Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Duality

Lore, history and other content by the citizens of Underlight preserved for posterity.
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers
Character Name(s): Purple Lace, etal

Duality

Post by -Lacie- »

n., The quality or condition of being dual. An instance of opposition or contrast between two concepts or two aspects of something; a dualism.

Two sides, seeing the middle, and refusing to begin to accept the other. Conflict. War.

This has taken her far beyond what she had ever imagined, and the path still lay before her... like a mistress. Why had it taken her ~this~ sort of Sacrifice to learn the Truth? But there it was, clear as the waters on Lambent, right in front of her.

This, of course, begs several different questions and points of view. Why? Why didn't Dreiko and BladeSlayer reveal this? Why? Did they See, and not recognize? Recognize, but withhold? Surely not. Their egos would never have allowed that. Thunderman, GateKeeper... 'nuff said.

Perhaps they didn't ~See~ it. We experience so much within the City that we turn a Blind eye to, that this isn't outside the realm of possibility. But Dreiko's a Seer, and that would have really ground at him. Maybe that's why he has that gruff expression all the time.

No, there was a reason why this hasn't been brought to the Light, which landed it squarely on her shoulders. Blasting a new Trail. EnVisioning.... the Blind. Duality.

Questions... Unknowns... too many to stop and consider. She had to lay the science out, prove the theorem, otherwise it was just words on a page, or a burp from behind lips.

JOURNAL ENTRY XL: DUALITY

The sudden infusion of Lucidity into an avatar filled so long with deep Insights caused a rush to gain as much knowledge and control over the new. That.. had to stop. A week of complete rest and seclusion has returned me, for the most part, to the Seer I prefer. Only... with added abilities. The Lure of Duality is very strong, and must be kept in check.

The Experiment will proceed. First steps will include raising the temperature of the Cauldron, to near maximum. The Elemens will need to be of finest quality & pure. One Combined of each will suffice. Then there's the Alterors. Unknown on which will be best. Definitely four needed.

Then there's the Dreamer Essences. While we have plenty, some don't need to be used in this process. So... Assess and Contract for those needed. Will also require 3-4 Kotoke essences. Contract.

Run the experiments on the Fire Within to assess strength, durability and side-effect. Three prong possible, several processes. May need to set up in Cache instead.

~Lacie~
Screchethan Kabal
Guardian of the Light
~Lacie~
Keeper of the Eternal Shadow
Screchethan Kabal
"Cuz Clever got me this far, then Tricky got me in."
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers

Duality #2

Post by -Lacie- »

A Dreamer spends years learning about themselves and their focus. And yet, here she was, a master of her own focus, trying to engulf as much information and knowledge about her ... other focus, in as short a time period as possible. Balance seems to be lacking in this area.

She pauses long enough to underline the last sentence a few times.

"At least I know enough about dreaming and the City to forego having to learn simply ~e'erything~ at once." Now she was talking to herself... again.

"That can't e'er be a good thing... ne'er is." she muttered to herself.

The Cauldron had been prepared; the temperature of the flames was steadily rising. Preparation of the ingredients was next.

She spent some time examining the Mortar and Pestle for any flaws, cracks or weaknesses. Then, one at a time, each Pure Elemen was placed within, grinding and pulverizing each scrap of the Elemen.
She placed the powder into separate vials and replaced them between the Dreamer Essences on the negative DreamSoul pad. The opened vials gently vibrated with the rhythm of the Cauldron, causing the powder within to shake only slightly. The Negative DreamSoul of the surrounding pad was beginning to shake the powder, shifting any impurities to the top.

She focused her attention to the few bottles of Cursed Arts. "Not enough... I need more!" She set the Alterors down and went in search of ingredients.

~Lacie~
Screchethan Kabal
~Lacie~
Screchethan Kabal
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers

Duality #3

Post by -Lacie- »

She has lost track of where ... when she was. The two had become one now. Fusion had occurred and with great success at completion. When she was in the City, it was as if she wasn't.... and when she was in her Box... she truly believed she was in the City of Dreams.

Duality.

"This was why Silver made the decision she made. I understand it now, and am almost envious of her choice. She may have made the wisest decision of us all."

She couldn't tell if the quill was in her hand, or if her hand was on the journal's soft parchment. She couldn't tell if it mattered any more. What was left of her singularly must be... had to be documented, in case ... things change.

