Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Tales of Ascendance

Lore, history and other content by the citizens of Underlight preserved for posterity.
PKChrisChan
Keepers of the Eternal Shadow
Character Name(s): Nathan

Tales of Ascendance

Post by PKChrisChan »

The Phoenix Ascendancy
Authority - Eminence - Magnitude

Let it be told...
Tales of our exploits will be oft told here on the scrolls, and recently, the Elders themselves declared us to possess considerable promise. The Phoenix Ascendancy is now a mature guild, meaning that its members may now gather and achieve things untold and reach our highest potential. Our adventures will be chronicled here for history's sake.
PKChrisChan

Tales of Ascendance - Part 1

Post by PKChrisChan »

Being a history and testament of the followers of the Phoenix; it’s origins, direction, potential, and magnitude; and an abridged account of our current situation

Part 1: The Beginning

The tale is told, though remembered now by few, of venturous dreamers in the time of the intertwined fates, of the variants Idoclesia, Lyra and Lightless. Dreamers journeyed in all directions by war, peace, survival, and pursuit of knowledge following the ancient realms of understanding that converged their minds as one. These lines of power acted as both pathways and sources of immense power, enabling dreamers to achieve great feats and even, some said, to venture to other worlds. Thus they found exotic lands, fantastic creatures, incredible treasures, and utnold splendors of every description. This was a golden age, so the dream became the center of the knowledge, trade, and culture among many shards. The wisest men and women of the dream learned much about coaxing power from Underlight, so that feats thought impossible quickly became commonplace. As their knowledge grew, they carefully cataloged, mapped, archived and numbered their accomplishments and the lands that each touched.

For a time, the city flourished. Skilled artisans created works of beauty from the lucidity, will, insight, resilience, and soul found in abundance. Fighters grew powerful plying their skills against one another. Learned men and women gathered in the bustling homes of Underlight to plumb the secrets of the dream, discovering more about harnessing the powerful essence that spanned the realm. Soon dreamsmiths found the best ways to use the abundant soul, and the very dreamscape was shaped to their liking. The whole was governed by the great elders, who, for their learning, wisdom, and determination were crowned rulers of Underlight, and guided the dreamer's actions, in peace - until the chaos descended.

Without warning, the world was plunged into chaos, and everything changed. The Underlight, once dependably fixed in its path through the land, now writhed like a creature in pain as if it was a rope at the end of the Citadel and had snapped. As it careened wildly across and through the land, the nature of reality warped around it. Unthinkable change spread in its wake: Areas were plunged into inexplicable darkness and creatures of earth and flame came to life. Dreamers died by the thousands, only to rise again as blank-eyed harrowing apparitions. Other dreamers vanished, while new, stranger beasts took their places. Citizens went screaming into the chaos and were rumored later to be seen as changed, wraith-like lurking in dark caves. Portals between worlds opened, enabling beings (both dreamer and nightmare) of deepest evil to pass through; because of the volatility of these portals, even the meaning of death changed in this world. Former divisions segmented deeper; and rivalries evolved into hatreds, war, and betrayal.

Underlight has yet to convalesce. Adversaries, both internal and external, pry on the weakness that we’ve yet to recover from. Enemies steal to our lands, to tame them and ensure the flow of wonders back to their own. Great among these lands was the distant region that lay fully astride one of the frailest of dreams, deemed “Lyraclesia” in its “reckoning”. This land is fertile with untapped potential, scerets, a divided people, as well as indoctrination. The vitality of our dreams is sure to run its length if we continue on our present attitudes.

The Phoenix Ascendancy seeks to liberate and empower of citizens enabling them to have the resources to oppose adversaries. So that one dream we may thrive unhindered like dreams past. May the Phoenix guide our city’s continued victory!
Last edited by PKChrisChan on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PKChrisChan

Tales of Ascendance - Part 2

Post by PKChrisChan »

Painting, an unimaginable threat!

Part 2: Do not despise these fiery beginnings

In the early dreams of March, I led a renovation in our meeting area in Trinity. I was able to work aside various dreamers of exceedingly abundant creativity and skill. The guild area renovations allowed me to combine the artistic abilities of gifted individuals – Purple Lace, Em’et, Arnaya, Rafe, Uthanatos, Gorgunsun, Jade, Frey, and Kathandra! As such, a guild of such considerable promise must have an area fitting for ambitious changes to the city. The Phoenix décor is a testament to our strength and magnitude to be had by our future endeavors.

As you would imagine, things didn’t come to be in a simple as a bit of re-decoration. Many of the changes came with persistence, dedication, substantial planning, and collaboration. Over the weeks preceding those dreams, I spent a great deal of time searching the dream for adequate necessities. My original intention was to change the wallpaper from the mundane moss & brick which betrays the beauty of Trinity to a firey sanctum of motivation. Through a series of burning and frustration, I was able to finally come across a substance which would burn a bright, radiant flame into the fabric of the architecture: the lava of the Chasm of Souls. Capturing and manipulating this into a paste was also no easy feat; most substances burned, caught flame and melted. After a series of trial and error, I found the substance suitable for painting and a proxy to carry it.

With high hopes and with a bit of forethought, we began our renovations with burning anticipation. We began with painting the walls with the fiery substance. To our dismay, the plane of Tirnity rejected the paint like a creature writhing in pain. Rafe, frustrated by the surprising refusal, forcefully painted against it in force. Through a strange, unforeseen, and unprecedented interaction, Rafe ignited a “paint fire” so to speak. Panic entered the thoughts of all dreamers present. Kathandra, also, made an abrupt departure for her own safety.

