Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Clash of the Planesmiths 2.0!

Want to talk about non-game related issues? This is the forum for it.
Koi-Citadel
Senior GameMaster

Clash of the Planesmiths 2.0!

Post by Koi-Citadel »

We are hosting a contest to see just what kind of Planesmiths our players would make. Are you up for the challenge?

Post your contest submissions here by April 30th and we'll choose the best entry and bring that winner's idea to life in Underlight for everyone to enjoy!

Entries should include the following:

A room name. Every good room needs a creative, awesome name! See the rules below for a few restrictions.

Some piece of concept artwork: painting, drawing, photo, 3D model, floorplan, or any other visual depiction of your dream space. Elaborate and detailed, or simple sketches, it's up to you. Something to give everyone an idea of the scale and layout of your ideas. Not a good artist? That's okay! We're not here to judge your art skills, but the concepts and ideas in them. Have a favorite room in your house or is your backyard lounge space someone everyone can enjoy? Maybe submit a photo of your space and tell us how it can be altered to fit in our Dream space.

A written narrative: history, short story, room description. You can describe the space in detail, or go for more of an "if these walls could talk" narrative. Maybe a significant event in UL history that occurred there. If you have an idea of what existing level/plane it should be a part of, describe where it should be added. Maybe a nice short story of how the room will be re-discovered or created in the City of Dreams?

Here are the rules:

1 - Room names may not reference any player name, characters of any kind, or out-of-character people, places, or things. For example, the following room names would not be allowed: "Arwen's Refuge," "Lanister's Depths," "The Shire," "Cliffs of Dover," "Jeff's Fire Pit," "The Death Star"

2 - Submitted artwork must be original and created by YOU. Don't steal someone else's ideas/artwork. The entire point of this contest is creativity! Even though the final submission may be original, it should not derive from any copyright materials. In other words, don't take screenshots from World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, and Skyrim and combine them into some awesomely creative mish-mash. Also, don't just sketch up an exact replica of an area from any other game, movie, etc. That's just plagiarizing and that's no fun for anyone.

3 - Narratives, in whichever form you wish to submit, should also be free of plagiarism. Keep it all original! Your best chance at success will be to tie your concepts to the existing world of Underlight.

4 - Contest winner will be chosen after the submission period ends, no earlier than May 1st, 2018. Submitted winning materials will be considered property of KoiWare/Underlight and winner will not be compensated for materials or concepts in any way! So please, do not expect a paycheck. Your winnings will be in the form of your very own personalized original room/area in Underlight!

5 - The ideas you have to NOT have to be limited to only one room, but we cannot guarantee an idea including multiple rooms can be implemented. We will do our best to keep the final implementation as close to your specifications as possible, but some adjustments are to be expected due to limitations in the game itself. Please keep in mind that additions are limited to existing textures/ornaments and we will not create new visual artwork to accompany your ideas. Textures/ornaments will be matched to existing artwork as much as possible.

Last time we held this contest, we had such winner's as Cherokee's Ballroom in Threshold Pits! And Roleplayer's Harrow Springs, in Harrow Glades! I look forward to seeing exciting submissions!

If you have any questions, feel free to let us know via the forums or in Discord. Looking forward to seeing your submissions. Good luck!
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

The Shallows and the Wandering Sphere

Post by Arnaya »

Okay, here it goes. I'm Really not an artist, lol. So I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to do much about a picture. Everything I've tried doesn't even come close to giving an idea about what I'm submitting for this. It's a new plane, centered around a single room. The entire thing removed from Sense Dreamers. So... I guess here it goes.

The Shallows:
Concept:
The calm area of chaos immediately surrounding the city of Underlight. Each room spawns a random Mare or Revenant, from Emphant up to Horron, and acts like a fast negative dreamsoul pad. Draining 5 Dreamsoul per second (blocked by Soulshield). This opens up an infinite array of locations for people to explore and visit, including realms of Deeper Chaos, perhaps even the Darkmaren Cities of Origin at some point, without continually editing the base maps of the city or having to struggle to tie backstory into the existing history of the city. Three completely stable portals exist, leading to and from the Horron lairs in each of the rifts and the Rings of Passage on Edgeward Barrows. The entire area would be removed from Sense Dreamers, but people could still be located since the Shallows are right "near" the city.