Journal Entry XLII

formulae

ss + drs + <-luc>/crsed <-luc> alt = Ӽ

5*Trail crstls + (air fleck * .47% solution) - freeze in albino mud 2 weeks.
(Chip into shards, mix with gloom lava only!)

pwd terra/(.5 sol Ӽ * water) - heat 300 (in earthenware over coals)

luc/cursed + mb<-1> / primal water = ϓ

Ӽ ̐̐ +ϓ̐̐ = ̐̐ʑ

notes

1. Continue collecting samples of Lucidity arts at each plateau. Vials still on east wall. Shake regularly.

2. Scare and Stagger globules should be ready by week's end.

Somehow I have to get this work finished. I must open that Sphere ... and soon.

Her hand trembles... just a little.

~L~
~Lacie~
Screchethan Kabal
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers

Duality #4

Post by -Lacie- »

The evening had brought much back to the surface within her. Belom reminded her of just what had happened to her so many eons ago. She reflected upon the experience, still not understanding how a few days to her had actually been a decade and a half to mortals. But it had been verified to her satisfaction that she took their claim as fact. It didn't mean she liked the conclusion much though.

She had let her guard down, for only a moment, and suffered the ultimate consequence. And having been rescued when so much had changed was almost as bad as hearing their footsteps and guessing what they were doing. She had to make sure as much clarity and logic was passed on as possible. The Unknowns were many, diverse and much more powerful than Dreamers were ready to admit. Time was short.

The classes would help though. They brought things back down to a logical, ordered level. This has been missing in the City lately. The hope was that she could spread some of this logical thinking to others before...

Journal Entry XLIV

notes on formulae

Trail crstls frozen perfectly. When tapped gently with lg ruby, shattered into extremely sharp shards. Liquefaction will begin once shards have thawed and settle. Too dangerous to grind while frozen. Will Combine with Gloom lava soon.

Terra solution simmering well. Luted pots still holding seal, tho I can catch a hint of the content's aromas now and then.

Ӽ ̐̐ +ϓ̐̐ = ̐̐ʑ

She closed the journal and let it fall from her lap. Her quill, most always in her hair, fell alongside the journal. There was too little time, she thought. Could she get all she needed to do done before she...

There was no way to tell and only one course of action. Push forward with all her might and make it happen. She looked back at the journal, knowing the formulae should not have been written. But in writing them, they have become real. It would happen. It was only a matter of ... time.
~Lacie~
Screchethan Kabal
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers

Duality #5

Post by -Lacie- »

The Moon waned after the Eclipse which brought out the Kotoke. The battle was fierce; the Kotoke took hold of Thresway, leaving anyone who came through, no more than a fuzzy mess. Many tried to battle them, with some success. She knew her way of fighting... was in a different vein.

She ran through EverNight, her Mind Blank as strong as her Chamele. Sprint helped her get to her destination within moments. The vines along the path to Calor were littered with the vines she sought. Lack of maintenance and/or active battles along the path allowed the Cuscuta to begin wrapping their parasitic, scaly fingers around the beautiful vines that clung to the walls. The Cuscuta had grown enough to not only bloom, but produce the fruit she sought. A silk glove on one hand and she reached for the fruit delicately, but quickly. The Moon was returning to its place, and the flora was reacting to it, closing its blooms and wilting the tiny finger-like leaves. She stuffed the tiny, bead-like fruit into a medium-sized vial, and Luted the top securely.

Doubling back and renewing her Sprint, she dashed into Mineral Springs with a large bottle in each hand. She glanced at the sign, smirked and began to fill the bottles with the Spring's bounty. Grabbing a few leaves here and there and looking around for any moss, she turned and quickly headed for the Crypt.

Journal Entry XLV

Distillation chambers under construction.

Finally harvested Cuscuta! Will begin immediate drying, powdering and Distillation. Critical component for Combustion of any sort which may be needed shortly.

Goals:

1. Create a substance which will hinder, disturb, or distract the Echten. No matter what the City decides to do, this will come in handy.

2. Craft a Combustible device, a bomb, in the event one would be needed. Multiple preferred.

3. Fourth class will be dedicated to the introduction of both.

She pulled out her tools and began fashioning both a new Mortar and Pestle, and a Distillation Device.