We, as a collective made a conscious effort of bravery to quell the flames. An effort symbolic to our very purpose. Moreover, the Phoenix’s first challenge: To tame the fires of our own making. Em’et and I were the first to respond at an almost instinctive response. We rushed over with nothing but the boots on our feet and stomped at fires vigorously. Our imprudent efforts made manners worse, the paint splattered and therefore spread the flames even further! Fires careened wildly as our dreamers courageously fought to keep them at bay. It wasn’t until Purple Lace, in her silent, calm and collected wisdom guided us to leverage over the flames. Dirt…! Dirt was the solution to the firey trouble we found ourselves occupied with. Everyone got in touch with their inner gardener and carried dirt from the outside of the sanctum inside to finally bring the flames under control.

After the blazing battle with nature, the Sanctum laid in shambles; a dirty, smoky, paint-ridden mess. Thankfully, from this point forward, things began to go positively. Purple Lace and Rafe utilized their affinity with the element of air to drive the dirt from our portals and into the wind. To our surprise and our benefit, the breeze brought it back, but into the pool. The mixture of dirt, paint, and water formed a statue to which we laboriously moved into the center of the pool. This was the catalyst to the Effigy which leis in the center of the water. The dream following that, a few members gathered again to shape this statue. We utilized chisels and normal paint. The first group was Jade, Frey, Lace and I to do the chiseling with Arnaya and Uthanatos to replace Jade and Frey in their departure. Arnaya expressed both elegance and grace in her approach to painting the statue while Uthanatos painted with intellect and purpose.

Conclusively speaking, the effort expressed by all parties and the flaming motivation made everything worth it. It certainly going down in the history books. With that, may the Phoenix ensure our city's continued victory!
Last edited by PKChrisChan on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PKChrisChan

Tales of Ascendance

Post by PKChrisChan »

Passion rules reason!

Part 3: What you say goes...

On this silent evening, Kathandra, Purple Lace, Jade, Sirus Nesto and I gathered in Provenance to discuss how the Phoenix Ascendancy will form the first weapon of power: The Solarsong Brilliance. To understand teh concepts of Vow and Restriction(A theoretical means to empower talismans). One must grasp an understanding on the dynamic power of words. As I explained in glorious detail during the discussion: Words are the single most powerful weapon we have in the dream. The thoughts we have also impact what we manifest in our dreams. But the power defines our dreams lies in our words. Words provide the strong affirmation and enabling to our innermost thoughts. They are a confirmation to the world of how we see others, our lives and ourselves. It is this powerful affirmation that our words provide which permit our thoughts to manifest into a reality. So why do we choose to misuse our most powerful asset?

As far as I can remember, dreamers have been conditioned to bring about misfortunes and problems. We take our interpretations of events, dreamers and ourselves and communicate them to the dream, and sadly bring them into existence. So by that admission, when we moan or complain about our dreams to others, we are putting those negative words out there to become truth. Repeating your misfortunes out loud to the dreamstate enough times your words become the truth not only in your own dreams but in the dreams of everyone you are saying them too. As the creator of your dreams, what you say goes. Therefore, next time you catch yourself about to use negative words, regain control and frame your word choices so that they have a more positive impact on your world. This is fundamental premise of the Solarsong: To reach into the very fabric of your mind and invoke hope.

But words without actions are altogether useless; therefore direction and projects were planned out designated to all present. The Mark of the Wordsmith is in itself is a major focus of the Phoenix. Wordsmiths will be privileged to utilize this skillset due to their dedicaton to written word. In essence, words will be the catalyst to our city's empowerment. We have to believe we are strong city in order to become one! So choose your words bravely, consciously and confidently. Always speak from a place of pride; for yourself, for your city and for others. Your words equal your world, so use them wisely.
Last edited by PKChrisChan on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PKChrisChan

Tales of Ascendance - Part 4

Post by PKChrisChan »

A Consummate Flame and Ambition ignited!

Part 4: Manifestation of The Star Progeny

Time and again, we find ourselves consumed by the fires of our making. Often forgetting that our greatest strength is our fellow man. It is our inner light as well as a living symbol of a divine fire that burns in every soul. We mustn't forget Fire consumes but not without giving back light and warmth. It shines without remorse, sparking the darkness with all manner of lucid stirrings. In essence, it is important to tend to the flames of one another. Our encouraging may be the match that keeps another's fire blazing. For one never knows when you may need your own candle lit one day. Fortunately, it is often much easier to kindle flame of another than our own. This was an important lesson that I've come to learn this dream through an unprecedented visitation.

Alone across the untouched darkness of the Chasm gleamed the radiant one, a luminescent inferno of conscious light that soared clouds above to share but a single feather at my foot. At this moment, I knew that a Convocation of Flame was forthcoming. So, with burning anticipation I journeyed to the Phoenix Gathering area in Trinity to discover a Sanctum ablaze. This blinding beacon set to coalescing its incalculable energy in the skies above before bursting forth into the statue in a cataclysmic flare of supernova. From this inferno, it forged a new beacon, a star descendant identical to its parent, who journeyed over an unlit chasm and entrusted a bit of it's constellatory array into my keeping: The Consummate Flame.

