Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Severing the Emotion - Second Day

Lore, history and other content by the citizens of Underlight preserved for posterity.
Ennvon
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Yauch

Severing the Emotion - Second Day

Post by Ennvon »

Yauch sat down to meditate almost as soon as he entered the dream on the second day of his vow of silence. His attention quickly shifted his soul and the strings representing the emotional essences he had discovered. This inspection quickly revealed that something was amiss..

The red string which constituted the anger essence was still present, but he was no longer able to detect the essence of expectation. It seemed to have disappeared entirely.

“Have I forgotten the feeling of expectation in the short time I was awake?” he thought to himself, his consciousness scanning thoroughly several times before, and a small frown took root on his lips as he was still unable to find traces of it.

He thought back to the essences he had already severed, desire and fear. Of them, one was the orange and the other was green.

“If I remember correctly, green is one of the major colours within the dreamspace, signifying water and resilience.” he pondered on the thought for several minutes before coming to a speculative conclusion, “The colours associated with the 4 foci are the major emotions, and those that seem more like combinations of the colours are secondary emotions which appear when the primary emotions mix together. Orange is a combination of red, anger, lucidity, fire, and yellow, will, earth. What emotion does yellow represent?”

“No, that question is a digression! The real question is why the yellow-green string disappeared? Could it be because it contained fear as one of its constituents?” Yauch furrowed his brow, he had not being paying attention to the expectation essence while severing fear.

“I am lucky that my sense of interest is still present, but I should manifest it as soon as possible. If I casually sever another primary emotion, I may lose it, and have to rely on another emotion to motivate my severing.”

“It is fortuitous that this discovery itself has peaked my interest… I don’t think it will take much more for the essence to reveal itself.”

Yauch was a Chaos Well down and awaiting the next sphere, so he had nothing but time. As such, he decided to wander threshold in search of something that piqued his interest.

He stumbled upon a newly awakened dream talking with his Master.

“I dream differently than the others.” the newly awakened dreamer mentioned. This comment immediately grabbed Yauch’s interest, and he sat down to listen to the conversation in hopes of discovering the interest essence.

Unfortunately, the information discussed after this comment was about subjects Yauch was already familiar with, and he was not able to manifest the essence of interest through listening.

Compounded with his failure, he found himself unable to ask properly for the Chaos Well, and therefore unable to receive one. This caused a sense of frustration to swallow his heart, and a deep purple string appeared soon after.

“Good… it contains the anger.” Yauch’s frustration vanished almost as soon as it appeared as his attention turned to this new string, and he couldn’t help but nod to himself.

Good things often come in pairs, and not long after this string appeared, Yauch received a new Chaos Well from his Master. He was once again able to hunt monsters to acquire essence.

“What drives me to gather essences for my Master’s guild? Boredom? No, I am not bored. I could contemplate on the matters of my emotions for days. Love? No, that is too extreme, and my love has already directed itself towards something unknown in my past. It is rather my dedication as a pupil, my devotion. Yes, that sounds right!”

“Perhaps if I commit myself to filling another Chaos Well, I will be able to capture the essence of devotion!”

With this idea in mind, Yauch quickly moved to his hunting ground in the Lost Caves in order to fill the Chaos Well.

It took several hours for Yauch to finish filling the Chaos Well. During this time, he ran into the newly awakened dreamer. Though it was awkward due to his inability to speak, he managed to help her acquire some items and show her his bogrom hunting route for future use.

Once he was finished, he sought out his Master in the Gloom Peaks. Sadly, due to his sphere being too low, he was unable to enter the area, and he resolved to wait in the Fallen Steps and meditate in attempt to sense the devotion essence.

His breaths were slow and rhythmic as he adjusted his mental state, then turned his attention inwards to inspect his soul. The purple string of frustration and the red string of anger were still tangible. The red string was of particular interest to Yauch, as it would confirm whether or not the strings could disappear if time resulted in the emotion growing distant.

After several hours of careful contemplation on the nature of devotion, Yauch was finally able to sense the vague outline of the string representing the essence. He was elated that his effort had paid off, but calmed his mind before cautiously inspecting this new string.

It was quite unlike the other strings, as it was much thinner, and a dull shade of grey.

“Grey should be the combination of all the colours at an intensity less than 100 percent. Yet it hasn’t disappeared despite the fact that fear/green is no longer present… very strange.” Yauch rested a hand on his chin, his eyebrows wiggling and then knitting, “Was my previous speculation incorrect?”

This thought bounced around in Yauch’s head as he wandered around for awhile, before finally deciding to wake. Perhaps a break would be the catalyst for synthesizing a new idea to guide his actions, or to understanding the mystery of the grey string.