~Lacie~
Screchethan Kabal
~Lacie~
Screchethan Kabal
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers

Duality #6

Post by -Lacie- »

She threw her pack across the Cache, scattering items all around and knocking off a few talisman from the pool's edge. Eyes filled with the raging Fire Within, and fists clenched. She shuffled things around angrily, cursing and fussing under her breath. The only thing that would... ~could~ soothe her was her journal and quill.

JOURNAL ENTRY XLVIII:

The process was successfully tried and tested. Approximately three-fourth's the way thru any given situation, goal or project... some (seen or otherwise unforeseen) obstacle, menace, threat, failure or hindrance of SOME sort always... ALWAYS presents itself. It was as consistent as the skies of EverNight. It never happened early-on, and rarely happened after the goal, etc., was reached. Those who accepted and could foresee this, fared well in the end. Those who didn't...

Those who understand this process, try to pass it on to others. Sometimes gently. Sometimes with brute and blunt force. Those who have yet to grasp the process, look to those who do... to learn.

Between this, and the imposed separations established in the City the Dreamers, Dreamers had been successfully divided in many different ways. Houses. Guilds. Focuses. Halos. This was a journey that was more than the Duality of Focus; it was the start of a path back together again. To be whole.

And now, properly divided into our niches, we find ourselves bum-fuzzled by an entity I like to call George. Most refer to it as "The Darkness". The confusion, the MisDirection, the misunderstanding, the not-even-friggin-listening! And three-fourths of the way...here we come!!!!

So George... right. George has come to take the City over. Right, B.T.D.T. He wants us not only gone, but wiped clean from the annals of history. So far, so terrible. And on it goes. This group wants this; that group will trade this for that, etc. Chest-pounding. Screaming over-top of each other.

When will we ask ourselves a few... important questions?

For instance:

1. What the HELL is so friggin valuable in this City, that every villainous, demented, tormented soul wants to come and grab onto it, at the demise of all who inhabit it peacefully... for the most part? More importantly, what are WE going to do to keep it away from .... it/they/them?

2. What is George's agenda? Does he want to plant his little George flowers all over and make the place just wreak of George-ness? Or does George intend to strip the surface layer off the City in order to get to something? What?

3. Which people, groups and entities want to help George, overtly or covertly? Why? Which oppose George and do so after making an INFORMED decision?

4. Which positions, stances, suggestions and/or ultimatums are shadowed by another, more acceptable proposal? Which of the aforementioned shadow another, more nefarious, undesirable offering?

5. Whether the Ruler of a House, or NewComer, do ~I~ have enough information to make an informed decision regarding the future of my own Dreams? Will I stand up to George? Will I stand and support George? Will I support those of like mind, or is seclusion my best chance at survival?

6. What is George really? We truly Dream best when it is the Darkest. Is George offering a good thing, or a bad? This question may upset some, but in answering, most will cement their decision on how to take back our City.

-To inquire is to invite new knowledge.
-To ask aloud is to offer this knowledge openly to others, thereby raising the level of comprehension.
-To question is to show interest and invite constructive discussion.
-To constructively discuss is to arrive at an INFORMED DECISION.
-To have an informed decision is to have conviction.
-To have conviction ... is to bring light to any shadowy Georges in our Dreams.

We all have a part to play in this; it will take all of us to give George what WE agree he needs.

The journal snaps shut, almost on its own and drops from her hand, the quill makes its way to its favorite spot in her tangled curls. She takes a scrap of paper out of her pocket. The image of a distillation device scratched on one side; she turns it over and pricks her finger with one fang, then writes, "Note: Reschedule the Serum class", and then mumbles, "They have to know what they be facin'"

~Lacie~

Srechethan Kabal
~Lacie~
Screchethan Kabal
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers

Duality

Post by -Lacie- »

She sat in near silence. Since the act of breathing was only performed while in the company of mortals, she didn't bother with even that slight action. Eyes closed as she listened to the whispers in the Crypt.

She began by retrieving another large mass of Obsidian, and a chunk of Onyx from her pack. Turning the Obsidian over, she finally found the spot to start carving out the bowl for the new Mortar.

"This one will nay leave m'hands, wretched mortals....", she mumbled as her hair fell into her face, slightly covering one eye.

The chunk of rock slowly transformed into a rough outline of a Mortar. She looked at it, spit on it, and then threw it into the Cauldron.
"Burn, sucker... ye know what I want!", she demanded as she screamed at the Cauldron. She sat down and took a tool to the side of the gemstone. It fractured perfectly and she turned it over to work on the other side.

