Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Awakening Day

Lore, history and other content by the citizens of Underlight preserved for posterity.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Awakening Day

Post by Uthanatos »

It occurs to me that as of today I have been awakened for two full years. This realization is not without it's own gravity which has led to some amount of introspection.

Two years ago, I was wide eyed and filled with wonder, I had hope that all the dreamers of the city could work together towards something greater than themselves or their factions, which admittedly I did not understand at the time. I sought to bring people together, regardless of their differences. To some extent it worked, for a while, people who normally didn't want much of anything to do with one another helped one another with their projects and we had progress. It wasn't all me and I know that, others were a huge part of it, setting aside their own grievances and grudges to work together, but then something changed and everything fractured again. Selfishness and self righteousness took over once more and that dream was lost.

I can't speak to the moment of change, it was a gradual thing, constantly struggling, losing even in victory, failing even in success, watching dreamers twist things that should benefit the city to benefit themselves instead, watching dreamers actively working against the city. Over time, watching that self interest, that disregard for the city and other dreamers dulled the light in my eyes as the veil of wonder faded.

Two years ago, I could not have imagined standing where I do today. I could not have imagined the friends made and lost along the way. Nor could I have imagined learning to care so deeply as I have come to. Alternately, I could never have fathomed the pain and sorrow, the frustration and the depths of rage and despair that I would experience along the way.

If there is a lesson to be learned, it is that we shape the dreams of others, not just our own. If we choose to fill them with strife and discord, those are the lessons they will learn.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days