Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

UI Issues with Windows 8

Please list bugs discovered here. BE AS SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE IN DESCRIBING THE ERROR.
Tary
Dreamer

UI Issues with Windows 8

Post by Tary »

Testers: Some of you have been having UI issues with Windows 8. Some issues are known (i.e. dragging an item causes the UI to go black), but one issue can be fixed relatively easily (I think).

First read here: http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/thread-13200.html
If that doesn't work you can also try the DirectDraw Compatibility Tool. The download links look sketchy because they're all in Russian but all the tool does is require you to select the game .exe you're running and then it adds a registry entry. Here's a link to the tool: http://www.4shared.com/file/xeIljXSm/Di ... Tool_.html

(I hope that link works... if it doesn't Google "DirectDraw Compatibility Tool")
Krodoc
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Krodoc

Re: UI Issues with Windows 8

Post by Krodoc »

I run Windows 8.1, and my entire chat section is blacked out, and i can't see anything in that box. My inventory, menu/elements section work fine, the menu has no text on the buttons, and my actual game view works fine.

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww29 ... otbeta.png
Kusspar
Dreamer

Post by Kusspar »

Is there an Windows 8.1 work around for the chat box and buttons being blank?

Thanks
Eeebro
Dreamer

Post by Eeebro »

I've tried everything from compatibility modes, VHDs, VMs, to finally giving up and shrinking my HD volume and creating a dual boot system for the time being.

Virtual Box - Will not work due to the lower end graphics card built into the systems. If you can find a higher end Vmware machine it may work. I haven't tried that yet.

VHD-- This still may work, but VHDs are only good for Win7 Ultimate & Enterprise. I only have Win7 Pro.

Good luck
Koi-Tus

Post by Koi-Tus »

As noted in another Win 8 post (Eeebro I had no issues getting this to work on a Win 8 64 bit system... not sure from your post what you are indicating about the graphics card):
A functional work around is to install Virtual Box (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) and create a virtual machine (VM) to install an earlier version of Windows OS (Win 7 or before and you'll need an OS disk to install the OS). You will also need to install the Guest Additions after you have set up the OS (under Device in the Virtual Box interface). Be sure to do all the windows updates. Because of the 800X600 resolution of UL, the screen will be small, so you'll want to set the guest window to scale mode to stretch the VM screen (and I'd set the VM display resolution to 800X600 just to match UL since that's all you need to run in it).

On a side note, if you plan to use a 64bit OS and are running on a 64bit system, you may need to make sure that Virtualization is enabled in the bios, or Virtual Box will not recognize a 64bit option (64bit is not software supported).
Shae
Dreamer

Post by Shae »

This works on my system perfectly!
Where are all the GateKeepers?!
Nio Tak
Dreamer

Post by Nio Tak »

I got the VM setup but when i try to launch the UL client I get this error message "DDERR_CANTLOCKSURFACE"
"You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you'll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present."
ZesAelik
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Zes

Post by ZesAelik »

I just started playing the game. All of my menus are blank, even the options menu. I have no idea what I am doing in game, or what the buttons do. I cant even go into the options to try and fix this. Please help.
Pickman
Dreamer

Post by Pickman »

Can't configure the game to my playing style or see any menus. As such on Windows 8 it's more or less unplayable.
fotowca
Dreamer

Post by fotowca »

Pickman wrote:Can't configure the game to my playing style or see any menus. As such on Windows 8 it's more or less unplayable.
There is another post that outlines setting up a VM running an earlier Windows Version that worked well for me. If you need a hand with this at all let me know and I can help you get it setup.
Pickman
Dreamer

Post by Pickman »

Alas, I don't own a boot disk for any previous version of Windows. Luckily I still have an old laptop sitting around with Windows 7 on it, so I'll just play UL on that until the devs come up with a proper fix.
fotowca
Dreamer

Post by fotowca »

Microsoft offers a free download of an xp VM that works with virtual box. It takes a bit of work to get it to work with Windows 8, but I'm doing it on my machine so anyone who would like some help can send me a message, or find me in-game (fotowca is my main). The VM still requires activation, and I can't provide you with a key, your on your own for that. But it's not to hard to get up and running.
fancypearl
PTR Tester (Rank 3)
Character Name(s): Stormy

Post by fancypearl »

This file is no longer available because of a claim by DtecNet Antipiracy on http://www.4shared.com/file/xeIljXSm/Di ... Tool_.html
found a new another link here:
https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/? ... 1285529788
from here http://steamcommunity.com/app/38400/dis ... 613303699/

running windows 8.1 have the graphics problems on menus. .
http://i.imgur.com/ESZX1O1
http://imgur.com/x1yvmq7

tested on windows 7 machine works fine without that problem.
Tested on windows xp works fine without that problem.