Suddenly a large explosion burst from the Cauldron, the contents bubbling to the very edge of the Cauldron. She stood up and twirled her arms in the air, creating a swirling torrent. Standing close to the Cauldron, she exhaled a deep, cool breath into the malestrom and motioned it towards the vat. The Cauldron bubbled, churned, burped and girgled a few moments and then began to settle within the confines of the vessel.

Standing up and smoothing out her gown, she went to the wall and picked up a spoon on a very long handle. She reached into the Cauldron and searched for the Mortar. She raised it up and set it down on the negatively charged pad and set the spoon down.

She sat down, moved the hair from her face and grabbed her journal, pulling the quill from her hair....

JOURNAL ENTRY XLIX

The new Mortar seems like it may be stronger than the first. Pestle nearing completion. Need to let the Cauldron settle. Make note of temperature and monitor closely.

Distiliation device plan drawn. Need 4 crystals from Albino, some lava, and more fresh water.

NOTE: DO NOT USE Mineral Spring water!!! This may be the only fresh sample in the City and needed to clear Harrow of its scourge.

Serum class scheduled. This will be a tough class and detailed. MUST have them ready for the trip to Harrow on Friday!!!

Set up device by Tuesday in the Museum, so others understand the process. Class - Wednesday.

~Lacie~
Screchethan Kabal
~Lacie~
Screchethan Kabal
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers

Duality #7

Post by -Lacie- »

Alright, back to the equation... I MUST focus....

Ӽ ̐̐ +ϓ̐̐ = ̐̐ʑ

As usual, and I really should have predicted this, I hesitated. Damnit, I really thought another focus would clear that up. Mayhaps a third will.

The missing ingredient now found, will make completing the ... process much easier.

{[(£ ≉ mb ≞)(3/5 * ⊛)]≅[(_________)/9.382]}

She sat in the Crypt for hours, studying the equation, trying to fill in the missing pieces. "It had to be something simple that I'm missing. If'n it were something difficult I'd already have figured this thing out..." And there went the journal across the room.

NOTE TO SELF:

1. Hunt down all Elders whose quests I've finished!!!!
2. Use any and all means necessary....but,
3. Try not to shoot any Elders!!!!

She gathered up her things, pieced her journal back together and made her way for the City.

~Lacie~

Screchethan Kabal
~Lacie~
Screchethan Kabal
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers

Duality #8

Post by -Lacie- »

The Yissen were right about something. It was true that the time continuum had, in fact, changed. The way the items had been set, the realization of what the items were and where they had come from, the way the Chakrams were Combining in a frighteningly heavenly regularity! Was it 5? Six Chakrams? At this point, the number wasn't as important as it was at least 4 straight Combinations... in a row. It was coming together. It was showing its Combination in several different, but horridly similar ways. Dispelling the Darkness in the way that we did... disrupted or altered the time-line in some way.

Everything was different now.

The Duality was completing, and urging the process to its conclusion, with break-neck speed. The only positive aspect was the fact that the City was so... clear of idle thoughts, for now. It was the perfect time to.... It was so simple to wander about the City at any time, day or night. That would make the immense amount of work she had to do easier to accomplish....

"At least it was easier to get around unnoticed these days." she muttered as she returned to the equation, only to stand and think about how to rearrange the items in the Crypt, "I simply MUST make room to work ... AND the ~other~ items. Wait, I know where they can go...", as she hastily scribbles a note.

She turns the slip of note-paper and scribbles,
"I simply MUST see a man about a Top Hat!!" then tucks the paper into her sheath on her left thigh.

~Lacie~

Screchethan Kabal
~Lacie~
Screchethan Kabal
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers

Duality #9

Post by -Lacie- »

"WHEN are you going to tell them? How much longer can you put off... the inevitable, the logical course of events?"

"It can wait... a 'lil longer, methinks." She looked at the tattered condition of the journal in her hands. The binding had cracked and both covers were scratched, torn and marked up in various degrees of degradation. Pages were pulled as if a page had been torn out and destroyed. This only made the journal ... stronger. The lower corner of the back cover had already started to disintegrate into dust.

