Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Secondary Focus Issue

Please list bugs discovered here. BE AS SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE IN DESCRIBING THE ERROR.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Secondary Focus Issue

Post by Sidas »

Bug: Dreamers with a secondary focus cannot train the Major Arts of their primary focus. It's assumed this issue flops once reaching 9th Sphere and they will be unable to train the secondary focus majors.

Originally we thought it was an issue with just Blade/Flame/Focal art since they were "special" in how they were kept when resetting. However, we learned last night that there are more Majors that cannot be taught, particularly Poison for a Soulmaster.

This has the potential to be a rather big issue with Dreiko and BladeSlayer already reset and Thunderman relatively close.
Sidas
Developer

Re: Secondary Focus Issue

Post by Sidas »

The direction given IC is that characters that take on a second focus are not "multi-focused" and cannot teach the arts of their off-focus. As such, BladeSlayer can no longer task for Soulmaster major arts and Dreiko can no longer task for Dreamseer major arts. This will flip once they reach 9th Sphere.
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

So, to put it in simpler terms.... you can only train the major arts of the focus that your character is currently?
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Koi-Wish
Founder

Post by Koi-Wish »

FYI - The game wasn't designed for player-class characters to ever be multi-focused. There will be issues, but I wouldn't consider them bugs. I like how your addressing these "issues" IC, as there really isn't a need to put effort into coding fixes for this. The whole concept of switching focuses requires an OOC database edit to even begin. The concept of dual focus was a discussion for 9th spheres but was never originally designed as a potential thought in the original development. That being said, we are simply adjusting and adapting as best we can to accommodate the concept at all. Some members of the development team have frowned on the concept from the get go due to "playing" in the database being the only real way to make it happen, and the IC art issues your experiencing now. I would simply continue the IC addressing of things, and members of the Team will do their best to accommodate any issues that may result.

---- goes back to hiding under a rock
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

IC Solution Suggestion: let an elder or even regular teacher honour quests for those arts affected by the Dual Focus characters (probably with a completion codex from the original teacher. Basically, treat it like an apprentice train but with a dreamwide mentor :) )
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Sidas
Developer

Post by Sidas »

Koi-Wish wrote:FYI - The game wasn't designed for player-class characters to ever be multi-focused. There will be issues, but I wouldn't consider them bugs. I like how your addressing these "issues" IC, as there really isn't a need to put effort into coding fixes for this. The whole concept of switching focuses requires an OOC database edit to even begin. The concept of dual focus was a discussion for 9th spheres but was never originally designed as a potential thought in the original development. That being said, we are simply adjusting and adapting as best we can to accommodate the concept at all. Some members of the development team have frowned on the concept from the get go due to "playing" in the database being the only real way to make it happen, and the IC art issues your experiencing now. I would simply continue the IC addressing of things, and members of the Team will do their best to accommodate any issues that may result.
It's true that it's not a "bug." I'd reference it more as a "defect" or an "oops." It certainly doesn't require a fix, but at the same time, it is such a small modification that I don't see why it wouldn't be included at some point.

I think the short term solution of allowing the secondary focus dreamers to still task for their previous focus and having a completion codex redeemed to anyone who could honor it is the best option. The current "solution" that they can only be reported to a GMMT with both dreamers present seems a little silly since the Teachers involved are still Teachers with their Train at an acceptable level.
Koi-JorKyrin
System Administrator

Post by Koi-JorKyrin »

Sidas wrote:
Koi-Wish wrote:FYI - The game wasn't designed for player-class characters to ever be multi-focused. There will be issues, but I wouldn't consider them bugs. I like how your addressing these "issues" IC, as there really isn't a need to put effort into coding fixes for this. The whole concept of switching focuses requires an OOC database edit to even begin. The concept of dual focus was a discussion for 9th spheres but was never originally designed as a potential thought in the original development. That being said, we are simply adjusting and adapting as best we can to accommodate the concept at all. Some members of the development team have frowned on the concept from the get go due to "playing" in the database being the only real way to make it happen, and the IC art issues your experiencing now. I would simply continue the IC addressing of things, and members of the Team will do their best to accommodate any issues that may result.
It's true that it's not a "bug." I'd reference it more as a "defect" or an "oops." It certainly doesn't require a fix, but at the same time, it is such a small modification that I don't see why it wouldn't be included at some point.

I think the short term solution of allowing the secondary focus dreamers to still task for their previous focus and having a completion codex redeemed to anyone who could honor it is the best option. The current "solution" that they can only be reported to a GMMT with both dreamers present seems a little silly since the Teachers involved are still Teachers with their Train at an acceptable level.
Just an update, I'll be adding a dev ticket for this to be addressed in the future. Once the new account system is completed, and the Win10 compat issue is resolved, I hope to re-visit this.

Regards,
Koi - Jor'Kyrin
System Administrator
KoiWare, LLC