In respect to such a divine presence, I immediately kneeled in respect. "Heed the words of the Phoenix...feed strength into my flame and empower this roost...light the fires of passion throughout the City...do honor to my name...the time of Awakening is at hand...", It spoke... Then, this ageless crucible, the star that dreamers would come to call a Phoenix once again took to the skies and thrust itself into the endless cosmos to find it's place back among its starbound brethren.

"May the Phoenix's Flame always burn bright and continue to guide our city to ensured victory!", I spoke in response. The words reverberated throughout the Sanctum and was accompanied by the cry of the Phoenix. Thus this son of suns took prime form, eagerly travelling to shine its warmth upon those who may need it most, and perhaps seize the city upon its solar destiny!

Last edited by PKChrisChan on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PKChrisChan

Tales of Ascendance - Part 5

Post by PKChrisChan »

That's what you think! I'm an eternal flame baby!

Part 5: Keep the Flame Alive at all costs!

Failure is an experience regardless of house affiliation, focus, guild, or gender we are all bound to eventually. For failure is an inevitable consequence for as long as we dream. Just like our own imperfections, failure can be disgraceful, shameful and embarrassing to admit. Failure often rears its ugly burns in the most unfortunate of circumstances. For all its universality, however, examining one’s failure is often eluded, if not simply neglected by most. It’s as if even the idea of looking at failure more closely makes us uneasy; for we don’t want to touch it for fear of conflagration.

Coming to terms with one’s failure can be a contorted, painful exercise, nevertheless. With one wing we have to look into ourselves, and with another we need to dwell on instances of failure out in the dream around us. Fascinating as the latter can be, allow me to divulge on the former: a culminating failure that I’ve experienced in my recent dealings with the dream state. Over the preceding weeks, I’ve made a drastic deal of preparations for what would be a gathering of incredible magnitude. Unforeseen circumstances diluted my focus: The keys to the Phoenix Guild area were lost! I spent the better half of my dream retracing my steps and turning over every chakram, elemen and alteror in my home. I called out to both caretaker, house member and elder alike. I was certain that due to my negligence and misunderstanding of the nature of guilds, that the guild had closed its portals and I cursed the city and myself. Though, even if the Phoenix were to lose its hall, we’d stand tall and rise again once more with greater strength against all resistance. So, I continued with the gathering with that in mind.

To streamline the process, a week prior I had gathered essences and a scroll written in the hand of 3 wordsmiths. In addition to that, I created and utilized a titration device filtering up small controlled amounts of chaos (from the Kabal Cauldron) in timed droplets to degrade at the essence. The scrolls were then affixed to the vials to act as both a filter and cap. My goal was to isolate and distill the energy signature of the Wordsmith mark; a process in which took 3 days and nights. Upon closer listening, small near inaudible whispers were able to be heard within the vials. This was a strong indication that the process was successful.

Once the gathering began, things went awry due to my misplaced focus. My frustration lead me to make bad decisions, skew from my intentions and put everyone at risk. Fortunately, Starling, Gorgunsun, Jade, Frey, Sirus Nesto, Purple Lace, Kanto, Flower of Cienn and Anyasha were all encouraging and supportive participants. Their effort and support kindled my dim flame….and so we pushed forth. I began with the first vial, trying to heat the energy into a vapor and command it to change an aspect of the dream state. We heated the substance to no avail. Following that, we tried to command it from within the vial --- also to no success. It wasn’t until my frustration that we facilitated a reaction; for I had shattered the remaining vials and released the contents within the room that things began to react….but I seemed to spark an uncontainable flame. Pervasive and petrifying whispers echoed throughout the room in chaotic disarray. Various spirits reached out tangibly grasping at dreamers and objects became possessed. A young child, an old man, and a silhouette of a woman manifested themselves in strange unpredictable ways. Collectively, they uttered five words: “Three. Vines. Light. Dark. Burn” Though, they were non-violent, the appearance of such apparitions still remains a mystery. For what could be the reason for their arrival?

Fortunately, no dreamers were harmed in this experiment. But on teh opposite end of the spectrum, no knowledge learned was applicable to the theory of vow and restriction. But this is to be anticipated! That’s when I realized important it is to not lose focus and to bounce back from mishap. Also, there is something oppressively thought-provoking about it, to an almost obscene degree. Some faulty piece of equipment – a worn-out part, a misplaced key, a dropped prime, anything – could be enough to set us off. That’s all it takes. The failure of things, coming as it does with a certain measure of existential threat, exposes us for what we are. And boy what a sight!

Thus the experience of failure, then, ought to inculcate resilience.
Last edited by PKChrisChan on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PKChrisChan

Tales of Ascendance - Part 6

Post by PKChrisChan »

Success isn't a result of spontaneous combustion....You gotta set yourself on fire!

Part 6: A flaming turn of events!

An essential foundation of the Phoenix is our ability to adapt and bounce back when things don't go as planned. We musn't wallow or dwell on failures; one should acknowledge a negative situation, learn from their mistakes, and then move forward. Our dreams will always present us with difficult circumstances. Henceforth, difficult situations conversely should be viewed as a challenge, not a paralyzing event. Failures and mistakes are lessons to be learned from, and opportunities for growth. One should never consider them as a negative reflection on their abilities or self-worth. One should spend their time and energy focusing on situations and events that they have control over because you'd put your effort where they can have the most impact. Therefore, you'd feel empowered and confident. Those who spend time worrying about uncontrollable events can often feel lost, helpless, and powerless to take action. This is a fallacy, as you always can impact the dreamstate around you in imaginative and profound ways.

