Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

story of lost, then found

Lore, history and other content by the citizens of Underlight preserved for posterity.
Cedar
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Nmoto

story of lost, then found

Post by Cedar »

have tradition in tribe, us. when child reach ten years, them, is time for them, be assigned role now, within tribe. is great honor, this. for will now contribute to rest of tribe. learn from mentors, them. and. in time, teach others, too.

is important, this. because by keep traditions true, will help tribe, be everlasting. as has been from many generations, past. to. many generations, future.

but. not all, take assignment, this, well. some, act in fear. some, rebel. some, do not under-stand. what has been chosen, for them. not trust, in wisdom of others, them.

so. tell story like this, us, parents. to children, ours. to teach importance, of roles within tribe. is told, over six days. on week, before reach tenth year, them.

1 - runaway

one day, was child named vivene. that soon, would find out what role would take, within tribe. believed strong, that would be fisher, like father, hers.

for father, hers. brought great honor, and caught mightiest of fish from river, and from ocean too. and share best stories ever heard, her. or. maybe thought, could do same kind art, sculptures, as mothers, hers.

for mother, hers. carved sacred totems within forest, for tribe. to help protect lands, and commune with spirits, that roamed in forest. was friend of all animals in forest, her.

both parents, hers. were important, in what did, them. so only make sense, vivene also do same, thought, her. and no better mentors, than parents, hers. no better roles, than what did, them.

so. was shock, when vivene learned, would do neither of these things. instead. would be warrior, her. elders spoke true, this.

but. vivene cursed what said, them. could not be true. could be no warrior, she. so. ran from village, out into woods.

was there, when met owl, her. with tears in eyes, hers, said. "owl. cannot be warrior, me. not want be brute, not want fight and swing clubs."

so. owl said, "child. what think, you. may not be, what will be. so. go speak with others. can smell campfire nearby, maybe are some there, that can help you. whoo whoo." and then flew away.

2 - bonfire

so vivene, went and see campfire nearby. were four adults there, men and women. sing hymms, them. as share food around fire. vivene approach and say, "what do here, yous?"

eldest woman spoke, with sad joy, "are here, us. to remember old times. are brothers and sister, these, mines. parents, ours, both now gone. and so. speak of memories, good ones, ours. and. of what learned from them, us."

eldest man spoke, with concern, "are lost, you, child? out in woods, is no place for child. should go back, to family, yours. before is too late, before is too dark, here."

but. vivene protest, "not want go back. is nothing there, for me. only sad." so, eldest woman spoke, and pointed east, "then seek shelter, yous. before gets dark."

vivene looked, to where woman point, and could see few large tents, there. so. left campfire of hymms, for large tents.

3 - tactician

sneaked into tent, her. tent, filled with important people in tribe. was shamans, there. soldiers. mages. and. lore-keepers. all, were stand around table in middle of tent. table that had, maps on it.

and. all listening, to old man, in center of group. not wanted to interrupt them, she. so vivene hid and listen, and looked at old man.

had only one arm, him. and held staff, in other hand. wore patch, over one eye. and beard white with age. was talking, him. to rest of group. and all paid attention to him, and what said, him.

but. even with only one eye, him. old man spot vivene, and spoke. "child. are lost, you? is no place, for you here." and vivene spoke back, "have no place go, me. what do here, yous?"

with patience, old man say, "make plans, us. for how will protect tribe, in winter. is war come soon. if want survive, need work together, us. each here, master of what know, and do, them. what know and do, yous?"

vivene knew not. and so. spoke back, "know some things, me. but maybe not enough. know more, what others do, them." old man smiled, and said, "then is important, learn more than little, no?"

in heart, hers. vivene know old man speak true. so. left tent, and went for walk back through woods.

4 - family

as forest start get dark, vivene saw tent, of family, hers. but. when entered tent, knew quick. that this. was not real tent of family, hers. but. some one else.

here, was different family. father, mother, and several small children. looked like, was celebrating, them. but man, there, holding infant, saw vivene. and said, "child. are lost, yous?"

by now, vivene had tears in eyes, hers. for also start miss family, hers. and been gone, for some time, now. so spoke, she. "give sorries, me. am lost, and look for family, mine. why all happy, yous."

man reply, "wife, mine. come back from long hunt. been gone, some time, she. and. day, today. twins, ours. have new birth-year."

vivene look to woman, and could see. was proud, strong woman. and looked, like just come back, from woods, after long time. even had, spear, still in hand.

spoke to vivene, she. "am blessed, me. Mzizi, goddess of forest, look after me. after family, after children, after husband, mine. that. even when am gone, away in woods, away out on plains, me. am never alone."

was comfort, this. and. vivene spoke true to family, here. "think now need go home now, me. back to family, mine." and so left, she.

5 - young warriors

forest got darker. and was difficult, find way back to home, hers. but. could hear many ahead, sound of wood and stone and metal. so. thought maybe first ask them, how find way back. maybe knew, them.

so. vivene saw older kid, stand away from rest of group. all had weapons, them. made of wood. sparring, with each other. each had head shaved, theirs. as is way of tribe, for young warriors.

vivene approach older kid, and older kid ask, "are lost, you, child? are training, us." vivene could see, even though, those that spar had bruise from sparring, each was content, focused.

replied, she. "am look for family, mine. supposed to be warrior, me. but. dont know if is right for me." older kid could see conflict, that vivene had. so. set training spear down, to speak with vivene.

older kid spoke true. "if only do, what think, us, is right for us. how can ever learn trust, of others? to learn from them? maybe some thing in you, not see, yourself. that see, them. "

"warrior is not only, swing club. is true, also use bow, use staff, climb trees. but. is also, have heart, protect those, in tribe. protect family, yours. what do want to protect, you?"

vivene try speak, but could not. if say protect family, hers. how could she protect them, if run away? so. replied to older kid, "maybe are right, yous. need go, me." and ran from fighters, them.

6 - return

in darkness, vivene ran back through woods, back to home, hers. but. since was dark, stumbled on ground. but. when look up, owl was there, flutter wings, spoke, "whoo whoo. child, what have learned, you?"

vivene, no longer tears in eyes, hers, said. "need see family, mine. miss them, me. think maybe can be warrior, me. tell them, about wisdom, from others. all so different, them."

owl flapped wings, and spoke true, "child. who met, you. was who could become. could be young sparrer. could be strong, proud hunter, with great family, of own, yours.

could become, wise tactician. that all tribe, listens to. and also. will one day, be remembered, by family, your own. when die, yous. with hymms, sung in name, yours.

but. to get there, must see, that have strength inside you. and can be strong. but. have lot to learn, yous. need make first steps, when first steps are tough, to make. whoo whoo." and then flew away.

vivene knew now, was true. did have strength, her. and knew, what next would do, on next day. so. stood up, and walk back to home. to family, to tribe, hers. for were never far away, them.