Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Installer Issue Still

Please list bugs discovered here. BE AS SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE IN DESCRIBING THE ERROR.
Butterfly
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arlyana Jax

Installer Issue Still

Post by Butterfly »

The installer, even the newest one, is still showing up as a virus.
Arlyana Jax Shaw
Sovereign of Stuffing
Amanuensis of Academia
Eternal Calenturian

Uthanatos: I don't know what you are talking about, that's not a woman, it's an AJ
Koi-JorKyrin
System Administrator

Re: Installer Issue Still

Post by Koi-JorKyrin »

Butterfly,

Good morning,

Please provide more information such as what type of Anti-virus application you use, as well as what it is labeling the the installer as? (ie. Trojan? Some other type?) Also at what point is it alerting you during the process? At installation? Or at the time of running the application?

Thanks!
Koi - Jor'Kyrin
System Administrator
KoiWare, LLC
Koi-JorKyrin
System Administrator

Post by Koi-JorKyrin »

I did some of my own research on this to help set minds at ease here. Also I'd like to turn this thread into a UL Community research thread for this specific topic as KoiWare takes these types of reports very seriously.

------- Virus Total Scans --------

I submitted the underlight-setup.exe installer file to virustotal.com for scanning and this was the result:
https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/e6baf ... /detection

1 of 66 anti-virus firms marked it as malware. 65 come back as clean, this is good! ------ When looking up "HEUR/QVM07.1.07F9.Malware.Gen" which was reported by Qihoo-360 (never heard of this anti-virus firm before, Chinese?) it was stated to be a potentially un-wanted program (PUP) which had nothing more for an explanation than that.

--

I also ran the underlight.exe and pmare.exe files through virustotal.com and this was the result:
https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/641e8 ... /detection
https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/96a8f ... /detection

1 of 67 anti-virus firms reported "RiskTool.BitCoinMiner.itb". 66 come back as clean, again, this is a good thing! ------ I can certainly state that there is no bit coin miner in our software and or installer. it was a strange anti-virus company named "Jiangmin" that reported this, which is a false positive for certain.

--

To be double sure, I ran our Install Creator ic.exe executable through the virus total and it came up with 0/67 for detections:
https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/f199f ... /detection

The machine used for compiling the Underlight software is regularly scanned for malware on a continuous basis with three different anti-virus programs, Sophos Home, Hitman Pro, and adwcleaner.

--

Conclusion, if you check out the scan links you'll noticed of the several green checks showing as clean, there are major anti-virus companies listed here. Hopefully this sets the minds of many at ease if you are worried about this. In this day and age, we should be vigilant!

Regards,
Koi - Jor'Kyrin
System Administrator
KoiWare, LLC
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

Very nice research Jor, good due dilligence there as well. I'll see if I can get AJ or her Hubby to give you more precise details about what she keeps getting :)
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Brother Timothy
Dreamer

Post by Brother Timothy »

If it is any help my antivirus flagged underlight-webinstaller.exe as having "Program:win32/Unwaders.C!ml" and quarantined it. Now I manually download the updates.
Koi-JorKyrin
System Administrator

Post by Koi-JorKyrin »

Afternoon Brother Timothy,

Soon we will be using Steam for Underlight's installation and auto-patching platform. There won't be an installer at that point to cause anyone anti-virus client interference moving forward. Depending on how well received the release is on Steam, and how many people migrate there for their installation and automatic updates needs, I may abandon the Creator installers all together. I mean, automatic updates? Doesn't get better than that! The down side is some may not be up to speed with how Steam works and why they need to sign up for it to play the game. So, we will see!

Anyways, just a side note that the old underlight-webinstaller.exe installer was deprecated. I am not surprised that it is being labeled as a trojan due to what was explained here ( viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5452 ). For now, the latest is underlight-setup.exe. Do you also get virus scan reports from this executable as being a trojan as well?

Latest installer can be found here: http://download.underlight.com/

Regards,
Koi - Jor'Kyrin
System Administrator
KoiWare, LLC
Princess
Dreamer
Character Name(s): ZsaZsa~ tiny princess

Cant log..after new update.

Post by Princess »

I did a fresh uninstall and.reinstall

It is saying either dream.unavailable or classic ptr client. Or update. This has expired on the last one i.logged i tp before the update. Please help
You see a pressed seal of wax is etched displaying in the center an empty Sigil. The etching is shaped in the manner of a coat of arms. The top right sector, a teacup, the top left, a dolly.
Zsa Zsa,tiny princess of the City of Dreams
Koi-JorKyrin
System Administrator

Post by Koi-JorKyrin »

Princess,

Good morning!

My apologies that you are experiencing issues! I wonder if maybe you are trying to run the "PTR Underlight Client". That is the Player Test Realm client which is currently offline (Connects to PTR Server). The client you want to run is from Start Menu > Underlight > "Underlight client". Please avoid any of the PTR labeled options unless you plan on testing upcoming versions.

Also the installer should be placing icons on your desktop. You can check there for the correct short-cut links as well!

I hope this helps! If you are still having issues, please provide a bit more detail here and I can attempt to assist further.
Koi - Jor'Kyrin
System Administrator
KoiWare, LLC