Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Art of Quest - History

Lore, history and other content by the citizens of Underlight preserved for posterity.
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers
Character Name(s): Purple Lace, etal

Art of Quest - History

Post by -Lacie- »

LadySilver very politely requested that I relay the history of Quest, to the best of my knowledge. As I was there when the art was created, I am happy to recollect the history, as I remember it.

During the beginning of the first Chaos Eclipse, a group, called The Conclave of Elders*, appeared in the City, right before the turn of the mortal millennium (1999). They pronounced themselves in charge of all the Teachers, and began to assert themselves. Believe me, ~no-one~ appreciated this. You see, back then, Quests (or commonly called Tasks) were written on Inscribed Codices. Teachers were given very liberal birth in what they could write in these tasks, and there were no checks-and-balances. This is the end of the era of the "Jump Task", and the "Bring me 50 Essences for X plat" tasks.

So, I believe after the Gens stopped working, and the Lesser NightMares failed to reappear after collapse (might have been after, don't shoot the scribe here), The Conclave made a rather bold, and highly controversial move: the Train of ~every~ Teacher was suddenly gone one Dream. I mean GONE. No Teacher could Train another Dreamer in ~anything~!!! Of course, the response was loud, shocking and dramatic. The Conclave declared that the whole Teaching system was going to be overhauled and that the Teachers could either be a part of it, or just left to abide by the rules created by others.

So, Munchkin (in her infinite glory and wisdom) and a few other higher-leveled Teachers got a group of us together to work with The Conclave. As Munchkin's apprentice, I was at her side. (That's right, folks! This was before I was ordained as a Teacher!) I have tried to remember who else was in the group; I want to say Luinitari, guardDog, Ghazgkull, Folko, Ambi... gosh, it's been so long ago! It seems there was at least one Teacher from each House, which, with the exclusion of the Keepers of the Eternal Shadow, were all open at the time. The FreeSpirits also had at least one representative - Ishido? Kard? I am just not sure who at this point.

So, the group of Teachers joined The Conclave in weekly discussions. The main idea was to create a system by which the Elders could monitor questing activity in a way that would not impede Teaching, but enhance it. The group decided upon the Master Teacher system. The idea was simple: create an Art, Quest, which would create a special Codex which could be monitored by the Elders. This Quest would be attuned specifically to both an Art and a particular Student (many times in the past, students would drop a task on collapse and another person would try to turn it in as their own). So the Art of Inscribe was torn apart, some aspects of Train added to it, and put back together as Quest.

Meanwhile, none of the Teachers could Train still. This process seemed to take forever, but it might have only been a few weeks. At any rate, once Quest was created, each and every Teacher who wished to continue teaching had to swear to an Oath*** which The Conclave and the associated Teachers had also been working diligently on.

After Quest had been created and Teachers were sworn to new oaths and Teaching again, the Conclave and Teachers then began the arduous task of creating the Master Teacher system, which included the use of smaller halos atop their regular ones, TrainSelf and the subsequent Support arts (Support Train & Sphere). There was an additional oath that Master Teachers had to swear to. To my recollection, the rule for ***MT's was 1 or 2(?) Masters of each Focus per House. It took another month or more to convince The Conclave that the FreeSpirits should have 3 Masters** of each focus as well. (I got Ordained somewhere in the midst of this.)

*The Conclave Member List: Reshdyn, Ryanna, Dymneshiel, Thunberg, Otagwe, Telomir, Melsian, Tebryn, Ash Corwin, K'Alee, Brosh, Chain, Tryst, Melsian, Haziri, Balthir, ShaResa, and 'Wyrmgrim (who banded with Barachus & the Sacred Band to create SoulShield)

**FreeSpirit Master Teachers: (SM) - Watcher, Drizzt Do'Urden, Fafhrd. (FS) - Samarina, Ishido, I Dont Know, (GK) - Magerum, Ghazgkull, Turbo-Speed (DS) - Dayride's Aura, SocietyX, Kard.

***Master Teachers: (GoTE) Munchkin, (DS) Darion (GK), (DoL) FLUSHY (?), (PoR) MsXtreme (GK), (HC) wolftcp (), (AoE) Intrigue (DS), Subtle One (DS). (I know there were more, but my records fall short here.)

****Oath: Of note: The first two drafts of this oath were not approved. I do, however, have a copy of the final Oath, should anyone be interested in seeing it. I also possess a copy of the Ordainment Oath of the Conclave of Elders, as well as a copy of Ordainment Way, the system set up to apprentice for the Halo, and the Paths of Teaching Discipline in my terribly arcane journals.

~Lacie~
~Lacie~
Keeper of the Eternal Shadow
Screchethan Kabal
"Cuz Clever got me this far, then Tricky got me in."