Attempted compatibility tool, same problem. using either apply selecting the file, or creating a reg file then running. (tried both apply first then reg)
Will update if I find a way to make it work outside of VM
fancypearl
PTR Tester (Rank 3)

Post by fancypearl »

I keep getting errors for bitblt
trying to get windows 8 to render the menu raster images.
using 640 x 800
ScreenToClient(0) ERROR 1400 at 488
GetClientRect ERROR 1400 at 422
ERROR_INVALID_WINDOW_HANDLE

Shot in the dark here..
could this have anything to do with the problem?
It seems odd as it says windows 7 and 8.. but it runs fine under 7, but not 8.. assume if this is the problem it's more enforced in 8? certainly seems very not friendly to ddraw
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx
DirectDraw lock
Windows 8 and Windows 7: Apps manifested for Windows 7 and later versions of the operating system cannot call Lock API in DDRAW to lock the primary desktop video buffer; doing so will result in an error, and a NULL pointer for the primary is returned. This behavior is enforced even if Desktop Window Manager Composition is not turned on. Apps with compatibility declared for Windows 7 and later must not lock the primary video buffer to render.
Windows Vista (default): Apps can acquire a lock on the primary video buffer, as legacy apps depend on this behavior; running the app turns off Desktop Window Manager.
DirectDraw bit-block transfer (bitblt) to primary without clipping window
Windows 8 and Windows 7: Apps manifested for Windows 7 and later versions of Windows are prevented from performing a bitblt to the primary Desktop video buffer without a clipping window; doing so results in an error and the bitblt area will not be rendered. Windows enforces this behavior even if you do not turn on Desktop Window Manager Composition. Apps with compatibility declared for Windows 7 and later must perform a bitblt to a clipping window.
Windows Vista (default): Apps must be able to perform a bitblt to the primary without a clipping window, as legacy apps depend on this behavior; running this app turns off the Desktop Window Manager.

This reg stopped the background flicker but didn't help the menu images.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
"C:\\underlight\\underlight.exe"="$ DWM8And16BitMitigation Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation"
fancypearl
PTR Tester (Rank 3)

Post by fancypearl »

Underlight is dependent on DirectDraw 7, the calls in use have been depreciated especially in windows 8. I get the same warnings about calls in windows 7 as I do in 8(about the bltfast). But it functions in 7 and not in 8. What I find odd I get the same behavior in ubuntu 14.04 with wine1.4 through 1.7(with mfc42 installed via winetricks). Nothing seems to change it, perhaps the same sort of depreciation is happening with X11 but I wont know till I try a lower version of linux, for now I'm going to install windows 7 and call it day. Thought I'd post my findings.
Cuero
Dreamer

Post by Cuero »

Playing on Windows 8 (can't revert to 7 until I get a CD key) Can someone PM me/reply with a detailed step-by-step walkthrough on how to set up VM Virtualbox? It started asking for hard drive creation and what sorts and all this stuff that I'm not familiar with. Any assistance would be super helpful.
~Cuero/Sevlen
Roland
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Roland

Post by Roland »

Using Virtual Box successfully, however I would really enjoy a larger viewing area. If I change the monitor resolution, I get DDER errors, if I try to scale it via VBox, it throws off the mapping (can't click on things). Do I need to reassemble and old XP machine to play well, or has someone discovered a better solution?
Voxaroth
Dreamer

Post by Voxaroth »

I run Windows 8, and so far, all my bugs have to do with empty menu boxes (all the clickable boxes for actions, options, etc are completely blank, so I'm guessing whether or not I'm clicking Accept/Cancel etc), and anytime I pick up an item, drop an item, or move an item in my inventory, everything but the main view window blacks out completely (no text, no seeing my element stats, no seeing arts/inventory/etc.). Clicking around a lot will bring most of it back, and for whatever reason, using Identify on an item will completely restore everything.

The game is perfectly playable otherwise for me, I just avoid picking anything up or organizing my pack. Glad you're on top of it, because my OCD for my pack is starting to kick in, and I'm just leaving essences where they lie when I collapse something.