Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Ascending Fall - part 1

Lore, history and other content by the citizens of Underlight preserved for posterity.
Synteny
Ascended Dreamers
Character Name(s): Synteny

Ascending Fall - part 1

Post by Synteny »

Author's note: This is a fictional story inspired by the tale of Lord Ascheron, as he described the fall of his city before it became the Lightless. It is fictional, and not intended to represent what may actually have happened.

"... and after that, I came across a red stone about a hand-width across. I thought it was strange because there are no red stone deposits on that plane, so I took it to the lab for..."

Rendell let out a frustrated groan and removed his hand from his face. The bridge of his nose was red from where he had been pinching it, trying to stave off a migraine. In truth, he hadn't listened to half of what the other dreamer had been saying as soon as he started talking. Now, the drone of a voice had stopped, cut short by Rendell's groan. Rexwyn tilted his head at him a bit, his dark eyes providing a questioning glance from under his meticulously combed sandy hair.

"Did I say something wrong?" Rexwyn juggled the codices in his hands where he had written his notes. He always used codices rather than a normal notebook, another thing that annoyed Rendell for some reason he wasn't able to pinpoint.

"Rex, this is the third time you've tried to report your Sphere task, and each time you have completely missed the point of the task." Rendell waved the task -- written on actual paper -- about as he spoke. "I don't care about some mineral samples you've come across. You were supposed to come out of your comfort zone and try something new."

It was true, Rexwyn was an excellent researcher and scientist. A logical mind that usually affected his social skills, and not for the better. He excelled in nearly any academic pursuit, but Rendell had never seen the man produce anything of a creative or impulsive nature. He had intended to get the man to push his boundaries with his 6th sphere task, but every time the student tried to report, he would only drone on about mineral samples, or strange gen behaviors, or finding a new way to use a dreamroots sap.

Rexwyn somehow managed to juggle his codices and fold his arms in front of himself in a defensive manner. Despite Rendell being much taller and broader than his student, Rexwyn always managed to make his arm-crossing-stance seem like it took up the entire room. "I offer apologies if I do not meet your standards, but truth be told; most teachers would at least recognize my efforts rendered into this quest. Each time I have tried, you've only sent me away."

It took what little patience Rendell had left to stop himself from pinching the bridge of his nose again. "Look, I'm sorry, Rex. I have to admit that I have a stabbing headache. The astronomer-priests have been in a fit over a bunch of "signs" they say mean foul business is coming our way. The Matriarchs want me to find out what the threat is, but it's been two weeks and nothing. The Matriarchs are constantly on me for updates, it's becoming extremely frustrating."

Rexwyn watched as his teacher let out a tired sigh, running a thick hand through his crimson colored hair, then down to scratch his short beard. "I have heard the warnings as well, the College is also concerned and I feel your frustration." Putting away his codices, Rexwyn continued in a softer voice. "I know my hobbies bore you to death, my ca'dam. I will try the task again."

Half smiling at the intimate and close 'ca'dam' title, Rendell waves a dismissive hand. "No, you're right Rex. I should be more open with your efforts. But I really feel like you could grow by expanding your horizons." He rests a hand on Rexwyn's shoulder comfortingly, his hand nearly completely covering the smaller dreamers shoulder. "How about I join you up on the Ridge, and we can explore it together."

A warm smile crossed Rexwyn's face, something rare on the normally no-nonsense dreamer. Rare to most other than Rendell, that is. He opened his mouth to accept his teachers offer, but never got he words out. He felt it first, a thud and a pressure against -- and also within -- his chest. As if someone had just hit him with a wide tree. Rexwyn stumbled to maintain his balance, and realized Rendell's hand on his shoulder had gone from comforting - to the other man attempting to use it to maintain his own balance. In less than a breaths time, he heard it. A deafening boom followed by an equally disturbing crack and an echo ripping across the sky above them.

They both had thought at first that it was some sort of dreamquake, until they realized there was no shaking, only the force and the boom. As their avatars adapted to the jostle Rendell gripped both his hands over Rexwyn's upper arms, looking at him with concern. "Rex, you alright? The holy hell was that?"

But Rexwyn was already looking upwards, and Rendell followed his gaze. Almost directly above them, two massive dark shapes hung in the sky in front of the eternal eclipse of the sable moon.

Rendell felt his heart fall into his stomach, and not from the sonic boom. He looked back down to his student who quickly met his gaze. Rexwyn was lost in the taller dreamers icy-blue eyes as his mind raced. An event rarely stalled his calculating mind from processing, but everything had happened so fast that it took him a few beats to focus. "We must go to the Matriarchs." He finally managed, "Now, Ren. We need to go now."

To be continued...