Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Severing the Emotions - Third Day

Lore, history and other content by the citizens of Underlight preserved for posterity.
Ennvon
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Yauch

Severing the Emotions - Third Day

Post by Ennvon »

Yauch entered the dream on his 3rd day with an optimistic attitude. Though he had not managed to decipher the mystery of why expectation disappeared and the nature of the grey string, he understood that everything could be worked out through careful experimentation.

Furthermore, the dubious nature of the situation had stimulated his sense of interest to the maximum, and he was confident that he would be able to make the string appear.

His first task was to inspect his soul and the emotional essences, so he sat down to meditate inside threshold and turned his attention inwards.

“They are all still present!” Yauch smiled slightly as his consciousness ran over the purple, grey, and red strings.

His attention then quickly turned to his sense of interest towards the situation. He cycled the information through his head in order to cultivate this interest and manifest the interest essence.

After half an hour of deep concentration, Yauch was finally able to find the essence of interest. Like the essence of devotion, it was grey, though it was a bit darker.

“Another grey string, perfect!” the stars had aligned, and all his questions would be resolved when he severed the anger essence. If the purple string of frustration disappeared, he would confirm that there was something special about the grey strings that allowed them to continue existing separate from the primary elements.

Yauch remained in his meditative position, and his jaw clenched in preparation for the pain. He then conjured the image of a DreamBlade and sent it hacking down towards the red string.

It felt like his insides were burning with hot flames, and at the same time being bitten all over by insects. This feeling pervaded even the depths of his body, his organs and viscera.

Sweat collected in each of his pours, creating small beads which eventually accumulated enough weight to fall to the ground.

After several minutes of hacking and sawing at the string, a small puddle of sweat had formed around Yauch, and several teeth had cracked under the immense pressure of his clenching.

It took a full ten minutes, but eventually Yauch was able to severe the red string. As it dissipated, her turned his attention to the purple string of frustration.

The purple string pulsed with an energy, and its colour began to shift away from purple and into blue. It then began oscillating was if it were the string of an instrument. Each oscillation caused it to fray, until it eventually collapsed and dissipated along with the red string.

The two grey strings representing interest and devotion remained present and unperturbed throughout this process.

“My speculation was correct in regards to those strings I’ve coined as ‘secondary emotions’. It seems that grey strings are an entirely different existence.”

“I will leave them be for now. I should turn my attention to the two remaining primary emotions, happiness and sadness. Once they are gone, all that will remain are the essences associated with grey strings.”

His vow of silence was almost over at this point, but he was not worried about it. Happiness and sadness were emotions that were inherently visceral, unlike some of the more elusive secondary emotions. As such, he was sure he could experience them even if he was talking.

“It could take a few days,,, or a few years, for the last strings to show themselves. I have been extremely fortunate to have already found two so quickly. I will resume recording in this journal when I have had success.” Yauch thought to himself as he finished recording the last of his experiences.