Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Facebook Live

Want to talk about non-game related issues? This is the forum for it.
Golah
Dreamer

Facebook Live

Post by Golah »

We need as players and admins to start making FB Live posts regarding Underlight. Its the best form of advertising to have players talk about a game they love and support, my new years decree for 2017 is to increase the population of UL by 2000%. We can each play a role in that. Ideas?
Sorsha
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Sorsha

Re: Facebook Live

Post by Sorsha »

Well, there is an Underlight FB Group.. I think quite a lot of people see that. :)

Word definitely gets around, the thing about Underlight though..those who started with it absolutely LOVE it, but
many these days wouldn't kind of "get it" as they are more into high end graphics etc.

I've been happy to see more returning since the Win 10 fix.

:)
++SC++
++Quipster++
++Master Sender++
++Idealist++
++Wanderer++
++Opportunist++
SnowAngel
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Snow Angel X

Post by SnowAngel »

I get what you are saying but maybe we need to look at why people are leaving... and let's fix things first so that the current dreamer base wants to stay and be here... we are losing people that we should not be losing.. and I can't promote a game and encourage others to come when good, strong, solid , valid, RPers are leaving.

Just my two cents for what its worth.
There are times when we stop.. We sit still... We listen and breezes from a whole other world begin to whisper.
James Carroll
Golah
Dreamer

Post by Golah »

From a Military HUMIT field I can tell you precisely why people are leaving, unfortunately it will also most likely get me banned because its not a popular thought. So I will leave it at that, appearance is everything even if those intentions are not the warrant behind it, I see it pretty much every-time I play, and it often makes me think why I even bother. I stay because I have friends, and they stayed, and I do what I can around them, and focus on that. For now when things are ready to change perhaps we can set a IRC chat up for open honest discussion without repercussions, and let people voice concerns openly and get real feedback.
Tember
Dreamers of Light

Post by Tember »

I think for the most part it is that time of year when people are really busy and just don't have the time or energy for it.

As for the looks of the game, I don't really pay much attention because I've played so long. But one thing that would drastically change the look is adding color. Everything is the same color. It is kind of dark and drab. Not sure how hard it would be to change. But, I use to love playing Terra just because the colors, everything was colorful and bright and purdy
Tary
Dreamer

Post by Tary »

Golah wrote:From a Military HUMIT field I can tell you precisely why people are leaving, unfortunately it will also most likely get me banned because its not a popular thought. So I will leave it at that, appearance is everything even if those intentions are not the warrant behind it, I see it pretty much every-time I play, and it often makes me think why I even bother. I stay because I have friends, and they stayed, and I do what I can around them, and focus on that. For now when things are ready to change perhaps we can set a IRC chat up for open honest discussion without repercussions, and let people voice concerns openly and get real feedback.
I seriously doubt that if you gave candid feedback, however unpopular, that you'd be banned. I can't speak for the GMs because I'm not one, but I definitely know that we all have a vested interest in making the community grow. If there are uncomfortable truths that need to be talked about, let's talk about them. And those truths can be, "well, it's just not a good game" (and if you ask me, that's actually what I think, and I'm someone who's invested blood, sweat and tears into developing it) to "the people here suck." As long as that's followed with, "but here's my idea for making it better," I for one would love to hear it.

Look: Underlight is a game that gets better with more people. It's a weird, niche little corner of the internet and finding people who are into weird text-based games isn't easy, especially with literally 0 budget and a lacking playerbase. Couple that with "every new face is assumed to be someone's alt" and you're pretty much SOL if you're totally new. So yeah. I'd say that we're a pretty hostile community to new players, the game itself is opaque at best and totally confoundingly frustrating at worst to newcomers, and has a self-perpetuating problem of being empty most of the time.
Tary
Dreamer

Post by Tary »

SnowAngel wrote:I get what you are saying but maybe we need to look at why people are leaving... and let's fix things first so that the current dreamer base wants to stay and be here... we are losing people that we should not be losing.. and I can't promote a game and encourage others to come when good, strong, solid , valid, RPers are leaving.

