Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Make America Whole Again

Want to talk about non-game related issues? This is the forum for it.
Tary
Dreamer

Make America Whole Again

Post by Tary »

I know the Underlight boards aren't the place for this post, but I know of no better community of great individuals than this community. We are small, diverse and dedicated to things we believe in. We are, mostly, Americans from across the many states of our great union, and we just witnessed a momentous election. (And, honestly, if you're Canadian... well, you guys elected Trudeau, so get off your high horses :twisted:).

It doesn't matter how you voted now. The elections are over and the ugliness is behind us. This has been an incredibly fracturing and divisive election and we need to focus on building bridges between us now because no matter how you slice it the vote divided pretty evenly even if the electoral college didn't. And I'm not complaining about the system in place: it is what it is, and it's been that way for hundreds of years. America is a country of fifty mini nation-states and that, too, is what makes it great. So don't complain that the system is unfair: both candidates knew about the system and they worked it to try to gain footholds in battleground states.

However. People are not states. People are individuals. If you voted Trump, there is a very strong likelihood that your next door neighbor, or the guy down the block from you voted for Hillary. And sure, maybe the fact that he bathes in patchouli oil weirds you out, but you still need to recognize that you definitely know many someones that voted differently from you. And whether that different vote went to Trump or Hillary doesn't matter. If you voted for Hillary you need to come off your high horse and realize that the Trump supporters are not "deplorables." They are citizens of the great nation of the United States of America. Just like you. Just like me.

So what can make America whole again? 50.01% of us are disappointed. 49.99% of us are overjoyed. Those are pretty thin odds. But we need to understand what made America fractured to begin with.

The constant nose-thumbing from the Northeastern elite, the reference to "deplorables," the insistence that Trump voters are bigots, misogynists and sexists. The widespread belief that if you voted for Donald Trump you must be an angry, uneducated white male with a burning cross. The dogged clinging to the belief that you are right and just and superior and care about minorities but they don't.

The idea that Clinton voters think they are elitists, arrogant, rich fat-cats. That they are ashamed of being American. The line of thought that dictates that foreigners are to blame for the state of our nation. The thinking that denying basic civil liberties to our citizenry will somehow make us great.

If you've gone through these elections, you think one of those things about the other side. But nobody is just one thing. You can vote for Trump and think gay marriage is a honking great idea. You can vote for Hillary and think that she's kind of sketchy and that NAFTA was terrible. You can vote for Trump and think that the way he acts or the things he says sometimes are unacceptable and you can vote for Hillary but believe that we need a tougher foreign policy.

Because that is what it's time for. It's time to realize that people are angry with the state of politics as it exists today. We make up a great tapestry that are these United States, from Mississippi to Massachusetts., from New York to New Mexico, from Texas to Oregon and beyond. We are tired of our politicians doggedly sticking to one mantra, one party line, one theme and not recognizing that we are not stupid, we have opinions and that it's time to discuss the things that really matter.

It's time to take back our country. To make America whole and proud again. To make us proud of wishing each other not a generic Happy Holidays, but a Merry Christmas to you, a Happy Hannukah to me and an Eid Mubarak to my neighbor. We all want America to be great. Not great again. But great. Forever.

Let's not post #NotMyPresident on Twitter. Let's not post #LockHerUp. Let's instead put this insane circus of an election season behind us with #NotMyMonkeysNotMyCircus.

God bless Underlight. Zaxun 2016.
Michael
coltdorsey
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Thunderman

Re: Make America Whole Again

Post by coltdorsey »

Thumbs up on everything you said!
Roleplayer
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Liolira

Post by Roleplayer »

My 6 year old grandson woke up and watched that his biggest fear, the bully that made in front of him and his sister because they have disabilities is president. Explain to a 6 year old, "they shouldn't have fear? I assure you, this man will do great." I didn't vote for either one, they are both unfit. If I am sour grapes, its because my six year old grandson is affected by politics, because the idiot couldn't keep hate out of the campaign.
"Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes." - Carl Jung
HarleyofCienn

Post by HarleyofCienn »

8====D
Last edited by HarleyofCienn on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tary
Dreamer

Post by Tary »

I'm not saying to embrace the president-elect or to like him. He has said and done some hurtful things that will require time to recover from. But don't hate the person who voted Trump either. Just because Bob from down the street voted for Trump doesn't mean he was blind to the man's flaws.

You don't need to embrace the president but we sure as hell need to start embracing one another.
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

The mantra for the next election could be...

"It's time for a conversation."

Progressive populism as the ideological lynchpin to unite a people would at least address the nature of the electorate in contention with the state of affairs.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

Speaking of the fact that we have canadians in the mix....any of you know any canadian girls looking for a husband? I'm neat, quiet, efficient and I rarely leave my office, oh, I was also a commercial cook and then a sous chef for several years, I do the wash and I'm quite well kept.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Roleplayer
Dreamer

Post by Roleplayer »

Because he happened to be watching TV at 730 AM waiting to go to school and they played that stupid commercial of Trump making in front of the disabled person on Good Morning America! I asked my daughter the same thing....how did he learn this? her response, getting ready for work mom, listening to the news.
Tember
Dreamer

Post by Tember »

Perhaps you can explain to your grandson the truth of the story, and that he was immitating a reporter that was groveling, and even stated that he would never make fun of a disabled person. Knowing the facts before calling the President names is a good idea.

