Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Dark Mare strategies

Lore, history and other content by the citizens of Underlight preserved for posterity.
PuRe RaGe
Dreamer
Character Name(s): PuRe RaGe Kereal

Dark Mare strategies

Post by PuRe RaGe »

In light of the recent events in the Acropolis Rift, I've decided that something available to anyone, at any time, would be more helpful than simply whomever makes it to one of my classes. I will leave strategies for surviving battles with dark mares(DM's), followed by strategies for successful combat with them.

First and foremost -- Recall. Now that Tehthu has returned, Strike is potentially a bigger threat than ever. I know our Recall was rendered useless in the rift...but we were as close to Chaos as we've ever gotten. A deeper rift, during a chaos eclipse, in the presence of Tehthu. I suggest one keeps it active, regardless of the effects that night, and it will likely keep you safe.

Secondly, unless you are in some sort of position of power and/or are confident of making an escape, do not attempt to engage Tehthu and his generals with words. They rarely speak but to taunt, threaten, or the like. I'm not against anyone trying, if that is the path they wish to take in this city, but be extremely careful. They are not like the DM's you've coddled in the past.

While in actual combat, there are a few things to note -- Most DM's take the form of Horron or Shamblix. This renders them immune to damage from the front, leaves them with Paralyze or Paralyzing gaze, and potentially both blind and scare. Your arts will save you time and time again, but you have to have them ACTIVE. There are flags on Umbric that will help you with this. Most DM's also utilize abjure, so please remember that should you find yourself in a confrontation with a DM, setting Trail, mind blank, soul shield, and any other secondaries you may have access to(blend, reflect, poison or curse even) can draw away Abjure effects from your FA, RF, and Vision. Also, due to their immunity, they do not react like dreamers in combat. There are times where 'the best defense is a good offense' versus a dreamer -- If you hit them enough, they won't have time to use Dreamsoul. That is not true of DM's. Your best defense is a shield in one hand, an elemen in the other, and quick feet!

Speaking of quick feet, something else worthy of note -- If you find yourself in a bad situation, please, please locate true exits as quickly as possible. Running randomly through portals can lead you to dead ends and ward traps more often than it will lead you to sanctuary or threshold. Panic rarely does you any good, and while the urge to run is usually the correct response, make sure you are running in the right direction. It is also advisable to go nowhere alone, if you have the option. Numbers will save you, both due to distractions for the Mare and aid from your allies.

Stay away from walls and tight spaces, when possible. Horron chakrams are incredibly fast, and bounce! The closer you are to multiple walls, the more likely you are to be hit, despite whatever skill you may have in dodging. Worse, the timing can be affected in such a way that not only will you be hit, you could be hit twice in very quick succession, almost certainly causing your collapse. Dodge smoothly in wide open areas, where able, or quickly exit through portals if you must go into a choke point or near a wall. Adding to this line of thought, I'd also say to do your best to stay away from other dreamers who are actively engaging a DM. Chakram fire runs wild, sometimes. Your biggest threat is being hit multiple times more quickly than you can react to, and this almost always happens during friendly fire.

As for actually successfully combating a DM...

From the immunity previously mentioned, the best and only way to really fight a DM is in a team of at least two. One must draw fire while the other takes advantage of the DM's back. The best way to do this is to practice what we used to call Zoning, or Zones. Choose an area that you feel comfortable with, where you can have your back to a wall and not mis-step into a pit or some such, and draw the DM's attention. Dodge as best you can, but -remain in your area- unless you are simply overwhelmed and can no longer do so. Your partner(s) should then take advantage, as mentioned. However, in the event the DM turns around, your partner(s) should then immediately return to their areas, so as to draw the DM into another vulnerable position. Many in the city simply run around firing off chakrams, and this leads to little more than increased confusion in the fight.

Some arts work exceptionally well against Darks, should they actually work. Their reflect is powerful, but a solid abjure or chain of blasts will certainly get their attention or weaken them. If in a room with few enough dreamers, Firestorm and Razorwind are obvious boons as well. Chakrams with high, flat damages work better against DM's than they do against dreamers. With a DM, your main goal is to chip away at its dreamsoul, as they rarely restore. High variable damage for dreamers is to overwhelm them before they can heal, but with DM's it's simply an endurance test.

Separating multiple DM's with Ward is not a terrible idea, but most will simply Shatter or Blend if this happens. However, one thing you can do is use these arts to slow them down, lead them on, in an attempt to choose your battleground. Larger rooms with multiple tiers, exits and entrances, and few bottlenecks are best. This forces the DM to choose targets over a larger area, giving you more time to strike, as well as gives your art-evokers more time to evoke when possible. Most house planes work well for this, with a few exceptions. Illapse Keep is not bad against only one or two, though any more and the room feels very small very quickly.

DM's can draw strength from Essence Circles and the Chaos itself, so the rifts are exceptionally dangerous, as is any essence circle one may see. If one begins to form, you can disrupt it by cluttering it or by taking the essences, when able.

This is hardly everything one may need to know, but it should be a good place for everyone to get started, no matter your current skill level. Survival is key! Losing a battle but winning the war is ideal. Staying to win a battle and winding up dreamstruck just leaves us without a friend, loved one, or fellow warrior to continue the effort. Protect yourself at all times!

Feel free to find me with any questions, and I will elaborate in person when necessary, should I be dreaming when you read this.