Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

The Saga of the Spherical Quadrant

Lore, history and other content by the citizens of Underlight preserved for posterity.
Jawsman
House of Calenture
Character Name(s): Jawsman

The Saga of the Spherical Quadrant

Post by Jawsman »

Jawsman blinked at the flash of light as his daughter Lexiana woke.

"I'm here alone with Harkyn, so I refuse to let my guard down." Jawsman thought to himself.

So he made small talk about how to climb the wall leading to the top of the building.

Looking out from on top of the so-called "Lizard House," Jawsman thought he saw a figure amongst the shallow waters. It appeared briefly, then disappeared.

Not long after, Harkyn said to Jawsman, "Why is HC top on sense?" Jawsman had no answers for him, but wondered the same, as only two of its members were dreaming besides him. As Jawsman pondered that further, Harkyn suddenly woke, leaving him alone.

A small green object on the pathway caught his attention. "How did this get here?" Jawsman wondered aloud. After inspecting the object, he evoked his translocate. It aruptly stopped.

"Is this thing really that special?" He muttered, before trudging away from the closed house, across the broken bridge, and back through the Lost Sea.

(A short time later in the Library of Dreams)

Jawsman explained his findings to Almodozo, a Ruler of the Order of the Sable Moon. Almodozo whispered to him "You want us to hold that for you?" Jawsman shook his head and told him he wanted to find out what it did first.

Jawsman had suspected it was Harkyn's, as he was in the area. But could it have belonged to one of the lizard folk? Or maybe the strange being that appeared for only a short time. Too many options, but no way to confirm it. It would have to wait until he saw Harkyn but for now, it was legitimate salvage.

(The next day)

Jawsman entered The Teaching Guild, a place he'd been many a time for the bi-weekly Study Hall, where all dreamers could supposedly come for tasks of all types.

The artifact, somehow being named Spherical Quadrant despite being a harp, sat in a secure location known only to him.

As Jawsman stared into the center fountain, Ruler Athena of the Dreamers of Light entered.

She claimed the artifact belonged to Harkyn, and demanded its return. "Return?" He thought. "I'll be damned if I am going to be bullied by their house." Before he could continue that train of thought, Harkyn walked in, bandying about in a similar manner to Athena.

Harkyn said, which one? Jawsman responded, "I'm not playing this game with you Harkyn. So I will wake."

Jawsman had many confrontations with Harkyn before, so he had every reason to believe Harkyn and Athena would manipulate the situation to their advantage. He wondered what the origin of Harkyn's angst was. He wondered what DoL's stake in it was. How could Harkyn claim ownership of an artifact that he found? Well, he was a pirate after all. But the City Guard knew nothing about Celestine's kidnapping by the lizard people. So what reason did he have to believe Harkyn could ever act selfless or in good faith? Or that the City Guard had the city's best interests at heart?

Jawsman found himself in a cold sweat as he woke up, his cloned body adjusting to the malfunctioning environmental controls in his suite. Jawsman steeled himself, tapped a device activating an implant in his brain, and reentered the dream.

"I'm going to grab this damn thing and toss it in a river of blood somewhere." He thought as he wandered aimlessly, having evoked his mindblank. He decided to sit in a corner along the path towards the closed Alliance of the Eclipse house. A sudden exclamation of Ahoy! nearby and Jawsman awoke again.

Jawsman stood up from his bed and went to the jacuzzi in his suite. He continued to ponder his next move, as jets of warm water massaged his body, easing his anxiety. He had not yet shared with others what his plan would be. His allies had not been dreaming this evening. But for now, a game of cat and mouse.

He wandered back to his bed, dripping water all over the floor, not caring about the mess.

He once again laid on his back and tapped the device on his temple.

Back in the city of dreams, he decided to wander towards an old sanctuary along the pathway to the old Protectors of the Radiance house.

Yet, Harkyn found him again, with Athena in tow, and negated his mind blank with a soul shield.

Harkyn spoke, and told him that DoL declared war against House Calenture, although he wasn't sure why they'd get involved. Athena chimed in, remarking on Harkyn finding me.

Harkyn claimed the Harp was from the Palisades and had dropped from the ceiling. "So..." Jawsman thought. "That was never really his to begin with."

Aloud, Jawsman responded simply, "In the game of the cat and the mouse, the mouse is safe if it stays in the house. The mouse knows its defense is evasion, because the cat is immune to persuasion."

Jawsman then translocated to a place where neither could reach him, and waited for the soul shield to wear off.

Looking at the floor, Jawsman stared at the emerald-encrusted harp, as if gazing at it long enough would allow him to discern the very origins of chaos itself.

He had to be patient and bide his time.
Ruler of House Calenture
8th Sphere GateKeeper / Second Focus FateSender (Presently 8th sphere)
Master Teacher
Wordsmith
Lyran-era dreamer