Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

A hobby role-playing game I'm creating.

Want to talk about non-game related issues? This is the forum for it.
Sedrin
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Sedrin

A hobby role-playing game I'm creating.

Post by Sedrin »

Hey all,

I used to play Underlight a while back, then recently returned. I found the community to be awesome. The idea of players running the show, the dedication some of you put into your roleplayer, and other things facinating. After playing Underlight, I found that I wanted to improve and expand a few of the concept that the game presented to me.

I've been a hobby Unity 3D developer for the past 6 or 7 years. My day job is Web developer. I've been wanting to make a roleplaying game since I can remember; underlight has inspired me again to try to create something in the same vein.

It's still rather early in the development process for me with this, but I was curious if anyone else was doing something similar. I saw a few posts from last year about someone creating a clone, and another creating a game similar to underlight. Seems like those projects kind of went away or stagnated.

Anyways, I thought I would give it a shot. If anything, it gives me something to better myself ( programming-wise ) if anything else, even if it doesn't go anywhere. I thought I would share with you guys what I had come up with so far. Please excuse the programmer art on the character. I'm still trying to find my style I'm shooting for.

So far I've got the server up and running, logging in, player movement ( networking ) done. I'm going to be creating an alpha section of the map soon, each with small rooms and corridors similar to UL. The specs for playing this will be a bit higher than UL is, since I want to capture some of the new visual tech unity has to offer. Hopefully being a bit more immersive.

The main concept for this is more focused around Time and Space. Players will be taking ownership of "Towers" which will be similar to houses. Other towers can declare war on towers, capturing time focuses and ultimately towers themselves. It's not going to be fast paced, more on accumulating power, politics, and such. I didn't want to make a PVP shooter. I want this to be as deep as UL is lore-wise. Tower leaders will have control of portals, place decorative items in levels, and maybe more in the future.

Thanks for letting me spew my story. Hope to see you all the UL later!
Noshkapana
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Nosh

Re: A hobby role-playing game I'm creating.

Post by Noshkapana »

Good luck!

I am already losing!
Everyone's a hero in their own way,
In their own, not that heroic, way.
Pheasant
Dreamer

Post by Pheasant »

I've thought about making a game similar to UL, but I don't have the time or manpower to dedicate to it. So I thought of doing smaller projects that were kind of silly, but I would hope would put a smile on some faces with an UL theme. However, I really need a crash course in Flash for my silly little ideas. One day... Lol
DONE
Sedrin
Dreamer

Post by Sedrin »

Well got the basic world server running like I want. Players can connect.. walk around.. go to other areas through portals. Next up is chat. After that perhaps items, having them drop/picked up. Essentially working my way through all the basic premises, then expanding on those as needed. Here's a quick video of the networking stuff in action. The levels are just development versions and don't reflect the final. Especially the character graphic. :P

Video
Rasputin
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Rasputin

Post by Rasputin »

Six months or so ago I started learning Unreal Engine 4 in an attempt to make a proof of concept for a reimplementation of Underlight in a modern engine.
Prior to starting this project I had minimal experience in programming and no experience in Unreal Engine.
I have worked on the project off and on during the last six months getting several aspects of the game programmed in Unreal Engine.
--Rasputin
FreeSpirit
Sedrin
Dreamer

Post by Sedrin »

Rasputin wrote:Six months or so ago I started learning Unreal Engine 4 in an attempt to make a proof of concept for a reimplementation of Underlight in a modern engine.
Prior to starting this project I had minimal experience in programming and no experience in Unreal Engine.
I have worked on the project off and on during the last six months getting several aspects of the game programmed in Unreal Engine.
Awesome. I like UE4. Never dove real deep into using it though, but the possibilities are rather stunning. Were you going for a direct successor of it? I don't really want to steal people from UL ( not that I would be able to anyways ), but give another option in the same concept as it.

Recently I've been trying to get into a lot of tabletop roleplaying games. UL reminds me of that. It's amazing.
Rasputin
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Rasputin

Post by Rasputin »

Honestly, my goal is to convince the Underlight developers that a new engine is a better way forward for the game. I think that the problems inherent in the current client are making it harder to attract new players.
There are several aspects of the programming that I don't really have the knowledge to tackle on my own at this point, so the goal is mostly to prove that it's doable.
--Rasputin
FreeSpirit
Sedrin
Dreamer

Post by Sedrin »

I see. :)