Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

A Wordsmiths Thoughts (Editorial)

Lore, history and other content by the citizens of Underlight preserved for posterity.
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

A Wordsmiths Thoughts (Editorial)

Post by Arnaya »

In my time serving as one of the cities Wordsmiths, it has happened a few times now where someone's "Rights" and sense of "Fairness" have been grievously wounded. Most recently, this came about by one particular individual complaining about an issue regarding the long term storage and display of items from an event of his, in an area of the city that has been given to the Wordsmiths to maintain and adjudicate.

Since actual conversation gets about as far in this city as a flat bottomed boulder being pushed by a toddler... I'll say what I have to here. And, once the outrage is finished, maybe one or two of the ten to twenty people that will read it... will actually Read it and think about what's in it rather than just how offended they are.

First Off: At no point have the Wordsmiths (At least since I began dreaming) discouraged someone from being creative and contributing artistic works to the city. We've asked that people not be crude asses about it, but that's about it.

Secondly: At no point (Again, since I began dreaming) have any of the wordsmiths every said people can't display things in the museum. We've simply asked that people be responsible about it and not try to take over the entire damned museum for their latest 20 plat redeemable event.

Despite what some say to the contrary, the Wordsmiths take our obligation to preserve the lore and culture of the city seriously and strive to act in a fair manner. Though Please note, that "Fair" does NOT mean "Whatever is best for you and everyone else be damned". "Fair" means without prejudice, and bias... to ensure that ACCURATE accounts are kept (As best possible), and the cities creativity is preserved for future generations. Whether by a first time artist, or a veteran. We have little patience with the mentality "But, I do more, so I'm entitled to more" or the "But, I did this in ages past so I have to be given whatever I want now". The past is a great thing to learn from, but it doesn't necessarily equate to present greatness.... and certainly doesn't get anyone special treatment from pretty much any of us unless the individuals ONGOING efforts support such.

We do not engage in "Spinning" things to present them in a fashion beneficial to us, though will often present accounts based on what we ourselves have seen. If we have missed a FACT, please let us know. Also, be advised that many of our members are quite skilled in satire, and more than willing to strike out at people who had earned our wrath, in such a manner. Personal editorials are Also allowed, and engaged in by our members (Kinda like this little rambling bit that your reading). Though we do strive to make sure that they are documented as such so as to prevent confusion with factual articles.

We are NOT here to serve YOU. We are those that have chosen to serve the City as a whole, both the present and the future of it. By promoting knowledge of the past and present, and ensuring that the creativity of both is preserved for the future. Quite frankly, if that's a problem for you.... Dorsal rift is that way <---, and Caudal that way ---->. Pick one, and go for a long walk off a short platform in the company of a roaring horron.

We do this because WE choose to, and see a real need for it. Not because we are in any way Obligated, ordered, led, or commanded to do so. We do the best we can, with what we've got, when we've got it. We arn't perfect, and all of us make our mistakes. Some of them are outright, some have mixed reviews. We try to correct what we can, learn from everything, and grow as dreamers and individuals...all the while Trying to keep from losing ourselves and becoming jaded to the wonders of the city. Like nearly everyone reading this, we have responsibilities both back home (Shardic) and within the city. Some as Teachers, or Dreamsmiths, or Rulers/Guardians of a house.

So, Here's a radical suggestion.... rant and grumble to your friends about how unfair and evil and whatever your current group of "OMG!! I hate these stupid bastards" and get it out of your system. Then, actually go and TALK to them. "Us" and "Them" only exists when and how we choose to let it, and very frequently... once we understand the actual REASONS for why people are doing what they're doing... things make a Lot more sense and many problems can be resolved.

~ Arnaya, Wordsmith
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.