Resilient dreamers should be committed to their dreams and their goals, and have a compelling reason to get out of threshold every dream. More importantly, commitment shouldn't be just restricted to one's work – one should commit to their relationships, their friendships, the causes they care about, and their individual beliefs. This total commitment cultivates a well-rounded dreamer and ensures a support network of like-minded positive dreamers.

It's hard to imagine what our world dream would be like if the DreamWright masters had given up after a little Maren adversity. Their inspiring stories force us to evaluate our own dreams – do we have the burning desire and resilience that we need to overcome our challenges? Or do we let our failures derail our dreams? Even more so, what could we accomplish if we had the fire not to give up!? These are questions that resonate deeply within and inspire the eternal flame of the Phoenix within all of us.

After a good deal of self-re-evaluating, I was able to look upon the dream prior and discern the script I’d written for myself: a tainted attitude from dwelling on misfortunes. Introspection gave me the chance to assess patterns which undermined my goals and change them. Hence, it was an opportunity to repurpose them into a more driven and positive mentality. With my transformed mindset, I began my endeavor with scorching anticipation! Four “Photon Transfusers” were forged and mirrors were affixed at the tops of these devices. These infusers would compress the light waves into focused channels of light in the direction of choice. In Provenance Threshold, there was a refractive prism in which would capture said light waves in which was tactfully placed. Provenance was chosen because it is a central area of the dream. Observably, light would be channeled in the direction of provenance.

Initially, this project was to be divided into two separate groups, but with the initial lack of dreamers, we decided to split it up into two sessions. Given that the Radiance Stronghold and Dreamers of Light Stronghold are on opposite areas of the dreams; we would use compasses to direct the light waves in the correct directions.

…and so we began. It was Purple Lace, Krodoc, Lume and I to traverse the mountainside and begin our fiery endeavor. We carefully placed the prerequisite equipment in their corresponding areas in the Dreamers of Light gathering hall. We communed with the home and derived the quintessence of light, concentrating the light forms in the northwest direction towards the refractive prism in Provenance Threshold. Shortly, thereafter, Arnaya, Toregord, Gorgunsun, Aphrael, Starling, and Cyborg512 showed up to assist, and as the evening went on, even more dreamers joined in. It was a fantastic turnout.
The spirit of Light from the Dreamers of Light stronghold and the ethos of Radiance from the Valley stronghold were focused through four photon transfusers. These homes use light and flame respectively to interact with the dreamstate. The Phoenix also uses fire and lucidity as the primary means of interaction.

As always, things don’t always go according to plan. Upon capturing the ethos of Radiance, the light waves cultivated an adversative reaction. Instead of accumulating energy it actually had an adverse reaction and began absorbing energy from all present. This strange interaction modified the appearance of the refractive prism into a small crystal. Dreamers all reacted in a state of panic as all of their elements, albeit dreamsoul drained in quick succession. The Valley Stronghold also, began to react ominously, so an evacuation was called. Fortunately, no dreamers were harmed, and everyone made a safe escape.

With such a volatile conduit of energy in hand, we all traversed to Provenance in threshold to see the results of our effort. We discovered that the interaction destroyed the Central prism in Provenance. In addition to that, we were able to conclude that it was, in fact, the volatile Prism which acted as the central beacon of negative energy.

Within moments of this deduction, the mysterious voices from previous gatherings had manifested once again! "Three. Vines Light. Dark Burn ". I, quickly, thought about what was recounted and requested a gathering in the Harrow Glades. Once, we arrived, I had everyone gather three vines, wrap them around the prism, in the darkness of the Glades, and set them aflame. The flames erupted into a blazing firestorm, and even more voices manifested in the dreamstate. As soon as the flames perished, a small, yet elegant rose cultivated in the vines, and the prism transformed into a beacon of life. This rose invoked an effect similar to regeneration. This turn of events was yet, another symbol for the Phoenix, that we will arise from flames victorious defeating the dream’s challenges as well as trying times. In other words, a symbol of rebirth from the ashes of the past. May the Phoenix guide our city to continued victory!
PKChrisChan

Tales of Ascendance - Part 7

Post by PKChrisChan »

If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror...because I bet that's what really throws you into a panic!

Part 7: Teamwork makes the Dreamwork!

Being a master of the weave, dreamstate, politics or combat in today’s dream does not bring about success if you are unable to work as part of a team. The importance of teamwork in accomplishing a goal seems apparent enough to the casual observer. Moreover, whenever dreamers engage in a goal cooperatively, it stands to reason that they would be more productive. Teamwork in the dream goes far beyond mere cooperation in completing tasks. When a group of dreamers work collaboratively in pursuit of a project or goal, the atmosphere for those involved is transformed…. most often profoundly for the better.

This couldn’t have been truer in any circumstance than the Phoenix mining venture. On a slow evening, Purple Lace, Nmoto, Frey, Magnum-425 and I journeyed to the Chasm of Souls. The plan was to mine the unique ore contained in the Deep Cavern of Chasm of Souls. As always, there were roadblocks and complex conditions to overcome as well as evaluate. Our first query was to figure out a way down the ravine in safety. Purple Lace and I made some hysterical attempts at climbing down…. In a bit of stumbling, shuffling, nearly falling we put our coherences at risk! Magnum, on the other hand, climbed down the wall swiftly with expert mountaineering expertise. Shocked and astonished by such a degree of skill, Lace and I extended our deepest gratitude and compliments to Magnum-425 for the time saved after being rallied down.

