Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

FateSending, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Being A Trickster

Lore, history and other content by the citizens of Underlight preserved for posterity.
Mengyao
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Mengyao

FateSending, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Being A Trickster

Post by Mengyao »

A lengthy parchment pinned to the board spills down the length, drivel pinned in red ink.

I was asked to declare the nature of my focus, FateSender, but describing the nature of a natural born jester is a little hard, so instead, I'm going to babble on about how I feel about things. FateSenders are sorely underrepresented in the Dream, though not as much as GateKeepers. It's a little bit of a pain to find a straight FateSender Teacher, or at least one that was a FateSender natively, which leads me to believe people undervalue our capabilities and Element.

The ability to change how others perceive the very dream they walk around in is incredibly powerful, even if there are a lot of things to protect against them. Removing any of our basic senses is something that we should all fear, which is exactly WHY there are so many Arts to counter and prevent such things. Enfeeblement cripples, and Blind does exactly what it says. Deafen removes conversational skills, and awareness in battle. Stagger disrupts and Scare reduces a Dreamer to little more than an infant, terrified of it's own shadow. Paralyze renders one unable to act in the face of anything, and Trail makes sure you remember where you came from, which is one of the most important things.

Being a FateSender is a lot like a burning blaze, which is why I suppose that is the corresponding Element. If you properly master Fire, you can control it, use it to illuminate or incinerate, control pathways by obscuring the proper routes with hazard, but left uncontrolled, it could wind up turning in on yourself and causing nothing but pain to you and others. The ability to perceive the strings that control us all on one level or another means FateSenders attract ire more often than not, may it be from those with their strings being tugged or those who hold the strings of many others in their control bar. I've seen some betray the trust that others rightfully place in them and use them to become a manipulator themselves, a truly dangerous foe given the innate skills a FateSender has. Allowing your passion or rage to control you is just like letting a Fire burn untended, it will eventually consume you and lead to your ruination.

Admittedly, I've only been a FateSender, or even Dreaming for a scant few months at this point, but I feel like FateSenders are feared and rightly so as dangerous combatants, crafty manipulators and clever politicians. But that doesn't encompass the whole Focus. Some want freedom for all, some want to be stronger to help fend off DarkMare, and me? I want to Dream, and help others understand exactly what their purpose is without the influence of others leading them astray.

I am Mengyao, a Fourth Sphere FateSender and a Trickster through and through, and this is what I believe FateSending to be.