Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

New Wielder of the Club of Nuvas

Lore, history and other content by the citizens of Underlight preserved for posterity.
Starfall
Dreamer

New Wielder of the Club of Nuvas

Post by Starfall »

Writers note: The Club of Nuvas ("The Club") and the Mace of Castigation are not the same tool. The Mace of Castigation is no more. A memorial to those lost has been erected at Xun Dal J'han's Vista in the Lower Basin of Stars.

Secret in the Lost Caves (1/6/21)
On or around January 2nd, The Club of Nuvas was removed by a mysterious dreamer from AoE's ruler's lounge by force. An investigation led to the conclusion that an ancient art of Summon Prime had been used to rip it free of its bonds and spirit it off to parts unknown.

A concerted effort by several dreamers, including myself, Liolira, and others began in earnest to seek out the Club. In the first hours we canvassed the city we searched the open and visible areas. Then in the following days we moved on to less accessible parts.

It was during my thorough search of the Crystal Maze, both from above with flight and on foot with Sprint, that the Oracle called out to me. I was summoned before the Club which rested within the Ambience. For context, if a room is a crystal, the Ambience is surrounding it, but behaves much like its facets: When viewing from the outside, it can be difficult to accurately judge where objects are in relation to one another due to distortion. So to say it existed in "Nerith's Cavern" in the Lost Caves is only partially true. It existed in a pocket of the Ambience that the city treats as if it were Nerith's cavern, but is in fact not.

The Oracle informed me that the Club's location was a secret known only to the Oracle, myself, and the dreamer who brought it there. I swore to protect that secret, and I did.

Showdown in the Lost Caves (2/18/21)

Last night, while working with Pure Rage's efforts to clean up the Dreamer's Cup Arena, we detected Eldryck dreaming in the Lost Caves. A lightning bolt was visible across the sky, even to those in rooms with roofs. The time for secrecy had ended, and the Club was in danger of being rediscovered by Eldryck.

Fearing the worst, I told everyone to get to the Lost Caves and prepare to stop Eldryck from retrieving the Club. Pure Rage and I climbed to the hidden Ambience pocket where the Club was kept. Eldryck arrived, remarked, "Hm," and departed. There was nothing more to be done as the Club could not be lifted and brought to safety.

Shortly afterward, Harkyn arrived in force, having rallied most of DoL to the site of the Club. He attempted to claim the Club for himself. I informed him that the Club would not be lifted except by its chosen wielder. He tried again, with the assistance of Ruben, Flower of Cienn, and others. The Club did not budge, but suddenly it disappeared in a cloud of smoke and reappeared in the hands of Dumah.

The Oracle pronounced Dumah to be the Wielder, and Dumah departed for HC to store the Club safely.

The Oracle Speaks to Dumah (2/18/21)

At House Calenture, the Oracle asked for a private meeting with Dumah as the new Wielder. Liolira attended to support him, and requested that I be brought in to document the occasion.

The Oracle instructed Dumah that he must eat two specially prepared brownies or else he would perish from the bonding. Liolira spoke prayers to Lady Calenture, "Lady Calenture, your warrior has been called, please hold him in your embrace, protect him as he does battle against the most vile and evil weapon this city currently houses. I pray he is under your protection and care."

Dumah rapidly consumed the brownies, nearly inhaling them. At which point he was forced to wake. Liolira was concerned, but I compared it to waking to bind a sphere. The bonding is comprehensive. When Dumah returned, he bore a red ring around his sphere crest indicating a Dreamstrike master. The Oracle informed him that he must display his crest now for all to see. Liolira then drew a set of protective tattoos on Dumah, sealing them with the Dual Triune of House Calenture.

The Oracle then spoke the following truths to us:

"The Club is an instrument of great illusion. Eldryck has dreamstrike. The Club prevented it from being reality. Absorb those words. Dissect them."

Dumah suggested that it meant that Eldryck could not use it without the Club. I shook my head and said that was not what the Oracle had said.

I shared that when Eldryck uses the Club, the "dreamstrike" is only an illusion. It is in fact preventing him from actually dreamstriking anyone with the true art, which he does possess. And without the Club, Eldryck's danger is real, now.

Liolira cut in to point out that Eldryck had not had a red ring on his crest last time it had been seen.

"He had it removed by another with the Mark. But it is his to have or not."

To the question of why use the Club, Liolira pointed out that Eldryck — deep down — does not want to kill. He feels hurt, and rejected, and fills that need with false love.

The Oracle shared the following warnings:

"If you use the art, Dumah, you will enrage the Circle. Eldryck did not enrage the Circle, for he did not truly Strike.[Due to the Club] The Circle is a group of DreamStrikers who swore an oath to protect the fell art. You know of many of them, many more remain hidden."

When Liolira tried to guess names of members of the Circle, the Oracle continued:

"I do not speak of the members of the Circle, or those that are not. For they are themselves to reveal or not. They exist. If you use [Dreamstrike], you will enrage the Circle and they will come for you. And most likely, him[Eldryck]."

At this point OfF Kilter arrived and the discussion shifted to how to destroy the Club. The Oracle questioned the wisdom of destroying misunderstood things.

The Oracle reminded Dumah that if Dumah were to be holding the Club when using the art of DreamStrike, it would be an illusion for him just as it was for Eldryck. It would only be if Dumah used the art without the Club that it would be real.

Those present resolved to contact Silk Nuvas regarding how best to proceed. The Oracle informed those gathered that Silk was several years away in a place called Sunrig. The Oracle said that only Silk would be able to answer the question of why holding the Club confers DreamStrike if it also binds it to being an illusion.

The Oracle reached out to send a message across time to Silk Nuvas. The reply remains to be heard.

_-*

Dumah being informed of the need to eat:

Dumah being forced awake, then returning (image is after he returned):

Dumah displaying the DreamStrike Master's Mark:

The Oracle's Message:
_-*
I want to have adventures and take enormous risks and be everything they say we are.
-Dorothy Allison