Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

A Time to Mend and Heal

Want to talk about non-game related issues? This is the forum for it.
Golah
Dreamer

A Time to Mend and Heal

Post by Golah »

For those unaware, I am a retired disabled Veteran of the US Army, and my name is Angelo- I am the lunacy behind Golah. I started playing UL back in the 90s I believe it was still on Mplayer in those days, before we switched to our own servers and or control. In those days because of the platform, and honestly UL was fairly competitive in those days, large player bases and GM teams were easy to maintain, even in those days, which as much as we had going on, it was easy to see GMs raked over coals for various reasons.

Eventually I also became a GM running various house elder toons, and a few teaching GMS and a Pranking/Wishing GM (Not wishbringer) So I got to see another side of UL from a GM perspective.

Regardless of all the changes in today's UL the GMs still face a common problem, with every live GM game, they can't please everyone, and someone is always gonna feel slighted, or abused, or wronged, or fill in the blank.

UL will also have its share of people that want to be evil or dark and twisted, but become the main focal point of aggression, and then makes the game less fun for them, and some of us players have a hard time balancing what we NEED in the game from an IC perspective, and what we are doing to the controller from an OOC Perspective.

First and foremost, I am guilt of this both as a prior GM to the game, and as a Player both before and now, and I have decided to make an effort to end that cycle today with this post.

Its important that we as controllers understand that we are the best and worst way to advertise underlight to gather new players, and entice older ones to return. That means that we as players against our hearts at times, have to try to respect one another, and listen to one another, and include one another without resorting to name calling, bashing, threats, hate, and shunning, its really not solving anything, and we are a great group of people that can really take this old fossil game into a new era, reminding people what its like to work as a team outside the game, and as a player inside the game.

When I left the Military after my injuries, I lost a great amount of use in my left side from a stroke, when UL was back and I got that ole email, I was super excited, and I came back, this place for me is an escape, from my pain, my disability, my heart, my soul and mind get to escape my reality for a brief moment in time, and we each have our own reasons I am sure.

My birthday is coming up soon, and with that and Thanksgiving, my gift and donation to Underlight, is to change perspective of how my char is controlled, to be inclusive of ideas, but most importantly its to respect other players, regardless of how they are role played.

Over the course of the next few weeks I will be doing live streams with chat, and moderators, I would like to interview player controllers, and ask them to talk about their introduction to Underlight, the evolution of their character, and a few ideas on how we as players can market Underlight to get more hits, and players. I hope respectfully that the GM team would also become interviews, and we can have a respectful Q/A session, and talk about the then/now and Future of Underlight

I appreciate each and every player, and I really mean that, and I will actively work to try to talk to each player via message to remind you that I am thankful you are here, and appreciate what you bring to the game, many thanks, peace and love and see you all soon.
Gorgunsun
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Gorgunsun, Gromnir

Re: A Time to Mend and Heal

Post by Gorgunsun »

I am sorry to hear about your health, pal. When I started dreaming back in (I wanna say on the cusp of 99) I felt 21 and bulletproof. I'm 38 now and coming up on 39 pretty soon and i have my own health issues now as well, not so much bulletproof anymore. Gor has evolved from being a cocky wolf that loves to fight to being more of a compassionate dreamer, and I think of all the characters that I have roleplayed in any game, be it UL, dungeons and dragons, pathfinder, whatever, Gor is the most of ME, Nick, the controller. I'd like to have a chat with you sometime.
I didn't know you were a vet. Thank you for your service. My dad served in vietnam, rest his soul.