Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Hold NIghtmare a work in progress

Lore, history and other content by the citizens of Underlight preserved for posterity.
Drizzt
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Drizzt Do'Urden

Hold NIghtmare a work in progress

Post by Drizzt »

The work below is an attempt to create a new art I am calling Hold Nightmare. These are my field notes so please forgive and syntax or spelling errors. Any theories or suppositions are purely my own and come from my own observations . I welcome any input. If anyone wishes to read the codices I have taken these notes from please feel free to find me in the Dream.
I have posted these notes in unabridged for to preserve the flow of ideas as I was writing them down.
~Drizzt

I have attempted to channel more Resilince with the focus of creating a net or roots to entangle the mare. The effort in forcing Trap to do something it wasnt designed for is more than I expected. But I can see some results! The mare was held for a bit longer this time. I shall change my focus to trying to limit the trap effect on the next test run. As I suspected Agoknights make the best test subjects. Although I am still curious about testing the art on a Dreamer in NMF, for purely academic reasons.....

For this test I enlisted the aid of my wife Shalandra, as she used her flame to weaken the Agoknight I evoked Trap Mare once again. This time focused not on trapping the mare, but solely on the effect I have witnessed so many times this hold effect. With some effort I increased the time it took to accually effect the target. Limiting the trap effect and expanding on the hold effect. As Shal flamed the beast I stood off to the side, chameled, and focused on the result I was seeking. For 1.7 seconds the mare just stopped! It could not move forward or backward, although it did seem capable of attacking with Blast, it was unable to move its limbs! Shalandra then collapsed it before the Trap effect could. I believe that with some more developement this art could be come a reality! I will conduct another test on a Shamblix to see if I can get the same result.
This time in Albino caves, Shalandra once again assisting. The process is the same, I chamele and she flames away. I start evoking, taking even more time, focusing on the effect I want and, for several hours no results at all. Just eventually Trapping the Shamblix (whom Shal has named Steve), we deside to make one last attempt before waking for the evening. This time I work toward eliminating the Trap effect completely, just letting the hold effect take place. I feel the resilience build as I hold it in check. With a sudden bust of power, it seems to completely overwhelm me and Steve! Shal has the beast almost collapsed. I feel the drain of my resilience and Steve, stops all motion. For almost 2 and a half seconds. Then he is in motion again. Unfortunately my chamele has worn off as had Shals FA. We make a run for it, as Steve roars in anger at us, blasting away with Chakrams. We escape out the nearest portal, battered and brusied but whole.
I believe that the best test subjects will be Agoknights or perhaps Dreamers who are in NMF. I shall take what I have learned from the experiments with the other mares and see if I can apply this knowledge to forming the art. I shall endevor to isolate the hold effect from Trap and expand on it.
Mare is held briefly before collapse, the effect, at present is too quick to be of any use. By channeling more resilience into the evoke I have managed to extend the time the mare is held. The level of the art seems to be too strong for the smaller mare. Further experiments on strong mares will most likely yield better results.
Results much the same as the Emphant. Although the first evoke didnt trap the mare, it did seem to hold it for a moment. The second evoke did trap the mare and the effect seemed more pronounced as the mare collapsed. I used Restore a few times to get the secondary effect of Energy Shield, to see if that would hold off the collapse of the mare so I might get a longer Hold effect. This unfortunately did nothing. I think stronger mare would be more benifical at this point.
Since Trap is ineffective until the mare is damamged, my hope was to see if the hold effect is more evident. I am pleased to say that is is the case! For a moment, however brieftly, the mare stopped moving. Although it did seem able to attack, it couldnt move or turn! Once the mare is damaged the effect does become more pronounced. It is a balancing act. Damage the mare enough that it resists trap, but not so much that it ignores the Hold effect. I have high hopes that I can increase this effect
Due to the level of my Trap Mare, the Shamblix did not yield the results I was hoping for. The effect was even less that than of the Agoknight, which while not completely unexpected, was a bit disheartening. Although the Hold effect was harde to notice but seemed to still happen right before collapse.
The attempt to create the art is made.
Dreamers present to assist
Pinhook (SM)
Grunzel (SM)
Nmoto (GK)
Icarus (DS)
Fin Marda (DS)
Shalandra (FS)
Restel (FS)

These notes I have taken from my memory as I recounted the failure, (sorry for giving away the ending) to OfF KilTer. < I have edited OfF’s “active listening responses in the interest of time>

I came to the conclusion that I would need to combine distilled versions of these two elements with a Dreamsoul binder to give me a power boost or even a one shot evoke.
So I set about gathering my own Resilience, Lucidity and Dreamsoul and distilling them down to almost pure forms.
I then figured out the best place to combine them would be the Lab in Lost Caves, it would also be the best place to test it as there are many Bogroms there which for this final test would be the best test subject
So after the house meeting last night, and with the help of the other I mentioned early I made my attempt to combine the elements together.
I had them all channeling there focus elements to me, with the except of Nmoto, I asked him to keep Soul Shied on me as I would have to work inside the font in the Lab, which is rather painfull
I managed to combine them but I didnt realize my mistake at first.
We moved out to find a Bogrom. Which was easy. I then attempted to evoke the art, asking the others to observe since I was going to be busy messing around with a focus lens pinhook fashioned to assist me and the combined elements
I managed to get 3 full evokes, before everything crumbled away, its energy spent.
The effect I was looking for didnt happen at all. Restel pointed out that the evoke looked very similar to Trap, which made sense since that was the art I based everything on
I started going over my notes again, and it say Shal that pointed out I didnt have any Will in the mix, because I had Nmoto evoking SoulShield instead.
Art Mechanics
Hold Nightmare: Holds a nightmare in place. Cost: 20 Resilience. SoulMaster Major art. Learnable at orbit 60. Plateau improvements: Decreased evoke time, extended Duration
[Peer Review of the work so far.
Ballaster - This is exciting times in the dream. To actually be able to trap a mare would be very beneficial. As I read all the trials on this so much work has been done, and from the sounds of it agonights will be the first mares that may be trappable. I look forward to see how this all goes.
Fin Marda- It's hard for me to comment on Hold Mare since it's based on Trap Mare which I'm very unfamiliar with. However, having participated in the Third Experiment , I do have a thought or two. It seems to me that you have to work on one type of lesser mare at a time. Start with the Agoknight and find the right timing to evoke the Trap Mare so that it holds the mare for a long enough period. I might ask what is the purpose for holding the mare? Your purpose should be the driving force to determine sufficient time.
Anyasha - I would look at adding something new to Trap Nightmare in order to make it into "Hold Nightmare". Repeated attempts at Trap, no matter the nightmare type, are unlikely to ever yield different results without a change in circumstance. My gut would be to try and incorporate Paralyze or at least some essence of Lucidity. Maybe something with a choking steam? Heat the water as it encases the mares. ADDITION: Anyasha and I spoke after she handed me the review codex. Her thoughts are to use Peace Aura in addition instead of Lucidity, I cannot disagree. I have begun work on how to incorporate Peace Aura to the mix instead.