Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

New Computer won't run...

Please list bugs discovered here. BE AS SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE IN DESCRIBING THE ERROR.
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

New Computer won't run...

Post by Arnaya »

I picked up a new computer, running Windows 10. And I can't get it to run UL (Still have my old one, so I'm not out of the game). I keep getting a message that UL had to close (occurs immediately on launch) because it can't open the .out file. Any suggestions from anyone?
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Re: New Computer won't run...

Post by Uthanatos »

All I know there is that is your log file, I had to set mine to always open them with notepad++ when I upgraded to win10.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

I'll give it a try and see what I can do, thank you :)
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Pheasant
Dreamer

Post by Pheasant »

The computer I just bought also runs Windows 10, but I never had an issue running UL... So I'm a bit curious what's going on with yours.
DONE
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

I've got it set up so that it'll open the .out files manually with Notepad, but the game still won't launch (tried different compatibility modes, and a couple of graphics settings. Same error each time). Any other suggestions?
Pheasant
Dreamer

Post by Pheasant »

Just throwing this out there, I'm not a computer wiz, but did you try running it as administrator? That sometimes fixes things.
DONE
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

Good call Pheasant, that got it to launch. Now I'm getting a DDERR_UNSUPPORTED message and it crashes lol
Last edited by Arnaya on Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

Underlight didn't have permission to write to your log file. Best bet is to install UL to your "C:\Users\ArnayaIsAPunk" profile folder. Shouldn't have any write issues there.

Otherwise you need to configure your UAC to allow writing into your folder or run as Administrator.
Pheasant
Dreamer

Post by Pheasant »

Well... My silly idea got you at least half way there. Lol
DONE
Uthanatos
Dreamer

Post by Uthanatos »

That's a screen resolution error, your monitor doesn't support the default screen settings. Let me look up the registry edit to fix it for you.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Pheasant
Dreamer

Post by Pheasant »

Sidas wrote: "C:\Users\ArnayaIsAPunk"
I'm using this as my new signature. I called dibs.
DONE
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

LOL, Sidas. I'm glad to see you haunting the forums again, welcome back :)

And thank you Uthanatos, I never know what these error messages are. Usually I get one of my roomies to look at it, but the one that knows a little bit about computers isn't home :(
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

Sorry Sidas, I don't have any other OS disks right now, and the last one I downloaded caused some.... problems. Even after doing a full virus check on it and everything (and, I've never been able to get a Vbox to work right. Shared folders don't work, etc...

PS: Pheasant, THIEF!!! :P
Pheasant
Dreamer

Post by Pheasant »

Arnaya wrote:PS: Pheasant, THIEF!!! :P
... "C:\Users\HaelIsATheif"?
DONE
Uthanatos
Dreamer

Post by Uthanatos »

If you can get the login screen up, then you can adjust your video settings there, if not, then using regedit, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Lyra\Underlight\1.0 edit the resolution to hex value 400. As mentioned in the thread Sidas linked, multiple monitors and windowed mode can cause issues as well, though I haven't experienced those.
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

Tried, but still getting the same error. Thank you for looking that up though Uthanatos, it was worth a try
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

WOOT!!! Got it. There was a setting changed, hidden away in the properties, that I don't remember selecting or changing. Looks like I can get in now on a computer that Doesn't drop connection every 10 minutes :D
Pheasant
Dreamer

Post by Pheasant »

Too bad there's no party popper emoji.
DONE
Uthanatos
Dreamer

Post by Uthanatos »

Woooot....also...Todd in my IT department looked up that setting in the registry...
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

Give him a big hug and thank you from me then please, Uthy?