Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Hack?

Please list bugs discovered here. BE AS SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE IN DESCRIBING THE ERROR.
Elmer
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Elmer

Hack?

Post by Elmer »

Hey, this is really wierd, i clicked on my desktop shortcut to play and got a msg the shortcut had been removed or altered.. i hadnt touched anything, played last night.
So i went into my UL folder and anly the pmare ico.exe was there no UL.exe, so i went to do a fresh install.. it gets wierder..
installed, went to play, norton blocked it and removed it as unsafe, had a trojan8 something.. did a scan and my machine is clean, tried another fresh install, same thing.

gonna try my back up machine, but thought this was worth mentioning.

R.
Whisperer>>elms<<Naturalist
-Greed breeds destruction-
-You'll only ever see what I choose to show you-
-Manners are free-
-The Music of Nature fills the cracks in the mind that words will never reach-
Tember
Dreamers of Light

Re: Hack?

Post by Tember »

Flower is having this same exact problem. She can't even reach the website from her computer.
Elmer
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Elmer

Post by Elmer »

i figured this out
did some research and this trojan is a "false positive" seemingly exclusive to norton security. so when norton asked me if i wanted to restore the file i said yes, and ul is working now.

Seems that when Norton updates it creates this problem, and is somewhat recent, end of March.

R.
Whisperer>>elms<<Naturalist
-Greed breeds destruction-
-You'll only ever see what I choose to show you-
-Manners are free-
-The Music of Nature fills the cracks in the mind that words will never reach-
Dina

Post by Dina »

I thought I was banned, so I went into IRC to make sure. I was told it should be fixed today. Here I am!

Shadow gave me a website to use, to get here. It worked, but I have no clue what it was.
LadySilver
Dreamer

Post by LadySilver »

cannot get it. Sorry dar and others
Koi-Echelon

Post by Koi-Echelon »

Due to a recent update Norton has deleted/quarantined Underlight.exe on your PC.

No matter how many times you reinstall, Norton will continue deleting the file every time.

So, you have to go into Norton and restore the file and say "Hey, stop that".

Easiest way to fix this is to install Underlight using the download link found here.

Once you install, launch Underlight. Do this from the desktop (uncheck the launch box during the install). Once you launch Underlight Norton will block the application (in fact deleting it) from running and will inform you of this action. Click the alert dialog that pops up (normally in the lower right corner of your screen), so that it gives you additional details.

Then....

and then....

Click Yes.

Dream on.
LadySilver
Dreamer

Post by LadySilver »

Thanks for the treatment all set now!
Gorgunsun
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Gorgunsun, Gromnir

Post by Gorgunsun »

Ok I'm using Spectrum (Charter) security suite and it won't even let me download the installation file. Not really tech savvy these days, can anyone gimme a hand here?
Koi-Echelon

Post by Koi-Echelon »

Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

So, basically.... make sure that Underlight is on the "Exceptions" list of your security suite for browsing and network access?
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Koi-Echelon

Post by Koi-Echelon »

Arnaya wrote:So, basically.... make sure that Underlight is on the "Exceptions" list of your security suite for browsing and network access?
Indeed.
Gorgunsun
Dreamer

Post by Gorgunsun »

Arright I did all that, and now when I download it it still won't allow me to get the file and says: "Conputer security removed a harmful file that it found in your network traffic. You can continue to use your computer normally. Infection name: Gen:Variant.Graftor.365554."
Koi-Echelon

Post by Koi-Echelon »

Unfortunately, I am finding very little documentation for Spectrum Security Suite and I'm not about to purchase it...

I can tell you what you need to do, from a general standpoint though...

You need to add Underlight.exe to the exclusion (sometimes called exception) list in your antivirus. When you're informed that the file was blocked you can usually click on the dialog box itself to access the details of this event. As I posted earlier for people using Norton, it is at this point that you can exclude the file from future scans.

Or look in the scan settings/preferences for Exclude/Exception options.

If that doesn't work/you can't figure it out, contact whatever support channels Spectrum has and ask them how to add an exception to your scanning options.
Gorgunsun
Dreamer

Post by Gorgunsun »

Thanks for trying anyways Echelon. Much appreciated.