Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Recovered ~Tattered Journal Pages~

Lore, history and other content by the citizens of Underlight preserved for posterity.
Cianne
Dreamer

Recovered ~Tattered Journal Pages~

Post by Cianne »

Musings of an OLD Soul ~ - Longevity ~
Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:30 am

As I ponder my dreams and life, I wonder if anyone truly "get's it" and I can only
venture to guess..no, they really don't.

For in these dreams, very few tend to delve into the lives, shards, or beginnings of others anymore.

I joke often about my age, about being old..to which I am usually met with.."Oh shut up you are not old!" or something
similar.
Well, the time has come to tell you, as none have ever asked, that I do not jest when I speak of being old
and feeling old. Though in my dreams, I physically project as I would have liked to stay.

I am Cianne Andrea McCleoud, and I was born in 1879 - which makes me.... 137 years old.

I have been a Midwife on my shard now for 119 years, watched friends and family as time passed all die all around me,
but I continue on. I decided an eon ago to seclude myself, not marry or have children,
for it is better to be alone than suffer the pain of loss over and over and over.

I cannont explain this longevity, though over the years I have heard tell of a wisened gentleman in the hills who is reputedly
over 200.

Maybe I will try to make the trip some day to see him to try to find answers.

*c
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Time passes........

So I have some time to write in my journal and want to keep a record of this for...
well whoever. If they find me frozen on the mountain top here they can pry my journal out of my
frozen crunchy fingers and bury me in a pyramid of snowballs!!, though I don't know who "they"
would be, there are not many who would make this trek!

It took me a couple of days to get up here, I stopped to rest frequently as there are many a
crevasse and overhang along the way where I could hunker down and warm up a bit.

When I reached the summit I immediately saw an opening in an icy cave, there was a plume of
smoke rising from the top, which was a welcome sight. Upon entering the cave I was surprised
to see it had been transformed into what I can only describe as a comfy little "parlour", I thought
of Anacakes ,when the first word that came to my mind was "nifty!"

I was greeted by a grandfatherly looking old fellow with kind eyes. He welcomed me
and sat me down in front of his makeshift fireplace and gave me a steaming beverage
which I had never tasted before, it was somewhat bitter with an underlying sort of..
"sappy" sort of taste..but also reminded me of the birch bark that some of the villagers like to chew on.

I felt quite relaxed after the drink and the fire and I began to ask questions of my host...
many questions, I was firing them left and right like a mad woman! But my new friend
simply smiled with the occasional chuckle..and I found myself falling into a deep sleep.

When I woke up I found myself tucked into a corner on a soft woven mat, covered in a fuzzy
blanket made from some sort of animal hide.

My kind host gave me a small meal of a simple bread baked on a stone and some delicious
berries that I've not had before.
I spoke of my longevity, and I asked him if he had any answers...

He gave me another cup of the steaming tea and I settled in to hear his tale.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
More Time......

Many days have passed, much tea has been consumed, and many words have been spoken.

I am still trying to get a handle on these moments and process all that has been told to me. To say that it was unbelievable,
even preposterous, would be an understatement.
I am not yet ready to share this revelation, As I am still trying to grasp the information that I
have learned from my new friend.

He has asked me to stay on for a bit. So I will, for a few days, and then make my trek back down the mountain
in another week or so.

*c
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Present Day:

My recollection of those events these years hence, end there. I never did share the revelation, as I
was suddenly and unexpectedly unable to find my way to my dreams and our City.
As I gather my thoughts now, over the coming days, I will reveal to you what I had learned from the mountain Sage.

~c~
~Practice patience and silent reflection in a moment of anger ~ It will save you infinite moments of regret~