 'IRL' activities, doesn't matter that we're anonymized by the interwebs, I think of y'all as friends, or at least acquaintances, whose comfort and enjoyment are more important than short-term enjoyment on my part if you aren't interested.

I have ZERO interest in a RP where not everyone is having fun. If someone is uncomfortable with it, I'm uncomfortable with it. If someone else isn't having fun, I'm not having fun. If someone doesn't want to RP with a given character (even especially if it's mine) I don't want that RP to go forward and force someone into a situation that they don't consent to.

Now I know that this could break the all important 'immersion' to some extent, but frankly I don't give a shit. That the people I play with be comfortable with the stories we create together is far more important to me than perfect immersion. This may not be the direction that Game Masters are looking for, and if so, that is fine and I know that the game doesn't align with my values and I guess I'll have to move along.

Thanks for your time reading this, I appreciate and love y'all. I hope you'll think on this and I'm open to discussion.

Almodozo (and Prucis if he ever dreams again....)

P.S.
Beyond my own personal approach to all this, we don't have enough players to push people out, for whatever reason. Just... be kind to each other... even if our characters are collapsing each other! ;)
P.P.S.
I recognize that some could 'abuse' this approach... but I am willing to treat all as adults here and trust that we can be reasonable; if you're gonna call that you're uncomfortable with a situation that may lead to you being collapsed due to the amount of work to regain the energy... well I think that is on you.