"I'll need a new journal soon." Somehow, the journal opened and the words she mutters appeared on the page. It was happening. The journal was taking a mind of... its own. If it didn't get burned to ashes soon, it would Become. And this journal didn't need to Become. It was too powerful, with all the notes and equations inside. No, it must be burned, and she had only one place to burn it... in the Cauldron which held both the Essence of Teng .... and now a shred of the Darkness.

JOURNAL ENTRY LIV

1.The Cauldron has settled, but at both a higher temperature and viscosity. Adjustments must be made in liquid content of all ingredients!

2. Finish preparing the Crypt. Nothing should be in there when the process begins.

3. Consider ingredients and ask for help in gathering them. Keep a keen eye out for liquid content (see above).

4. Work more diligently on conversion. Complete as soon as possible. Time is short!

~Lacie~
Ruler of the Protectors of the Radiance
Screchethan Kabal
~Lacie~
Screchethan Kabal
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers

Duality

Post by -Lacie- »

~fin~

This was the fulfillment of a dream. Not any normal or ordinary dream, but the fulfillment of a eon's long conquest of mate after mate, power after power, Sight after Sight. This was the last leg of this journey. The ship was in the harbor, awaiting me to take passage onto the next new... level of existence. No one had successfully made it back in one piece, try though they may. No, this was where I was meant to be.

My journey started in the Courtyard of Awakening. I walked through the halls from the Grand Staircase to the Courtyard proper. Back and forth, pacing; looking at the talismen, re-reading the descriptions and different instructions. Why didn't it make ANY sense? This was not what I was looking for. True. It was looking for me. I should have turn and run... leap from the edge back into my own quiet seclusion. I couldn't though, I had to more forward. I had to find my brother.

I begged my Mother to put us both together in the same pod, but she insisted that the supplies would only last half as long between the two of us. We argued. She slapped my face and demanded she be obeyed. I lay there in tears, knowing I was never going to see him again. I looked over as his pod was sealed up, then laid back, my teardrops turning my hair the most unusual shade of lavender as I lay there sobbing. My worse fear.

The next thing I remember would be those Grand Stairs. Broken on one side only reminded me of my loss. I stood there, wandering if I should try to jump the chasm, or turn like so many others, and leap off the deep end. I tried once more, making the jump and ascended up the stairs. What I now know as a portal mesmerized me, sending me into some sort of Hypnotic state. I later realized that the time I spent getting from that Staircase to the Threshold had been a total of 14 days; it seemed like only a few hours. Time was bending before I could enter the Threshold.

She sat in front of the Cauldron, not a movement seen from her for what seemed days on end. The Cauldron burped from time to time, like a mate whose spawn was spent. After a while, days, minutes or hours, she had totally removed the sound and movement from her Vision.

"A Seer with Darkness that brings the 'Storm.", she muttered, or may have just thought in her mind.

The first time it was whispered, she may not have even heard it. Her thoughts were off in a totally different tangent and not paying the Cauldron any attention. That... may have been why... it repeated, a bit stronger whisper, with a plume of smoke dancing around her playfully...

"Darkling child....hungry soul...playing arrogantly with things you do not understand...

Are you worthy?

Oh the wonders that I show,
Through me is knowledge thus bestowed.
Three orbs aligned with mirrored sheen,
When closed I am the key to dreams...

Darkling child...hungry soul...you who claim worthiness...what am I?

I come in pairs for all to see,
A hidden third resides in thee.
With me is light and shadow shown,
Without me darkness full of woe."

She blinked a few times and lifted her head. After looking around for another moment, she actually smelt the smoke before she saw it twirl around her, then back into the Cauldron.

"What did ye say???" She stood up mostly to make herself appear larger. Her trembling hands held in front of her to steady them. Her hands soon form into one fist, her jaw clenches and then one hand reaches for her Vanguard Blade...

Her eyelids lowered very slowly, and when they opened, they were fiery gems of Azure and Fire. Her hair lifted from her shoulders, sparks flying from the ends as her fingers curled around the Blade... Her eyes leveled upon the Cauldron, "Eyes...."

Her Vision caught something from the corner of her Eye. On the stone next to where she had been sitting was an etching, which caused her hand to tremble... more than slightly...

Ӽ ̐̐ +ϓ̐̐ = ̐̐ʑ

"So it has begun, has it? Well, I be ready for ye this time...." her eyes narrow only slightly.

~Lacie~
~Lacie~
Screchethan Kabal