Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Shield Strategies

Lore, history and other content by the citizens of Underlight preserved for posterity.
Neil
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Neil

Shield Strategies

Post by Neil »

To reweave or not reweave. I recently conducted a study with several dreamers across the city. The study reviewed how dreamers strategically organize their shields during battle for quick swapping as well as their approach to wearing shields. Below are my findings from the study.

Shield Clumping
These dreamers organize all their shields together in a specific location, top, middle, or bottom of their pack. If the dreamer needs to switch shields mid-battle, they will know exactly where the group of shields are within their pack, and reach for another one. Based on the strategy, and desire to reweave, they will swap the shield mid-battle or simply let it be destroyed.

Shield Interspersing
These dreamers strategically organize their shields across their pack, pairing them next to DreamSoul elemens and chakrams. A new shield is typically made active once the previous one is destroyed, or when reaching for the next group of DreamSoul elemen and chakram.

Shieldless
These dreamers do not bother with shields and use no protection! They focus more on the battle, switching only between DreamSoul elemens and chakrams. This should go without saying, but this strategy provides the least absorption.

One Timer
These dreamers are similar to the shieldless, but use protection while it lasts. If the shield is destroyed, it is normally replaced post-battle.

Low vs. High % Absorption
During the study, I found each dreamer has a preference of the absorption percentage:

Lower absorption percents help to lower overall damage minimally and avoids the shield from being destroyed too quickly, allowing for fewer shield swaps during battle. This also requires more DreamSoul elemens to be used.
Higher absorption percents help to lower overall damage maximally, but are destroyed quicker, requiring more shield swaps during battle. This also requires fewer DreamSoul elemens to be used.

You will have to decide the best approach according to the opposition, how much shield swapping is desired, and damage absorption is needed. At the very least, I recommend having one active shield for additional protection!

-Neil