Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Bandwidth Question

Please list bugs discovered here. BE AS SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE IN DESCRIBING THE ERROR.
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Bandwidth Question

Post by Arnaya »

Does Underlight REALLY use more bandwidth than streaming video? Seriously, I keep getting booted from game for what amounts to "Not enough Bandwidth"... but I can stream video, load high graphics websites, etc etc without problem.
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Koi-Ajax
Dreamer

Re: Bandwidth Question

Post by Koi-Ajax »

What makes you think it's bandwidth?

It's more likely you're having issues with the TCP connection dropping packets which will disconnect you. My guess without more information is that it would be related to you running the game in a Virtual Machine.
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

I'm running straight off of the main system right now, not a Virtual Box. It's gotten Really bad, and the message I get is network communication... its been a bit better since I unchecked the TCP box in the launcher, but its still pretty bad.
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Koi-Ajax
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Ajax »

The network error is pretty generic. What OS are you running? Do you play over WIFI? If so, can you try playing over ethernet to see if it improves?
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

Running Windows 7, and my connection is WiFi... unfortunately Ethernet isn't an option (Shared internet). It doesn't seem to impact other on-line activity though. UL boots me, I can go right on and load a webcomic, or DeviantArt, or pretty much whatever without any real delay. I guess its not a big deal, it just gets really frustrating.
Black Cloud
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Cloud

Post by Black Cloud »

Hmm.. I can't imagine that UL uses much bandwidth. If a 56k dial-up connection let you play as it was intended, I doubt that today's high-bandwidth connections have any problem running it for long periods. Also, while I was traveling, I had one of those pocket Wifi devices and I remember after playing the whole night, usage was minimal. I was actually surprised at how little bandwidth it used, but I don't have exact numbers. Maybe one of the Devs can enlighten us.
Koi-Ajax
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Ajax »

I touched on it in another thread but Underlight isn't Bandwidth heavy. It does, however, require a constant connection and is sensitive to network hiccups. Netflix doesn't have the same problems since it can buffer streaming by downloading ahead of what you're actually viewing. That means quick network interruptions won't bother a Netflix stream in the same way it would bother Underlight.
Leolus
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Restel

Post by Leolus »

Probably isn't very relevant now but upload channels getting clogged up could be an issue. Run a constant ping to google and if someone uploads something, IE Snapchat/facebook/etc, look to see what happens to your ping/packet loss. If you get a large uptick in ping or complete packet loss then whoever's uploading may be eating all the bandwidth for your upload channels. There are a few solutions to this. First make sure you're running a modem that's the latest version of docsis that your ISP will support. This is probably 3+ and if you're running a docsis 2 modem you're severely limited. Second is limiting device bandwidth. Your router may be able to limit each devices bandwidth to make sure one user isn't eating your entire pipe. Third you can check about upgrading your bandwidth. The problem is most ISPs sell you upload speed as a percentage of your download and you're likely not going to outrun the upload bottleneck unless you get into enterprise level service or a fiber symmetrical connection.
~Restel
~Bane