If you're going to say "let's fix things first" you at least need to enumerate the things that need fixing.
For example, my reasoning for not playing isn't because I'm being griefed, my reasoning for not playing is that nobody plays at a time that's amenable to my time zone.
Inzoum
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Inzoum Zimia, Asaniel

Post by Inzoum »

Tary wrote:Couple that with "every new face is assumed to be someone's alt" and you're pretty much SOL if you're totally new. So yeah. I'd say that we're a pretty hostile community to new players, the game itself is opaque at best and totally confoundingly frustrating at worst to newcomers, and has a self-perpetuating problem of being empty most of the time.
One time, trying to deal with a newly awakened who couldn't figure out how to do some simple things that I know are legitimately confusing for new players due to the UI design, there are times where it's just not fathomable to explain these game systems without getting a toe into OOC. I keep this to a minimum and restricted to situations whete I just can't conceivably do otherwise... I got an angry response for "ruining the game for him" and "breaking his immersion"... to which I apologized and ceased OOC but was much less inclined to help afterwards. I don't know whether that person was a new player or someone's alt, I tend to assume everyone is new specifically to avoid the situation you describe, Tary.

Experienced players making alts and acting as if they need to learn how the game is played down to UI details are a waste of my time.

Now if that WAS a legitimate new player, I'm concerned... People stepping into a game that's practically 20 years old and has a dated interface, can't figure out how it works, and then refuse to get some help getting started? I see an impass...
Inzoum Carrere Zimia
6th Sphere GateKeeper of the Lyran City, Dream Traveler
Golah
Dreamer

Post by Golah »

Would be better discussed in IRC as Players GMs I believe for example we need a good kinda teacher GM and an Evil one, so that paths are able to be seen by either side of good and evil just like Dark Smiths and Dream Smiths, I also believe we need a OOC Training room as we grow, and we will grow, and more new real players come, we need to have a place we can train and explain to them OOCly without all the whispers and brackets, few fake mares to kill no xp, etc etc training them for the IC game and really make the relevance of teachers.
Tary
Dreamer

Post by Tary »

Inzoum wrote: One time, trying to deal with a newly awakened who couldn't figure out how to do some simple things that I know are legitimately confusing for new players due to the UI design, there are times where it's just not fathomable to explain these game systems without getting a toe into OOC. I keep this to a minimum and restricted to situations whete I just can't conceivably do otherwise... I got an angry response for "ruining the game for him" and "breaking his immersion"... to which I apologized and ceased OOC but was much less inclined to help afterwards. I don't know whether that person was a new player or someone's alt, I tend to assume everyone is new specifically to avoid the situation you describe, Tary.

Experienced players making alts and acting as if they need to learn how the game is played down to UI details are a waste of my time.

Now if that WAS a legitimate new player, I'm concerned... People stepping into a game that's practically 20 years old and has a dated interface, can't figure out how it works, and then refuse to get some help getting started? I see an impass...
Yeah, it's silly for alts to play as though they were new and it's silly for the existing players to jump on people for going OOC when they're legitimately new.
Here's a very partial list of things I really don't care about, even though they are technically against "The Rules."
  • Mild OOC
  • Collaborating via IRC, Facebook or any other means. If you get people in-game, I don't care how you did it.
  • Emoticons
I mean, seriously, I'm 34 years old, I can play how I want and not let it bother me when someone uses a smiley face in their speech or emotes something about the Red Hot Chili Peppers. And I seriously would LOVE to see people in-game and I don't care if it's because Jeff IM'd Betsy that there was some shit going down at DoL. I'm here to have fun and play a game, not be some pedantic Roleplaying Schutzstaffel.
Golah
Dreamer

Post by Golah »

Ok so year Tary for President
SnowAngel
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Snow Angel X

Post by SnowAngel »

Tary wrote:
SnowAngel wrote:I get what you are saying but maybe we need to look at why people are leaving... and let's fix things first so that the current dreamer base wants to stay and be here... we are losing people that we should not be losing.. and I can't promote a game and encourage others to come when good, strong, solid , valid, RPers are leaving.