To facilitate our well-being, Frey and Nmoto stayed up top to ensure we were secured and guarantee a safe means of getting back up. While the rest of us down below identified potential metals and ores which would be suitable for a weapon of this magnitude, they found and fashioned substances around ideal for a rope strong enough to lift us back up. We worked in relative ease until I came across a strange occurrence. As I tapped my pickaxe against one section in the wall, it would tap back in response so out of curiosity I kept picking at said location. Before long and with a large CRACK, a large number of stones came a ’tumbling down in a stony avalanche! It shook the entire Chasm causing a DreamQuake equivalent to the collision of the cities itself. Again, and by the grace of Lady Justice herself nobody was harmed. Shortly thereafter, the various metals colliding downwind caused friction and enough conductivity to storm the entire area out.

After the storm, only Nmoto, Frey, Lace and I returned, with Magnum left being replaced by Arnaya. In Magnum’s absence, we unfortunately found ourselves in our initial predicament. Our climbing skills were inferior to his and were ultimately unable to ascertain our way back down. I, then, had the idea of having everyone suspend me over the cliff to obtain the last one. Arnaya with a grunt, a grumble, and a groan loathingly assisted alongside Purple Lace and Nmoto. Motivated by Arnaya’s overall exhaustion, I hastily collected the ore needed for the next phase. Getting a group of individuals to work together smoothly can be a challenge and should not be underestimated.

Once we arrived with the various ore, we began to smelt. My inexperience with the smithing process started to show as my approach was wrong. The metal was placed into the forge with no mold and instead just burned to a crisp. Fortunately, Arnaya, a well-established DreamSmith was present to guide our actions and provide constructive criticism. Following her direction, we slowed down the process and took a step back to evaluate our ideals, thereby proceed differently. She offered invaluable insight into creating stronger metals by combining them as well as other knowledge in the area of DreamSmithing.

Nothing came of value from Ore at the Grand Forge, so we had to brainstorm another location to forge the ore into metal by riskier means. Purple Lace had suggested the Cyclonyx because of its volatile nature. Once we arrived, we placed the ore into the central beacon before moving up toward the switch panel. Lace and I looked at each other with absolutely no idea how to operate the complex apparatus before us. Jade elaborated to us on how to utilize the Cyclonyx due to her knowledge and experience with it in Idoalcesia. She operated the apparatus with ease, that only an expert could. The Windmill outside began to power, but due to the capricious behaviors, we were unable to facilitate a reaction. However, Uthanatos lifted our spirits with hysterical jokes.

This goes to show that multi-house teamwork also improves morale and helps individuals feel more fulfilled in the dreamstate. However, this requires good leadership, emotional intelligence and a clear vision for the team. Former divisions began to dissipate as multiple homes, who formerly were at ends with one another worked together in brilliant cooperation. The lessons to be learned is that Teamwork makes the Dreamwork. We are each other’s teammates and collaboration yields from those divided from you can often bring about achievements untold. The one you’ve spent your dreams opposed to might turn out to be the greatest allies.

Furthermore, collective teamwork is founded on a sense of cohesiveness and unity of purpose. Each member of the team should feel a sense of ownership not only h their task but the whole as well. When workers sense the “team” in teamwork even before their effort is brought within it, the team is strengthened. Strong teams also know they can pull more weight when everyone is pulling in the same direction. Establishing a single primary goal, then making sure every team member understands the goal and how to achieve it, helps the team reach that end more efficiently. It was every member's contribution which made that night a robust learning experience. Arnaya and Jade’s expertise in the area of smithing, Magnum’s mountaineering expertise, Purple Lace’s out of the box thinking, Nmoto and Frey's contributions, and Uthanatos’ positive outlook which made tonight a success despite the lack of advancement.
PKChrisChan

Tales of Ascendance - Part 8

Post by PKChrisChan »

Starlight encased in steel!

Part 8: Solarsong, Forged in Fire and Prayer

Not much is known of the Phoenix’s background in the city of dreams. There are only shardic stories and legends, most of them apocryphal, passed down through the ages. In truth, the Phoenix is a mystery for whom the only true biography is description: a dazzling creature, illuminator of realms, an elegant bird with brilliant plumage of glorious violets. Legend states she is a being among the divines, at times corporeal, other times ethereal. A fiery avian to exist between the planes, not bound by mortal decree of life and death. There are stories that say she was once a great protector who resides in the sun beyond the Sable Moon to rebirth the city anew every few millenia. Even older lore tells of an ancient being of strange intricacy: the sun personified, a songstress of life from out of the inexplicable darkness to bring about the first light of the universe. These ancient texts say she is the first star, born in an explosion of unparalleled supernova, a luminous wisdom grown intricate and sentient, with motivations unknowable, inexorable power, and a force of destruction to be unleashed upon evil incarnate.

