Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Players leaving

Want to talk about non-game related issues? This is the forum for it.
Toregord
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Toregord and others

Players leaving

Post by Toregord »

I have seen three people stop playing recently is it lack of motivation, real life, what is causing you to leave?
Braelynn
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Sidari Kai

Re: Players leaving

Post by Braelynn »

It's the ebb and flow of the game. It has always been this way. People come and go all the time, most don't bother posting about it.

There will be periods of inactivity where not many people play, then there will be an upswing and the game is packed. Been this way since forever, lol.
Owner of the infamous Night Dress and WishBringer's heart
Shae
Dreamer

Post by Shae »

The game is really about self-motivation. If you always have something to do, you'll never get bored! If nobody is bringing you things to be amused by, then create your own amazing hobbies/events/spells/poems/raids/destruction. Shae makes bombs. Shae loves bombs. Shae can share them with you if you ask her nicely.

I know that the GMs this time around said that they want to be more "hands-off" and I respect that. That gives the players more control and creativity. I can't tell you how many RPs I've been to in the last few months where players were creating spectacular emotes with such vivid detail that I'm sure all in the room were seeing the same, exact thing in their minds' eye, you know?

You can't demand that players do what you wish them to. You have to use your enthusiasm to make others enthusiastic! Attitude is contagious. Take Shae, for example. I try to emote her exactly as I am feeling at that moment. I've had people tell me that I've made them extremely sad, or very hyper.

This game is a game of words. I find it a challenge. I may go into the game one day and think to myself that I want to spread joy, where other days I may want to share my irl grumpy mood and bring the challange to others to put me in a better mood. It's a fun give and take, and the more you play, the better you get. We're creating stories with people around the WORLD. I've seen players from Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Canada, Africa... it's an amazing thing, and I never give up on this game, because sometimes the stories are just too good to walk away from. Whenever I get someone I know irl to play the game, I tell them to BRING IT and create something that I can bounce ideas off of and work with.

I don't like talking about when or why a dreamer leaves. I like to talk about what brought them back... and they always come back. I love that.
Where are all the GateKeepers?!
Voxaroth
Dreamer

Post by Voxaroth »

Remember too: Online gaming is at it's peak from late fall until early spring, because we're cooped up in our houses waiting for decent weather. Now that the sun is out longer, and people are going out and doing fun things in the evenings, a lot of people are going to "leave" the game, citing that they just don't have the time to play.

Underlight in particular gets hit harder, because it's near impossible to play sporadically and actually stay involved, so when people see a long break coming up (aka: summertime), it seems more appropriate to bid everyone farewell and stop playing. At some time in the future, during a boring snowy week perhaps, they may return and play again.
Cianne
Dreamer

Post by Cianne »

Now that the sun is out longer, and people are going out and doing fun things in the evenings, a lot of people are going to "leave" the game, citing that they just don't have the time to play.
Especially if you live in the BC coast rainforest!
:lol:

You want to grab all the sun and daylight that you can!! 8-) yay for vitamin D! and it stays light out until very late at night now.
~Practice patience and silent reflection in a moment of anger ~ It will save you infinite moments of regret~
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

what is this Sun....and outdoors? I am unfamiliar with these concepts.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
rWilricson
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Will Ricson

Post by rWilricson »

Uthy, you silly sod! When a man and a woman like each other very much... They bang and make a sun! And the outdoors is your kitchen and toilet!
The Mistress squeezes Will Ricson, a sharp cut smile forms across her face
The Mistress: sssexy and juicey
Synteny: I can't.
Tember
Dreamers of Light

Post by Tember »

These are some reasons that I have seen.

Players not getting their way, so they throw a tantrum and leave.
Boredom
They don't have time in their schedule anymore.
Having babies.
Cannot keep ic from ooc so they become stressed.
Moving on to another game.
Lack of motivation.
Too drunk or stoned (LOL)
They are not having fun.
Taking on too much responsibility that they can handle.
Promotion at work.
Got a new girlfriend/boyfriend they met on eHarmony.

Spouse does not allow it. - got caught qrping, or spouse becomes jealous of the amount of time you invest.

Or maybe because they cannot play during prime times so they miss out on a lot of the good stuff and are only around when no one else is.
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers
Character Name(s): Purple Lace, etal

Post by -Lacie- »

Ok, I don't normally go OOC, but I have to make exception here!!

Players not getting their way, so they throw a tantrum and leave. HAHAHAHA, really??? Waited 14 yrs to come back. Seriously???
Boredom Wait... bored? Try doing something original and/or NEW!!!!
They don't have time in their schedule anymore. I worked 35 yrs to get to the point where I can do this for 18 hrs a day!!!!
Having babies. Youngest turned 21 this year!!!! I'm FREE!!!!
Cannot keep ic from ooc so they become stressed. Go without 14 yrs... you'll learn how to do that!
Moving on to another game. There are other games? Ya mean SOLITARE???
Lack of motivation. Crap, do I have to say this again? FOURTEEN YEARS!!!!
Too drunk or stoned (LOL) Clean, Sober and Smoke Free!
They are not having fun. Geez...this again???
Taking on too much responsibility that they can handle. Ok, people dream of taking on too much responsibility?
Promotion at work. Work??? What the hell is that????
Got a new girlfriend/boyfriend they met on eHarmony. Questions, questions, questions....

Spouse does not allow it. - got caught qrping, or spouse becomes jealous of the amount of time you invest.Just buried my last one of those last October! Single!!!

Or maybe because they cannot play during prime times so they miss out on a lot of the good stuff and are only around when no one else is. Prime time is when you find 2 or 3 others and have a good time. Get over it!
~Lacie~
Keeper of the Eternal Shadow
Screchethan Kabal
"Cuz Clever got me this far, then Tricky got me in."
Tember
Dreamers of Light

Post by Tember »

and last but not least...

Leaving because someone blinded yo ass with their font color on the forums.

:shock:
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers
Character Name(s): Purple Lace, etal

Post by -Lacie- »

That's a thing?????'
~Lacie~
Keeper of the Eternal Shadow
Screchethan Kabal
"Cuz Clever got me this far, then Tricky got me in."
Jiovanni
Archon of Justice

Post by Jiovanni »

Players will come and players will go. With a game as old as Underlight, it's more about the nostalgia and reconnecting with old friends and memories. It's part of a community of players that have grown and evolved together over the years and through different versions of the game.

While the GMs attempt to keep the game alive, the true lifeline are the players. However, at the end of the day, we all have actual lives, responsibilities, and commitments. Most of us are no longer in our teens just killing time between school and sleep. Some have jobs, children, spouses, and boxed wine that take priority over Underlight. For those that still find time to play in between the madness... kudos.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

Jio...boxed wine? I'm appalled. Frey Sohler Pinot Gris Rittersberg 2011, phenomenal wednesday night wine, only $21 bucks a bottle...just saying.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days