Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

2 Cents Worth

Want to talk about non-game related issues? This is the forum for it.
Cianne
Dreamer

2 Cents Worth

Post by Cianne »

Just wanted to share my opinion.
Gossip Column, a good idea, we've had them in the past, all in good fun.
Though I wanted to say that I thought this one was maybe a liiiitle on the harsh side and bordering on just plain nasty at times, when looking at it again today, I was glad to see that some of the things had been edited. I also hope that Mystic Pen is getting her or his info in game, in character, and actually lurking around these places.

Keep it up, it's entertaining, but maybe a little less mean and a little more amusing :)

~Practice patience and silent reflection in a moment of anger ~ It will save you infinite moments of regret~
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Re: 2 Cents Worth

Post by Cherokee »

+1!
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Dina

Post by Dina »

Exactly.

I can tell the person just doesn't like my toons. When you are insulting players like they have and hiding behind a name, it just isn't productive for the game. I wouldn't think the GM's would really want this to be part of the game, but I guess I am wrong. Hell it could be a GM, who knows?

If you can't be positive about my toons, then please keep them out of your gossip column. Thanks
Koi-Anise
Senior GameMaster

Post by Koi-Anise »

I can assure you, it is not a GM.

Offending material will be removed.
Senior GameMaster
Anise(a)underlight.com

- A wise man once said, "Wherever you go, there you are."
HarleyofCienn

Post by HarleyofCienn »

8====D
Last edited by HarleyofCienn on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HarleyofCienn

Post by HarleyofCienn »

8===D
Last edited by HarleyofCienn on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

I'd just suggest to the Mystic Pen writer that they monitor the tone of the notes a bit more carefully 'cause some of them are a bit mean spirited. I like the idea of the gossip column (Though Arnaya hates it, it runs so contrary to her Journalist/Historian writing lol), but I'd suggest keeping it more playful so we don't get the injured feelings on the part of the different controllers :)

(PS: No, it is not me either lol ))
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Cherokee
Dreamer

Post by Cherokee »

I originally liked the idea of the Gossip Column. The false information being spread doesn't bother me, as gossip is usually a skewed version of the truth or made up altogether. It's not like it's a Fact Column.

However, the nasty tone has become more and more apparent. The last one that got removed, where my character was referred to as a "skankwhore", is were I draw the line. This has changed from a fun mystery thread and is becoming an anonymous way to insult people. I was honestly surprised that post was approved by a GM in the first place.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Koi-Wish
Founder

Post by Koi-Wish »

Your statement contradicted itself. The last one that "got removed" implies it was removed by a GM. Which it was. But you said I am surprised it got approved by a GM - There is no approval process for that thread, it was removed when it came to our attention.
Dina

Post by Dina »

I have put stuff up there and got a message where it said something like "pending approval" and it wasn't up right away. I think that is what Jade is talking about. There are other times where it just went up right away.
Cherokee
Dreamer

Post by Cherokee »

Notices and Edicts is the thread that allow you to post instantly, because those posts have a time limit and eventually disappear. Where everything posted in the Archive of the Awakened needs to be approved by a GM as the message indicates, and as Dina said. Because the Archive posts always remain.

It was brought to the GM's attention because I PMd a GM about it.

Roleplayer
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Liolira

Post by Roleplayer »

I just curious as to why a player is allowed to hide behind a pseudo name since actions of the player creates a cause and affect ripple.. and that player has to use their judgement or take the consequences of their action. Why is this player shielded and the rest of us have to deal with that dynamic?
"Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes." - Carl Jung
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

I think the community has gotten the point across. I kind of like the idea of GM's not just dropping a hammer on people for stuff like this, but giving them a chance to make a correction to an otherwise fun thing. We also don't know what happened behind the scenes, for all we know.. Mystic Pen got slapped senseless with brick and revived with a bucket of icewater in a dark dungeon under the palisades by way of warning :P
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
rWilricson
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Will Ricson

Post by rWilricson »

It makes it fun because it can't always be all happy times, there's gotta be some conflict and shit talking. People would and have done something like this IRL. Also you're taking it too personally, you're not being insulted your character is.
(Btw it's not me either)
The Mistress squeezes Will Ricson, a sharp cut smile forms across her face
The Mistress: sssexy and juicey
Synteny: I can't.
Dina

Post by Dina »

Of course I take it personally. I have been playing my chars for years. I am a bit attached... If I wasn't attached, I wouldn't be playing.
Cianne
Dreamer

Post by Cianne »

Uh oh... the maniacal mystery writer is after me now :D

(no, it's not me either :lol: )
~Practice patience and silent reflection in a moment of anger ~ It will save you infinite moments of regret~
coltdorsey
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Thunderman

Post by coltdorsey »

I'd claim to be the Mystic Pen, but no one would believe me.
Roleplayer
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Liolira

Post by Roleplayer »

I'd claim to be the Mystic Pen, but no one would believe me.
I still wouldn't believe it even if you were.

and no It is not me either. Cianne stop drinking the spring water :mrgreen:
"Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes." - Carl Jung
Noidea
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Blue; Neveren (inactive)

Post by Noidea »

rWilricson wrote:It makes it fun because it can't always be all happy times, there's gotta be some conflict and shit talking. People would and have done something like this IRL. Also you're taking it too personally, you're not being insulted your character is.
(Btw it's not me either)
I'm guessing that what really bugs people is that they can't hit back because nobody knows who Mystic Pen is - so rather than being really "conflict" it's just Mystic Pen getting to insult people at his/her pleasure without any result except that people are upset, and it's not even much of an RP thing because not knowing who it is, they can't do anything with it in-game. And if no story comes of it, it's harder not to take it personally, because there's no reaction you can make to it except to get upset and cross at it - does that make sense?

OK so that's what I think is bugging people but I think they're not looking hard enough. Mystic Pen's anonymity doesn't HAVE to rule out characters trying to fight back, in-character. I've just been reading a beloved detective novel called "Gaudy Night", about a hunt for an anonymous poison-pen writer. (I recommend it to everybody, it's a really good read.)
It may be that the moderators' intervention has successfully cut Mystic Pen down to a size everyone can laugh at and live with. If not, may I respectfully suggest a full-scale detective onslaught in-game to try and deduce who Mystic Pen is, from what they say and who they target, and bring them to justice (by brick and bucket of water if necessary!) Might catch them, might not, but that's OK. Now that would be fun, it'd be the most fun thing for ages! If Mystic Pen HAS settled down, one of us might have to invent another mystery man (on the forum or in-game) so we can detect them!
Efforts yield rewards, not words alone.