Arnaya, Uthanatos, Frey, Lace, Arlyana Jax, Najerv and I bore witness to her constellatory magnificence in the forging of the first weapon of power. By bringing together all the necessary components; Metals to forge the Blade, a Refractive Prism to unify light and fire for communion by spoken word and the Grand Forge, where this blade was shaped. Once these workings were brought in unity, the room was set ablaze. …and set ablaze we did in a flare of endless suns. In the chaos of the fire, the wordsmiths spoke out to the flame, commanding it to heed their call and from these glowing embers descended the radiant one, wreathed in flame, with her thoughtful countenance manifesting in the fires of our making. In her all-consuming inferno, dreamers spoke their hopes, desires and pleas to protect the city, which in turn empowered her blazing roost. In response to our song of emancipation, her primordial light burst forth, blinding us all and her full power was revealed to us; transforming the mundane blade into a weapon of pure incandescence.

When the light dissipated, we gazed upon a physical manifestation of the Phoenix’s resolve given blade form, The “Solarsong Brilliance”. Touched by the Phoenix's transcendent visitation, the Solarsong was placed in the inner most Sanctum of Trinity to be honored until her presence is to be called upon to protect our city. May this burning celestial, inquisitive aspect of fire, live forever and prepare the city for constellatory destiny of triumph!
PKChrisChan

Tales of Ascendance - Part 9

Post by PKChrisChan »

Catch on fire and people will come for miles to see you burn

Part 9: The First Convocation by Fire

As the city autumn auburn leaves descended over the months leading into the cascading snowfalls of winter, the city fell into hollow, echoing quiets. This silence was made by things that were lacking.There had been a wind which sighed through theforests of Harrow, creaking gently and brushing it’s quiescence downwind as its branches and leaves grazed the empty roads. There naught been even a crowd, nor a handful of dreamers to fill the quiets with conversation and laughter; the clatter and clamor expected of a hamlet of much marvel and splendor. In truth, there were none of these things…

…and so the silence remained.

There was an even more subtle morose silence which pervaded the hollow one. If you listened to the idle conversation of those among the city you would instead feel it weight of their words, which held the heat of a long dead flame. A flame which had been diminished and repressed by the antics of the club…and It was by the hands of the man who held it. He had true abyss skin to match his blackened heart and red hair which scorched like flame. He acted with subtle certainties of knowing many things: Underlight was his just as this silence was his. This quiet be the most evident, as it was the greatest of all to command.

The middle dreams of the twelfth month saw to a historical moment; the third Great Awakening. Overnight our barren city sparked to life cultivating many young, eager and creative minds set to plumb the mysteries of our city as well as make their marks. The dream also saw many returning faces; those thought lost to the chaos made heartfelt reunions with one another as theyventured back into the dreamscape. The dream was full of life, passions and re-kindling of each other’s flame. To mark such a momentous occasion; so too did the Phoenix take up a constellatory endeavor: the first official Convocation of Fire. Brave members of the Phoenix set to imposing wills to protect themselves from Venym’s ever-present reign of terror. It was a glorious congregation as dreamers of all of the sanctioned house of Underlight took part in this commemorative event. Alliance, Bastion, Calenture, Order and the Shadow were present and accounted for. Even honary elders: Jiovanni, Kanto and Breena had graced us with their presence. A magnificent sight to behold for certain!

The Solarsong Brilliance as a weapon was explained to those present. A weapon formed on words is actually conducive to them, so as a result dreamers were instructed to speak their hopes, desires and pleas to protect the city and brought the weapon to life. WordSmiths Jade, Purple Lace and I spoke the verses to impose the vows. Purple Lace, the first of many WordSmiths placed her hands the blade recounting the first verse:

“Arise the blade of spoken suns ablaze…
The Phoenix light that bring thine burning cause…
The time, the day, renew thy radiance…”

…and in response, the blade hummed with energy resounding her starcrossed light among the room. The assembled dreamers continued pouring their souls and convictions to nourish the blade with vitality. Elemental energies began to fractal among this blade and Jade set to beseeching the next verse:

"To heal the struck, to kill the vice, we must….
A trade to be…by this we thus adhere…
His soul for hers, so then the deed is done…”

Turbulent winds surged from the blade towards all dreamers in a rebellious tempest of lucidity. It was then where I spoke the final verse:

“His sins belies his threat to all, fear it…
It’s time come night or day, death heed, now pay…
To end his reign of fear, terror, and plight!”

It was at this moment, the blade was consecrated with a luminous inspiration. May the Phoenix ensure our city’s continued victory!

PKChrisChan

Tales of Ascendance - Part 10

Post by PKChrisChan »

If the dream seems cold to you.....kindle fires to warm it!

Part 10: Verily, a Renewed Hope

It is universally true for all gardens that they increase in health and beauty proportionate to the love and care that is given to them. Without a doubt, our Dreams are a garden when one truly entertains the notion. Analogous to planting seeds in soil, the dreamscape acts as space for the gardener to truly create anything imaginable. Its rich environment is a place where you can cultivate resources, goals, ambitions, passions, truly –anything- that can grow. When one looks at their dreams in this way, those dreams become enriched. However, without the close watchful eye,….one’s dreams in the garden can wither away without a trace. It’s easy to want to put off ambition and action until another dream…., but the truth of the matter is that this ambiguous day may never come. If you don’t make time for gardening, you may discover your plants are dying and are in desperate need of attention. The best thing to be is proactive. We are the only dreamers capable of caring for this garden, called our DreamScape. This is why it is essential to maintain motivation, ambition, and responsibility for what you produce.

