Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Prospecting in Gloom

Lore, history and other content by the citizens of Underlight preserved for posterity.
OfF KiLTeR
Dreamer
Character Name(s): OfF KiLTeR

Prospecting in Gloom

Post by OfF KiLTeR »

I was recently tasked to prospect for a few locations for a new sanctuary.

My process was to first identify locations that did not have a Sanctuary to begin with. I have found the following locations to not have any known sanctuary:

Caudal Rift
Dorsal Rift
The Upper Pallisades
Threshold Caves
Gloom Peaks.

After exploring the locations mentioned, I believe that all but Threshold Caves and Gloom Peaks are incapable of sustaining a proper sanctuary, due to chaotic influences or the very nature of the planes. The Pallisades are a prison and comfort and safety are not their core purpose. The Rifts are, by their very existence, too chaotic to support a meaningful sanctuary.

Threshold Caves is a mysterious plane. While I think it could sustain a sanctuary, I think the only way would be to place it in the maze - which might not be all that helpful. I do find the idea of a sanctuary that can only be accessed through the maze or the path of madness somewhat amusing.

Instead I have scoured Gloom Peaks as it is where I have spent countless hours genning, thinking, hunting, and carrying on with friends.

The best location I could find would be the off-shoot of the main path in Ruby Cliffs.

There are several reasons I chose this location - mostly due to it being the simplest location to work with. It is also just off of the main path between Illapse and Basin of Stars - meaning it is a safe place to stop off along the way if being harried by Darks or Datoken.

I think there is ample space to seal the small cave and then carve out the location from the inside. I think that the room, if trenched in the right direction could drop a second portal right over Larrod's retreat which is an offshoot of Wounded Falls.

The ceiling and roof are already supported by rock and there may be room for a skylight to allow in some daylight. The portals should be easily fashioned into the rock and perhaps a funnel portal like those in Albino or Threshold Caves could be implemented into the floor to bring one to Larrod's retreat.

I also think it is important to have access to a Sanctuary close to the Breach. If something were to go wrong for a dreamer, having half the distance to Illapse to go would be beneficial to all dreamers. I have also included an extremely rough diagram of what I imagine the new location to look like.

We may also want to excavate the roof of some of the larger rock to ensure it does not collapse in on the dreamers inside.

[timg]https://imgur.com/3gowKga[/timg]