I do like your post though, Tary. In the fact that you can give your opinion without being a douche, while still shivering me Timbers.
Last edited by Tember on Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grandma Jo
Dreamer

Post by Grandma Jo »

Uthanatos wrote:Speaking of the fact that we have canadians in the mix....any of you know any canadian girls looking for a husband? I'm neat, quiet, efficient and I rarely leave my office, oh, I was also a commercial cook and then a sous chef for several years, I do the wash and I'm quite well kept.
A/S/L hunny
Black Cloud
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Cloud

Post by Black Cloud »

Well said. Cheers!
Butterfly
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arlyana Jax

Post by Butterfly »

I am Canadian and I approve of this message!
Arlyana Jax Shaw
Sovereign of Stuffing
Amanuensis of Academia
Eternal Calenturian

Uthanatos: I don't know what you are talking about, that's not a woman, it's an AJ
Roleplayer
Dreamer

Post by Roleplayer »

Grandma Jo wrote:
Uthanatos wrote:Speaking of the fact that we have canadians in the mix....any of you know any canadian girls looking for a husband? I'm neat, quiet, efficient and I rarely leave my office, oh, I was also a commercial cook and then a sous chef for several years, I do the wash and I'm quite well kept.
A/S/L hunny
There ya go
Uthanatos
Dreamer

Post by Uthanatos »

34/M/waaaay too close to the white house for comfort. :cry:
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Tary
Dreamer

Post by Tary »

But that's the thing. It's not about the man anymore. It's not about Hillary and Trump anymore. That awful pussy-grabbing, Ben Ghazi, e-mail hiding rhetoric is over. We need to put it behind us. I'm not saying to support or not support Donald Trump. In a way this election wasn't even about Donald Trump (obviously this is just my opinion).

Protests have broken out nation-wide where people are chanting "No Trump No KKK No Fascist USA," and while I agree with the last two and while -- full disclosure here -- I did not support Trump for president, lumping his supporters together as Klansmen is offensive. It is, in fact, racist. If you voted for Trump I don't think you're a swastika sporting, card-carrying member of the Nazi party. I do think you saw the man for who he was and said, "I'm voting for him anyway because I'm tired of politicians doing nothing and maybe he'll finally do something."

Am I nervous about his presidency? Sure. But he's the president, not the king. I'm not even saying to adopt a "wait and see" approach. I'm saying, like Malarky, that it is high time that we had a conversation together. Left and right. No rallies, no signs, no screaming. A calm, civilized conversation. "I support gay rights because of X." "Muslims scare me because of Y." "We need to do something about climate change because..." Et cetera. We need to STOP YELLING and START LISTENING.

It's time to stop viewing people on one side of the line or the other. I don't care about politicians anymore, but it's time that, as people, we understand each other.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

Great post! I agree on a lot of things you mentioned. If I can finally get access to a computer tomorrow, maybe I can type up a better response.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Dina

Post by Dina »

Eveyone that has me on FB knows who I voted for lol.

Or if they know me a little bit would know hahaha.

I don't like how they are blaming Hilary's gender for not winning, considering he won more votes from women than she did. :roll:
Tary
Dreamer

Post by Tary »

Dina wrote:Eveyone that has me on FB knows who I voted for lol.

Or if they know me a little bit would know hahaha.

I don't like how they are blaming Hilary's gender for not winning, considering he won more votes from women than she did. :roll:
It's irrelevant. Let the historians decide. It's time we discussed how we're going to heal this great wide chasm between left and right because the status quo is untenable.
Tember
Dreamer

Post by Tember »

Dina wrote:Eveyone that has me on FB knows who I voted for lol. :
Uh huh, and also know that you cussed out Green Day this mornin, while defending who you voted for :geek:

And if you don't have me on your fb, ul people ( mostly TARY) add me. Tember83@yahoo.com
Uthanatos
Dreamer

Post by Uthanatos »

Let's be honest, Trump being elected, it's bad, it makes a statement about the mindset of America. However, in past elections, I have said just that, one man doesn't have that much power, it's what the American government model was built on....unfortunately, for the first time in almost a hundred years, one party controls all three branches of government, which makes it somewhat more terrifying. The presidential election is a statement, that America is okay with being an asshole sideshow, which is worrisome. It's the shift to a position that neutralizes the natural checks and balances of the system which scares the shit out of me.
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Tary
Dreamer

Post by Tary »

Uthanatos wrote:Let's be honest, Trump being elected, it's bad, it makes a statement about the mindset of America. However, in past elections, I have said just that, one man doesn't have that much power, it's what the American government model was built on....unfortunately, for the first time in almost a hundred years, one party controls all three branches of government, which makes it somewhat more terrifying. The presidential election is a statement, that America is okay with being an asshole sideshow, which is worrisome. It's the shift to a position that neutralizes the natural checks and balances of the system which scares the shit out of me.
You know I keep hearing that and I keep saying it's wrong. Majority control does not equal control. They do not have a two-thirds majority. Our founding fathers were smart.

Compromises will be reached. All is not lost. The sun will rise again. Go to Nevada, they just legalized pot - so now you can gamble away your life savings and be high as a kite at the same time. :)
Tember
Dreamer

Post by Tember »

Grrr. I was so wrapped up in this thread and my political talk in irc with TARY, that I forgot to fix my hair or put on undies, before leaving for class :(
HarleyofCienn

Post by HarleyofCienn »

:shock:
Dina

Post by Dina »

Damn straight, they should stick to what they know! Music! :lol:

Calling their fans racist, bigots, etc. for voting who they want to see President, wont keep fans! :roll:
Tember wrote:
Dina wrote:Eveyone that has me on FB knows who I voted for lol. :
Uh huh, and also know that you cussed out Green Day this mornin, while defending who you voted for :geek:

And if you don't have me on your fb, ul people ( mostly TARY) add me. Tember83@yahoo.com
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

Tember wrote:Grrr. I was so wrapped up in this thread and my political talk in irc with TARY, that I forgot to fix my hair or put on undies, before leaving for class :(
Where do I sign up for *that* class?