Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

This new patch

Want to talk about non-game related issues? This is the forum for it.
Gorgunsun
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Gorgunsun, Gromnir

This new patch

Post by Gorgunsun »

I sure as hell hope it's not permanent because this is a DUMB idea. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Re: This new patch

Post by Cherokee »

Which part of the patch don’t you like?
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

I'm guessing the Chaos Well or Invisibility bug fixes offend him. Otherwise the feedback probably would've been structured in an actionable way.

Or maybe he really hates whisper colors!
Tary
Dreamer

Post by Tary »

Sidas wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:48 am I'm guessing the Chaos Well or Invisibility bug fixes offend him. Otherwise the feedback probably would've been structured in an actionable way.

Or maybe he really hates whisper colors!
Window mode and dreamwide broadcast are terrible
You know what, screw it, let's roll way back to how Underlight was in 2005. Change frightens me.
Gorgunsun
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Gorgunsun, Gromnir

Post by Gorgunsun »

I think E for emote and T for talk was quite alright.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

Those keybindings still work.
Aileron
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Aileron

Post by Aileron »

While I understand that having to deal with criticism in more abrupt forms can be slightly irritating, as Devs you both are representing the game and Koi itself. There isn't any reason to ridicule a player based on what they say about the game. To me it makes Koi as a whole seem less professional and could put people on a side of just not speaking up because they could just be made fun of.

Could he have given more substantial reason for his comment? Of course he could have. But sometimes it's better to just ask for reasoning and going on from there like Cherokee did. Not to mention as stated before, there was patch notes as well as a vid showing what was going to happen so it's not like anyone couldn't have been prepared. If someone doesn't want to go into detail as to why they don't like something then it's obviously not worth worrying about or responding to it.

Be the bigger ones in the situation, cause even if there are some who don't like some aspects of a patch, if they can't say as to why, then there is no reason to even engage the discussion.

Just something to think about, we should be trying to constructive with each other (Devs and players alike).
PKChrisChan
Keepers of the Eternal Shadow
Character Name(s): Nathan

Post by PKChrisChan »

I think the changes to the client take away from the feel of Roleplay personally. The chat box felt quite a bit more intuitive and having to type /me makes me feel like I am in a Chat room (though the game in it's current state p much is!)

Then, I have to worry about pressing Enter on accident and floating! I feel like this is going to result in a lot of random or incomplete texts if fighting happens. I will go into more detail once I am at home and off my phone.
Tary
Dreamer

Post by Tary »

Aileron wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:37 pm While I understand that having to deal with criticism in more abrupt forms can be slightly irritating, as Devs you both are representing the game and Koi itself. There isn't any reason to ridicule a player based on what they say about the game. To me it makes Koi as a whole seem less professional and could put people on a side of just not speaking up because they could just be made fun of.

Could he have given more substantial reason for his comment? Of course he could have. But sometimes it's better to just ask for reasoning and going on from there like Cherokee did. Not to mention as stated before, there was patch notes as well as a vid showing what was going to happen so it's not like anyone couldn't have been prepared. If someone doesn't want to go into detail as to why they don't like something then it's obviously not worth worrying about or responding to it.

Be the bigger ones in the situation, cause even if there are some who don't like some aspects of a patch, if they can't say as to why, then there is no reason to even engage the discussion.

Just something to think about, we should be trying to constructive with each other (Devs and players alike).
You know, I thought a long time about how to respond to this. I considered righteous anger, rage or just fatalistic "oh well." I'm hoping this is somewhere in between. I'm glad I waited to respond until I was less ticked off.

So let me get a few misconceptions out of the way. I don't represent Koi. I am not a Koi, nor am I member of the Koi staff. "But you're a developer, aren't you?" you'll ask. Sure. I am. But I've never signed any agreement with Koi, NDA or otherwise. While I gift them my work, it is just that: MY work, and any new things (like the half-completed NodeJS server implementation, the half completed VertX implementation and the nearly complete Account API imlpementation) are the property of Baschel Technologies, Ltd, an Israeli legal entity with company # 515703346. They are provided to the Underlight community by me because I choose to do so.

Nor am I providing a service to you. I don't play Underlight. I don't reap the fruits of my labors. This isn't another "oh boo hoo they're volunteers" post. I don't volunteer to play a game - I'm not a GM, I don't drive a DM or any other character besides Taryag which I almost never play. I volunteer to do the same thing I charge $125/hr to do. For $0/hr. In fact, I operate my work for Underlight at an even bigger loss because every flight I'm on I purchase WiFi service for the sole purpose of developing Underlight. So let's be entirely clear: I am not your service provider, you are not my customer.

Underlight, as I see it, is a collective. If you (collective) are going to be an asshole to me, I'm going to be an asshole right back. This isn't a "customer is always right" thing because you're not my customer. You're my equal counterpart and just like I'd tell my brother he's being a dick when he's being a dick, I'm going to point out dickishness when I see it. And yes you can feel free to do the same - which you did. But in this case there's one wrong party and one right party. You might not like the chatbar in the patch: cool. I knew it would be contentious despite this being exactly how every other game on the planet earth works. Change IS hard. But then say WHAT you don't like and WHY you don't like it. I think 99% of the problems go away when we fix where the focus is returned to after sending speech.

But when someone is so reductive to say "throw out the last patch," because maybe there's a single feature they don't like in it, I get really tired of bothering to do anything at all. It's especially tiring when I've made a huge push to force us to be more transparent about the rollout of features; I don't expect people to watch a 1 hour long video, but there was also a big list of patch notes and an area where you could have tested the exact patch we were going to be rolling out for a month. If you don't bother to read that, or watch it, or test it then what do you want me to do? Paint you a picture?

I'm not asking for praise, or thanks, or anything else. I don't expect everyone to like it, but then be constructive about it. And don't expect me not to be an ass if you're an ass to me. When you start paying me I'll start being nice.
PKChrisChan
Keepers of the Eternal Shadow
Character Name(s): Nathan

Post by PKChrisChan »

:roll:
Koi-JorKyrin
System Administrator

Post by Koi-JorKyrin »

Dear Underlight Community, Gorgunsun, Cherokee, Aileron, and PKChrisChan,

Please accept our most sincere apology for the unacceptable treatment and unprofessionalism you have all experienced in this thread and in other forum posts. The community expects more from us and from here onward, that will change for the better.

As of today, Macobas/Tary is no longer with the team.

"Just something to think about, we should be trying to constructive with each other (Devs and players alike)." - Aileron
Koi - Jor'Kyrin
System Administrator
KoiWare, LLC