If you're going to say "let's fix things first" you at least need to enumerate the things that need fixing.
For example, my reasoning for not playing isn't because I'm being griefed, my reasoning for not playing is that nobody plays at a time that's amenable to my time zone.
Agreed, but I also think Golah is correct in saying that there needs to be a "forum" for open, honest discussions about why people are leaving with no repercussions or without folks getting angry... The game has a great pull to it..it draws you in.. We need the people who are leaving to feel free to express their feelings about why they are leaving and its not just because of the time of year. I know various times of year definitely take a toll but I am feeling like there is a bigger issue at hand causing good RPers to pack it up and we don't want that.
I would love to go into greater detail but can't speak for those leaving, they need to speak up and say ... "I am leaving because I am working my ass off and "X" making it impossible for me to advance or complete planned events etc" or whatever their very heartfelt specific reason is..
I realize the GMs are all volunteer and I thank them for everything they do to keep this game going but perhaps things some of them may be doing may well be cause the for others to no longer enjoy the game. This is all speculation, it is not finger pointing and not meant to piss people off... it is an attempt to "figure out" what needs to be fixed.

Hopefully it makes sense??
There are times when we stop.. We sit still... We listen and breezes from a whole other world begin to whisper.
James Carroll
Koi-Echelon

Post by Koi-Echelon »

No one has ever been punished for voicing their opinion in a civil and constructive manner.

No one ever will be.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

I can honestly say that learning the game was hell, even with good guidance, I spent so much time working on getting used to the controls and interfaces I honestly couldn't even fathom the polotics and beliefs for nearly a week, I was simply overwhelmed by the amount of information I was having to process just to play...it's been a long time since I used an interface that was this manual and required me to use so many keys simultaneously for "simple" combat I.E. lesser mares. However, I do think that mastery over that mental multiplexing is intrinsic to the game, it keeps it from being "just an FPS"
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Calabosh
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Calabosh

Post by Calabosh »

Well I can tell you why I usually leave the game. Its hard for me to get these big sphere tasks and other big quests like that done that need groups. I usually dream late at night which there is usually not many dreamers around. So hard for me to gather up a group of dreamers to do these "events". It also kinda gets really boring when no one is around and you don't have strength to gain or no one to talk to really. And the game can just piss you off to the point where you don't want to play anymore, I have gotten to that point last time. Game just made me mad as hell so I just quit playing and didn't come back tell I seen this new version came out lol. Just not lots for a warrior to do inside the city with out pissing off a bunch of dreamers by going around and shooting at them.
Slayer of beasts, breaker of rules, follower of none
Dina

Post by Dina »

I don't play as much anymore for 2 reasons.

1. I'm bored with it. The house selections suck. A certain player has been trying to get me to open another house and there are a couple or few that would love to help, but I don't see it happening. So why try? I don't believe in playing a game that srtesses me out trying to make something happen. I stopped playing WoW because in the new xpac, they make you quest to level up lol. I hate questing, so I dropped my subscription.

2. My work schedule sucks. I don't get home till 10:30 pm central time. I'm tired and don't feel like playing, it doesn't relax me, just makes it worse. My health sucks, job hours suck, so I'm not interested when I get home. Granted...I just got promoted at my job and will be HR here soon, working M-F 8-4!

I don't care about graphics, but I agree about what Tember said. More color would be nice, like in SoT.

Maybe hitting the big 40 changed me! :lol:
Tember
Dreamers of Light

Post by Tember »

Dina wrote:
Sounds like it's just that time of the month :lol: jk :lol:
Dina

Post by Dina »

Tember wrote:
Dina wrote:
Sounds like it's just that time of the month :lol: jk :lol:
:lol: Not yet!
fr3y
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Frey, Kendo, That one guy

Post by fr3y »

time of the month when she's nice ? when is that ? if anyone experiences it please please write it down for frey !

/ducks/
11:11:28: Purple Lace: Frayed logic
11:11:39: You Say: no
11:11:43: You Say: Freyed logic

I don't compete, I'm the prize.
Dina

Post by Dina »

I am only 4'11, why would you duck? You are helping me smack you Frey. :roll:
Koi-Shadow

Post by Koi-Shadow »

Please see my other post about the upcoming fireside chat.