Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Musings of What is Lost

Lore, history and other content by the citizens of Underlight preserved for posterity.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Musings of What is Lost

Post by Uthanatos »

I sometimes get lost in musings, my mind wanders and picks out a topic for some reason or no reason at all and I find myself inspired to record those thoughts. In speaking with a friend recently, I came to realize that as we progress as people and societies, things are forgotten along the way. Ancient taboos become everyday and practices that arose to circumvent them are lost, hundreds or thousands of years of oral knowledge lost, to the void in the name of progress and expedience.

Who then, is to regain these skills, if not taught?
Who then, is to perfect what it took generations to master?
Who then, without guidance can walk a path so firmly through their lives to make up for the lost wisdom of generations past?

Who indeed...

When the grandmother speaks to the granddaughter and her words fall on deaf ears? What then?
When the mother holds out her hand to teach, and the daughter walks away?

Who then, shall remember the artistry of the past?
Who then, shall master the skills of old?

Sadly we hold ourselves to the task less as generations pass. The old skills, the old ways are forgotten and lost. This leads us to ask...

For all that we lose...is it truly progress at all?

Uthanatos
Ü
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days