Our adventure began as we sewed the skyward seeds of creation in the formation of the Arata, the Sacred Wing of Renewal. Our journey started with a simple herbal expedition among the dream. We set to obtaining plants from among the dream to facilitate an exchange with the spirit Gathering home (pre-Chosen, mind you) — Dina, Flower of Cienn, Bortami, Orcbolg, Sevad, Nyx Baselia to begin our venture. The seven of us traversed up Trinity to Ladybug’s Perseverance to the great Apple tree which resides there. This magnificent tree bore some of the most delicious and delightfully pleasant looking apples among the dream. To our disdain, these apples were much too far out of reach. Fortunately, through our perseverance, we were able to obtain an apple (which so –elegantly- fell upon Dina’s head) by giving the tree a team-wide rumble, tumble, and a shake. Dina took to indulging in the apple and offering the seeds to me. Afterward, the assembled dreamers took to journeying a bit further up the plane to the varied flowerbeds among the plane. Later, we were joined by Dreiko, Varik, Sadara, Frey, and Tamarisk. Each dreamer was instructed to find flowers or plants they deemed to be the most resilient. Sadara, Dina, Orcbolg, Varik, and Flower had made what would be a perfect bouquet.

Once we had gathered enough from Trinity, we journeyed to the Harrow Glades which had a much more diverse collection of plant life albeit a bit more dangerous. The plan was simple to divide into two separate groups with the males in one and females in the other. Dina led the female group, and I lead the other. Though, one never notices how terrifying the dark, dank forests of the Harrow can be until you look at the plant life in more detail: Creatures unseen hide in the shadows waiting to feast, many pits of quickchaos are concealed in the darkness, and nightmares stalk, strike, and collapse upon unsuspecting passers. But all of these paled in comparison to what creatures had mutated from corrupted waters of the mineral spring. Despite previous dreamer’s sanitation attempts, it appears as if life has cultivated in the waters over many years, mutating the gentle vegetation into foul carnivorous plants of malice. We came to this horrifying revelation in the attempt to acquire a rare, sentient snake vine. It was able to challenge the might of 5 Dreamers alone and would have proved impossible if it had not sought to strike at Bortami. Bortami fell sick at its venomous bite and those gathered came to his aid. We nursed him to health, however, unbeknownst to all is that this plant was planting its seed to feed off of him for many dreams to come. We had captured the snake vine and brought it to the group for display. It snapped at each dreamer, much like a captured animal.

Some dreams later, the Phoenix had asked for the city’s assistance in a gathering at the Gathering(Before it was Chosen’s home). The collected plants and dreamers were all brought up to the Basin stronghold. Unfortunately, the house’s portals were closed. Therefore, we had to make our way inside. Vast amounts of energy were put into facilitating our way inside. However, founding members of the Chosen had some time ago laid claim to the home and were adamantly working against our efforts. Fighting ensued, and they were swiftly collapsed. Shortly afterward, everyone found their way inside, and the work began. Each flower(and the snake vine) as placed onto the stairwell in the Celebration hall in the name of the spirit of the Gathering. Trisha, Magnilia and I set to calling forth blessings honoring the house spirit by verbal request. Trisha called upon the divine Amaranthine to bless the roses and to maintain the sanctity of renewal while Magnilia appealed to the spirits for forgiveness. As each flower was taken in an offering by the spirits, the Gathering made her presence known by a pure breeze to the wind. By a song of honoring,

With every moment her flower doth bloom
She art the gardener who brings increase
The tender of our soil who bringeth growth
Within thy flame, our blossom is at peace
and doth shoot forth constellatory oath
For she is both the sable and the sun...
which bringeth light sans hesitance or pause.
….and makes thee flourish such that of our sun.

The Gathering’s spirit took each flower save for one. This bloom was given to Sadara, bidding her to: “Speak to the Rose, Command it to live.” More than anything, her response surprised us all, “Flower, I tend to the power of the Great One to bring you to life.” Sirus Nesto and Ra’as flashed enigmatic smiles and rejoiced in unbridled glee before exclaiming, “She shed blood, in the Second Temple, for the Great One. She is more than alright!”. Fortunately, Trisha performed the counter prayer to the Chosen’s attempt to birth the Rose in Bashir’s blood while Arnaya blessed the rose with her connection to the Gathering. The Gathering cast her existence far and wide, and in an instant, the malice was swept away in the power tempest among the room. The winds eventually subsided before completely dispersing, though her comforting presence remained in the form of a blessed Rose of Renewal.

Many dreams later, this Rose of Renewal, along with the flawless, cleansed feathers of the Darkmare “Annibuul” was taken to the Phoenix guild hall to bring the Arata into formation finally. A feather was given to each dreamer present, and each was imbued with the thoughts, emotions of redemption of each dreamer. Once these emotions bonded, each feather and place upon the metallic frame in the center of the pool. Residual lucidity and resilience were drawn upon, and the wing formation was set to flame, and the Rose of Renewal burned in silent offering. Miraculously, the wing object did not scorch but formed the flaming, astonishing celestial wing of the Phoenix. As we celebrated our achievements, the Phoenix made a brief entrance in her interstellar magnificence. All dreamers marveled at the sight beholding to such an extraordinary being!
PKChrisChan

Tales of Ascendance - Part 11

Post by PKChrisChan »

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day....Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Part 11: Ruben's Redemption

