Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Lag/Storms

Please list bugs discovered here. BE AS SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE IN DESCRIBING THE ERROR.
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Lag/Storms

Post by Arnaya »

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this... but more than 3 people fighting in a room right now, and I start lagging so bad that Arnaya is pretty much useless in a fight. I've heard that others are having a bad time with them, but its outright crippling on my end... and everything else internet wise seems to be working just fine. Is this one of those memory leak things Spark mentioned, or is it just on my end?
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Malarky
Dreamer

Re: Lag/Storms

Post by Malarky »

If this were a memory leak, you'd experience it worse over time until it was crippling. Restarting the program would fix the issue for a time.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

Arnaya wrote:I don't know if anyone else has noticed this... but more than 3 people fighting in a room right now, and I start lagging so bad that Arnaya is pretty much useless in a fight. I've heard that others are having a bad time with them, but its outright crippling on my end... and everything else internet wise seems to be working just fine. Is this one of those memory leak things Spark mentioned, or is it just on my end?
What's your OS?
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

Restart doesn't always fix it, so I guess its not a memory leak thing lol. I'm running Win XP Service Pack 3 on a virtual machine
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

Arnaya wrote:Restart doesn't always fix it, so I guess its not a memory leak thing lol. I'm running Win XP Service Pack 3 on a virtual machine

Why?

What operating system do you have not on a VM the game may not run well on post XP?
Tary
Dreamer

Post by Tary »

Does it always happen? If so then, yeah, it's probably you. I have a similar setup (my desktop is Ubuntu 16.04 and I run WinXP in a vBox) and I haven't noticed lag problems during combat - and I'm several thousand miles (~6000 or so as the crow flies, by my estimate) away from the servers so I naturally expect some lag at all times.**

There are some odd quirks with the UL server where every now and then several player threads will simply stop responding; I suspect it's due to a race condition on a lock or something of the sort but it never happens dependably (as is the nature of these things) and so we've not been able to track it down. That said, it wouldn't be an all-the-time bug, just a "hey we were sitting around doing X and all of a sudden the entire room went poof!"

** Tangential edit because I had to figure it out: according to Google a lightyear is ~9,500,000,000,000km (i.e. the distance light can travel in a year). Therefore a lightsecond is ~300,000km or 186,000 miles. So 6,000 miles is 0.03 lightseconds or 30ms. Meaning my baseline lag - in a vacuum, in a world where light travels through wires at the speed of light, and where I have a direct connection from the UL servers to my desktop, I'd still be facing 30ms of lag in one direction. Of course I probably pass through many more miles of wire, and there's lossiness along the way, as well as time for packet switching and passing through routers and... yeah. Anyway. Interesting stuff.
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

I was having a lot of lag problems a few months ago, but I knew that was our internet connection. New connection though, and things were fine until just recently. A bit of lag, especially in large groups (that's kinda expected though). Things have gotten really bad lately however, like the other day up at KoES...Arnaya would be coming in on Lu or LordMagmus, some chak fire exchanged that missed... suddenly their on the other side of the room and Arnaya's registering hits. Miss a target by like... most of the room, and they scream is if Arnaya had hit them. Or no fire coming in at her at all that I can see, Lu in front of Arnaya and not looking at her, no rebound angles there... but Lu's hitting her *shrugs*.

Just frustrating more than anything
Toregord
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Toregord and others

Post by Toregord »

Tary wrote:Does it always happen? If so then, yeah, it's probably you. I have a similar setup (my desktop is Ubuntu 16.04 and I run WinXP in a vBox) and I haven't noticed lag problems during combat - and I'm several thousand miles (~6000 or so as the crow flies, by my estimate) away from the servers so I naturally expect some lag at all times.**

There are some odd quirks with the UL server where every now and then several player threads will simply stop responding; I suspect it's due to a race condition on a lock or something of the sort but it never happens dependably (as is the nature of these things) and so we've not been able to track it down. That said, it wouldn't be an all-the-time bug, just a "hey we were sitting around doing X and all of a sudden the entire room went poof!"

** Tangential edit because I had to figure it out: according to Google a lightyear is ~9,500,000,000,000km (i.e. the distance light can travel in a year). Therefore a lightsecond is ~300,000km or 186,000 miles. So 6,000 miles is 0.03 lightseconds or 30ms. Meaning my baseline lag - in a vacuum, in a world where light travels through wires at the speed of light, and where I have a direct connection from the UL servers to my desktop, I'd still be facing 30ms of lag in one direction. Of course I probably pass through many more miles of wire, and there's lossiness along the way, as well as time for packet switching and passing through routers and... yeah. Anyway. Interesting stuff.
I get this problem also spark said it was on my end and no one else was having the issue so I ordered a new laptop and praying it fixes the issue but mine was good till I left threshold or a house then bam 30 seconds and halfway across a room
Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

getting Really bad storms again, the games dropping and closing too fast for me to even see what the message is let alone get a screen shot of it. Other internet stuff is a bit slow, but not too bad. Can still watch you tube video's and all that uninterupted. I caught the "network" on the error box message the last time it flashed by. I can also tell that its about a full codex in length. Any thoughts, and is this the same sort of thing that Em'et and Jade were reporting a while ago?