History:
The turbulence of the cities recent history tears away at the edges of the rifts, causing small tears to form into the Chaos. Hasty action by Gloktr has sealed those tears into portals to prevent another great loss from tearing through the Dream that is Underlight. The swirling madness of the Chaos Shallows surrounding the city have been opened. Are you strong enough to venture beyond the safety of the cities walls to discover what secrets may lie beyond?

Description of the Chaos Fields:
Swirls of light in every hue and brightness crash, flowing around this small patch to leave a shallow of calm. The very air around you leeching at your avatar with a painful burning sensation while distorted images and sounds assault your senses in lightning strokes. Crashes of thunder and arcs of energy burst erratically from the surface below your feet, while your sense of up and down seem to shift with each passing wave of chaotic energy.

Upon finding a Chaos Current (IE: Hidden portal to another location in the Shallows):
Touch activated, delivering the message: A shift of the currents sweeps you into the Chaos, burning your avatar, before hurling you into a shallow. and causes a random amount of damage (1 to 25 suggested) even through Soul Shield. Can deposit you back in the room you just left.

The Wandering Sphere:
Concept:
The center piece of the area, an observation type structure, shaped like an egg, hidden within the Chaos of the Shallows by parties unknown. A podium type feature rising at the center of the room with a throne like chair at its top. A dozen different screens (Like the one at the Alliance Telescope) cover the outer surface of the walls, and one portal rests at each end of the oval room. Primarily a roleplay location, there would be 3 gens located here as well (2 ago level, 1 shamblix level) as a reward for those brave and persistent enough to find it. Stable room, no Dreamsoul Drain.

Description:
Perfectly smooth marble walls thrum with a gentle vibration that can be felt through the floor. A polished throne of white marble rests atop the dais, the faintest scent of blood and ashes flowing from the scorch mark on its seat. Before the throne, a dozen screens flicker erratically to reveal the city of Underlight. Each flicker of a screen displaying a different location. Other than the quiet thrumming, no sound disturbs the chamber even while one walks upon its sterile stone floors. A vague sense of the chambers great age, and of being watched, hangs over anyone that lingers.

History:
The Wandering Sphere has been anchored over the city of Underlight, hidden within a current of chaos in the shallows nearby for centuries. It's history and travels have taken it throughout the chaos, and it has been witness to monumental events in more cities than are imagined by the current residents of the dream. It roamed at the will of its creator as he watched over the places he encountered, recording and documenting within the Sphere's very structure all that was seen...until he arrived at the city of Underlight.

His observations covered many years, but ended when the Kotoken darkmares overcame the last of the cities defenders and cast them from the dream. While he recorded his final notes, the sphere was discovered by a small force of Darkmares that forced their way inside, tearing the Observe apart as he sat on the control throne before departing. Knowing nothing of the trove of knowledge they left behind, and caring less. Since that day, the sphere has lingered over the city. Continuing to observe and store all it's screens showed of the city beneath. Still serving the will of a master long dead, forgotten by all. The last of his notes are still scattered through the chamber, burned and torn, leaving no trace of the authors identity except for references of: "This Observer".

Sketch:
I'm really, Really not an artist. I hope this gives some vague idea of what was in my head though :)
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Dina

Re: Clash of the Planesmiths 2.0!

Post by Dina »

A pee pee!
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

Lol, I did warn people that I'm a really bad artist :P
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

I tried to get this in before the deadline, but I have been taking care of my mom that went into surgery today. I’m not sure if it will count, though here’s my submission.

I know we’re not supposed to plagiarize any content. While “the Upside Down” is used in Stranger Things, I found it fitting for the name since the room is literally upside down and looks nothing like the place in the show. However, if that’s not acceptable, I thought of another option.

Name:
The Upside Down
-or-
Gravity Falls

Plane:
Evernight Plateau

Layout:
I did not have time to draw the full image in my mind, but I pictured the room shape to be similar to the Dark Awakening with the tunnels leading to the outer planes.

Description:
This tunneled room defies the natural gravitational limits, in an utter topsy-turvy environment. Currents of air blow from a multitude of directions, granting the sensation of levitation. Puffs of clouds throughout the night sky settle below your feet, lacerated with colors of the aurora borealis. Heat radiates from the surrounding walls of lava that bleeds from the spiked ceiling.

Background Story:
The impact of Underlight colliding with the Lightless Hollow flipped a pocket of the City upside down. The floor crumbled under pressure, disturbing a dormant volcano. Lava exploded and floated up to replace the sky that crashed to the ground.

This was just a quick little drawing. Very poor work and I couldn't manage to scan it, but I figure it's enough to get the point across.

23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.