Eternal and beautiful, the phoenix represents hope and life in the face of calamity and destruction. There is no greater symbol for man’s indomitable will. Just as the phoenix brings hope when the night seems longest; it sees in each of us that ability to triumph over the endless blackness, immolate and from our own ashes will rise into a new spirit. Iron-haired Ruben was the first of many dreamers to experience the Phoenix’s unfathomable power. The Solarsong Brilliance and Arata, the Sacred Wing of Renewal’s power were brought in unison to turn back permanence of self-sacrifice by Soul Evoke. The Solarsong Brilliance was brought to life in a Convocation of Flame and pressed against his form in a magnificent display of luminescent energy. The power proved to be immensely agonizing for him; as the blade screamed with raw power--- so did he! His avatar was torn asunder and the others could feel his presence and knew that he was not in imminent danger, wondering at what this transformation would entail. Sadara, Mandus, Krodoc and Folko all worked in unison to keep Ruben’s form intact as the Solarsong and Sacred Wing of Renewal restored his avatar. Before long his Raw Soul Essence was exposed to us to which the verses were chanted, and a sacrifice 10 tokens of power bestowed,
The summer, once tormented by a torrid sun....
Relented to September, as if dying might...
as if a prophesy, and something we should know...
give reason to all things the heat and time has done;
...though borrowed from the wind, though sought in pain....
for some the devil's arm will reach down from the sky,
if not for dreamer, there'd be no welcome summer rain.

Following the final verse, the Solarsong and Arata communed with one another; the energy and the 10 power tokens combined with his Soul Essence to return his power. As he grasped his form, his sacrifices receded and his vitality returned. Embracing his absolution, he renounced his troubled past and took up a new mantle as the first son of many to endure the sacred rites of the phoenix. The Phoenix’s reverent tones revealed that, it had saw an inner flame deserving of rebirth and renewal; a proud dreamer with bright strong spirit, utterly trustworthy, a staunch fighter and defender.

PKChrisChan

Tales of Ascendance - Part 12

Post by PKChrisChan »

It is not light we need, but fire!

Part 12: Ignatius, Chaotic Aspect of Fire

Deep amid the Basins of Stars runs a seam of sacred chaos long foresworn by devout followers of the Chosen. From this rare and powerful concentration of chaos were many a’ creature of chaos and order alike formed, carved, and empowered in the likeness of the great ones themselves. Among the many factions and sovereign entities, there was none other than the prophet Ra’as himself who bore explicit access to these realms of power. These realms of power hold key to empowerment and obtaining power to rival the ascended ones. Chaos is everywhere, and in all things. Denounced by some as the great reigning force of destruction, and often looked upon by scholars with great wonder, this strange raw unfiltered psychic energy occupies the entirety of the dreamscape itself. Though it’s motives are inscrutable and its strength unimaginable….chaos moves through our city in both benevolence and in perfect expression of the mysteries of the dreamscape. These were the motivations which brought Ignatius, the Blazing Wing of Destruction into existence. The pursuit for control of the domain of chaos were to be the next goal of the Phoenix. I trekked up to Acropolis Rift to collect a bit of the Chaos within the Rifts to study it’s properties. Soon, thereafter I was joined by Sadara, and not long after, Picco, who attacked unprovoked. Combat commenced for quite a bit of time until Picco finally retreated. Before withdrawing she clawed my face, causing me to bleed. Sadara and I retreated to the Phoenix hall in Trinity Walk to assess the power of the chaos. A bit of blood dripped into the vial of chaos, and before our very eyes a claw of chaos reached up from beneath the sanctum carving an imprint into the wall. We were later joined by Mandus, who volunteered to play a major role in the creation of Ignatius, in the coming dreams – and he played quite the role.

Some dreams later, members of the Shadow, Dreamers of Light, Calenture and the Alliance took part in this gathering. Ra’as and I spearheaded the process. The dreamers of the sanctioned houses gathered around the Cauldron acenter, curious and afraid of such a dangerous formation of immense power. Essences of various dreamers, beasts, and anything in between were sacrificed into the pool of chaos. An insidious corruption manifested it’s influence around the pool and began to overtake Ra’as. Indeed, with the wellspring of the Great One at his disposal, a measure of power coursed through his soul like he’d never imagined. His greatest triumph was upon him –but such power is not achieved without sacrifice. Once it overcame him, he assumed the form of a soulsphere, as the power obtained was writ in blood. He drew deep from the power of the bond, embracing the corruption it entailed. A great presence filled the air – the collective blood sacrifices among the room. Some reviled at the sight. The weakest were paralyzed by fear and many ran. Mandus, however, gave his whole being to it. He soaked the entirety of his soulsphere into the pool of chaos. But still he drew from each dreamer’s bloodline reservoir. With the final surge of strength – the feathers from the darkmare, Annibuul were soaked in more than just blind repulsion – they drew from the torrents of chaos themselves, forming a bond with the residual chaos itself.

Slowly, the tides of Bashir retreated…and the ominous presence receded. When the last of the tides relented, the feathers had become artifacts, each becoming a terrifying shade of energy the city’s never known. They were comprised no longer of blood and soul—only viscid, tainted objects of power. Many dreams later, by the creativity, ambition, and perhaps even recklessness of a great many contributors; the Wing was formed at the Phoenix hall, held at bay by its sister Wing, Arata in a shell of DreamSoul.