Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Items, Who, Arts, You cut off the top of the game

Please list bugs discovered here. BE AS SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE IN DESCRIBING THE ERROR.
Voxaroth
Dreamer

Items, Who, Arts, You cut off the top of the game

Post by Voxaroth »

Not gamebreaking at all, but I thought I'd mention it. Since the new Windows patch, the buttons at the top for "Items, Who, Arts, You" begin cut in half (can only see the tops of them). If I alt tab and then re-enter the game window, they disappear completely and can't be clicked(cut off at the top of the game window).
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Re: Items, Who, Arts, You cut off the top of the game

Post by Koi-Spark »

You're going to need to provide more detail, please. This seems to happen very rarely and only in specific circumstances, so it would be good to know more information to help fix this issue.

What operating system are you on?
What are your display settings?
Do you have any compatibility options enabled (this may need a look in regedit under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers)
Are you using a Virtual Machine or Remote Desktop program of any kind?
Does this happen sometimes? All the time?
Are there specific steps to replicate it every time?
Do you still have this issue after a reboot?
Any other details, including screenshots, would be helpful.
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Game Master, In-Game Support
Voxaroth
Dreamer

Post by Voxaroth »

Koi-Spark wrote:You're going to need to provide more detail, please. This seems to happen very rarely and only in specific circumstances, so it would be good to know more information to help fix this issue.

What operating system are you on?
What are your display settings?
Do you have any compatibility options enabled (this may need a look in regedit under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers)
Are you using a Virtual Machine or Remote Desktop program of any kind?
Does this happen sometimes? All the time?
Are there specific steps to replicate it every time?
Do you still have this issue after a reboot?
Any other details, including screenshots, would be helpful.
1) Windows 8
2) 1920x1080 resolution (I play the game at 1024x768 graphics setting)
3) I'm assuming no because I don't know what that is, but maybe? I couldn't find what anything looking like that.
4) Not using a virtual machine
5) All the time (the alt-tab feature is new, so losing them entirely is new), but the 1/2 cut off has happened since I started playing again.
6) Happens every time, no step required.
7) Issue is consistent w/reboots
8) how do I screenshot in game? I'll happily get you some
FrigginAwesome
Dreamer

Post by FrigginAwesome »

I too am experiencing this bug, on my Win 10 computer; I'll post a screen shot, and my details, a bit later when I'm not in-game. :P
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

Voxaroth wrote:8) how do I screenshot in game? I'll happily get you some
Two ways: Alt+Print Screen, exit the game, paste it into paint and save it. Or, in the long run, it's easier to download a screenshot capture tool, where all you'll have to hit is one button during game play and it'll save into its own screenshots file.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

We will keep reviewing any information you all can provide on this bug. If someone experiencing this issue is capable of checking regedit, please look into HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers and let us know if there are any values assigned to underlight.exe or pmare.exe.

If you don't know what regedit is, you can also right-click on the underlight.exe program (in the c:\Underlight folder, not the shortcut on your desktop) and go to Properties. At the top, click on the Compatibility tab.

Make sure everything on that tab is UNCHECKED. If anything is checked, uncheck it and try running Underlight again.
If you still have issues, first try checking the box next to "Run this program as an administrator"
If you still have issues, check the "Reduced color mode" box and select 16-bit color, then UNCHECK the box again. Yes, this seems silly to do, but other players have reported this solving issues. It appears to reset some flags in the registry that may be causing your issues.

It is NOT recommended that you run Underlight with the 16-bit reduced color mode compatibility checked.

Of course, make sure your video card drivers and DirectX version are up-to-date.

If all else fails, don't forget you can assign the Items, Who, Arts, and You tabs in the Keyboard Configuration screen, so if you can't click on the tabs, you can still access everything you need by pressing keys (I like to use 1,2,3, and 4 on the keyboard for switching tabs). You can find Keyboard Configuration under Options.
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Voxaroth
Dreamer

Post by Voxaroth »

Koi-Spark wrote:We will keep reviewing any information you all can provide on this bug. If someone experiencing this issue is capable of checking regedit, please look into HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers and let us know if there are any values assigned to underlight.exe or pmare.exe.

If you don't know what regedit is, you can also right-click on the underlight.exe program (in the c:\Underlight folder, not the shortcut on your desktop) and go to Properties. At the top, click on the Compatibility tab.

Make sure everything on that tab is UNCHECKED. If anything is checked, uncheck it and try running Underlight again.
If you still have issues, first try checking the box next to "Run this program as an administrator"
If you still have issues, check the "Reduced color mode" box and select 16-bit color, then UNCHECK the box again. Yes, this seems silly to do, but other players have reported this solving issues. It appears to reset some flags in the registry that may be causing your issues.

It is NOT recommended that you run Underlight with the 16-bit reduced color mode compatibility checked.

Of course, make sure your video card drivers and DirectX version are up-to-date.

If all else fails, don't forget you can assign the Items, Who, Arts, and You tabs in the Keyboard Configuration screen, so if you can't click on the tabs, you can still access everything you need by pressing keys (I like to use 1,2,3, and 4 on the keyboard for switching tabs). You can find Keyboard Configuration under Options.
Oh yeah, I already played with them hotkeyed, so it really isn't a problem, I just wanted to report it for the sake of general knowledge. As far as your method of having me check things, I'm pretty amateur. However, if you wanted to call me to walk me through it if it's easy, just send me a PM and I'll give you my contact info.

Thanks!
SnowAngel
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Snow Angel X

Post by SnowAngel »

Cherokee wrote:
Two ways: Alt+Print Screen, exit the game, paste it into paint and save it. Or, in the long run, it's easier to download a screenshot capture tool, where all you'll have to hit is one button during game play and it'll save into its own screenshots file.[/quote]

Is there one you suggest? Please share!
There are times when we stop.. We sit still... We listen and breezes from a whole other world begin to whisper.
James Carroll
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

Before we can get a patch to fix this issue, here's something you can do as a workaround if you're running into this problem.

On your taskbar, right click and go to Properties.
CHECK the box for "Auto-Hide the Taskbar"
Click Apply/OK.

Your taskbar will disappear, but you can bring it up by moving your mouse cursor to the bottom of the screen. The bug appears to be the result of the main Underlight window being drawn to the size needed to make room for the taskbar, so some elements get prematurely bumped up. Auto-hiding the taskbar seems to resolve the issue, but we'll keep looking for a permanent fix on our side.
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

This will be fixed in the next patch, but we haven't set a date yet. Expect an announcement within the next few weeks.
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork