Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.2.0)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.2.0)

What arts should we tweak for the next patch - Gatekeeper

Want to talk about non-game related issues? This is the forum for it.

Passive - Damage Bonus
18%
Meditation
9%
Ward
27%
Shatter
18%
Return
No votes
Dreamquake
9%
Reflect
No votes
Bulwark
18%
Sprint
No votes
Kinesis
No votes

Total votes: 11
Koi-Diligent
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Diligent »

This is for the Willpower arts.
Jawsman
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jawsman

Re: What arts should we tweak for the next patch - Gatekeeper

Post by Jawsman »

I'll go into more detail than just the poll, because it only allows a single option without nuance.

1.) Ward: Should be tweaked so that a dreamseer's blend must be an equal or higher plateau to circumvent the ward. (Would require both arts to be tweaked, maybe?)

2.) Shatter: Could be tweaked so that a ward cannot be shattered unless the evoker's shatter is an equal or higher plateau to the ward.
8th Sphere GateKeeper / Second Focus FateSender (Presently 8th sphere)
Master Teacher
Wordsmith
Dreamsmith
Lyran-era dreamer
Ruler of the Enigmatic Order
PKChrisChan
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Nathan

Post by PKChrisChan »

This focus needs no changes. It is vastly superior in combat to the other 3 by a landslide.
Black-Lotus
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Black-Lotus

Post by Black-Lotus »

I think both of these changes have their place but they should be addons to the arts, not something that affects the arts themselves at every level out of the box. This could and should be a different topic itself, but quickly, I think having something like "Fortified Ward" at sphere 10, gives the GK this sort of a bonus with their wards. They are naturally stronger and created by a master of Will. This makes sense thematically. Think about how many people cannot get passed or break a GKs wards already. And of those, the ones that can just walk passed can only do so themselves.

Is double warding a portal still a thing? I seem to remember that prevented blending passed them... not sure about shattering though.

I agree that for the current state of GKs, they are pretty supped up as it is and should not get these types of changes out of the box. I could see something where maybe wards should not be restricted to inner plane portals, but overall I think those guys are doing pretty well for my 2 emphant's worth.
Koi-Cryptic
Managing Director

Post by Koi-Cryptic »

Double warding is still a thing, but I don't think there's enough GKs around to see this used any, plus it's something they would have to practice because if your timing isn't right, it won't work. I can see why logically it would make sense for a lower shatter to have a tougher time against a stronger ward, but I don't think this logic can really be applied because then you would have to apply that logic to everything. Stronger art beats lower art. Should a level 9 paralyze even diminish a level 90 free action? Harmful arts degrade protective arts, but with the exception of Meditation vs Poison, I don't think any protective arts degrade harmful arts. Why wouldn't that work both ways? What happens when 50 paralyze is used again 50 free action? Nothing? This is all dangerous territory in my opinion. Diving into things like this would potentially risk Fatesenders being even further weakened, or way over powered if things leaned towards how SoT was.

Personally, I think GKs are just fine where they're at. If I were to tweak anything, I would make it to where GKs don't need an Amulet to pass through their own ward because I've always hated the logic behind it. I understand why it is that way, but with the ability to dual focus allowing GKs to learn Blend, it just further destroys the need for Amulet at all. A smart GK will never hand out their Amulet to anyone. Just shatter the ward real quick, let whoever through, and ward again.

I mentioned this on the post about SM arts, but I would also tweak Bulwark to make it a higher % priority target for Abjure over other active effects.
Black-Lotus
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Black-Lotus

Post by Black-Lotus »

I definitely agree with being able to pass through your own Wards without the need of an amulet. If that wasn't a change that could happen, perhaps updating Amulet so that the charges can be selected to go up to the plateau level. Currently it is just 1-10. Giving someone an amulet that has 80+ charges on it is a big risk, but that GK should know all about it by now.

I also think that amulets should have the option to be named. I think it opens up a little bit of RP and could be cool. Definitely not a make or break sort of deal for the art, but just a little tweak that could be fun. Another angle could be integrating it into Forget Talisman. Someone with the arts of GateKeeper and Forge Talisman can create an amulet (that is permanently locked to their own ID) with whatever shape and charges. that would cover both the charges, names, an RP part of it. They could be expensive PT-wise which still makes Amulets a quick and easy solution, especially in combat where you don't want to chance dropping 50 DreamSoul.
PKChrisChan
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Nathan

Post by PKChrisChan »

Reflect is insta cast at higher plateaus. As is a lot of arts, doesn't need targeting and costs vastly more resources and button presses for the SoulMaster, or any other focus. The SM actually has to allocate DreamSoul, Alterors and Resilience. I can not even articulate how many alts charges I have to use to drop Reflect, only for it to come right back up immediately due to it being on talismans for GMs or 7+ GK.

At 70+ you can literally evoke it in the space between two chakrams shots. If you need evidence this:

https://youtu.be/QM-2UXjftw8?si=HkNTpOBDKeofWBGs

(8:10ish)

Ignoring 60% of arts used against you is drastically powerful.

Bulwark is super OP already as it also is insta cast as well and is an pseudo permanent 15% damage reduction. There were approximately 4 times in that video where bulwark saved a ~10 DreamSoul Harkyn.

As for Ward. I can agree in today's age. The Evoker should be able to pass their own wards.
Athena
Dreamer

Post by Athena »

PKChrisChan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:55 am Reflect is insta cast at higher plateaus. As is a lot of arts, doesn't need targeting and costs vastly more resources and button presses for the SoulMaster, or any other focus. The SM actually has to allocate DreamSoul, Alterors and Resilience. I can not even articulate how many alts charges I have to use to drop Reflect, only for it to come right back up immediately due to it being on talismans for GMs or 7+ GK.

At 70+ you can literally evoke it in the space between two chakrams shots. If you need evidence this:

https://youtu.be/QM-2UXjftw8?si=HkNTpOBDKeofWBGs

(8:10ish)

Ignoring 60% of arts used against you is drastically powerful.

Bulwark is super OP already as it also is insta cast as well and is an pseudo permanent 15% damage reduction. There were approximately 4 times in that video where bulwark saved a ~10 DreamSoul Harkyn.

As for Ward. I can agree in today's age. The Evoker should be able to pass their own wards.
Yeah, reflect is just way too much even for Athena. She doesn't even try to Abjure the Darks anymore. It just seems useless and a waste of supplies. Like on the video that Nathan posted. Harkyn, I'm sure had the same level as the Darks. Athena did more help with just Restoring. Leaving SMs with just one job aka, boringggg. I feel it is too strong, BUT even Restore was always reflected off of the GK, which shouldn't be IMO. Helpful arts shouldn't be able to be reflected.