Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Random Crashes

Please list bugs discovered here. BE AS SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE IN DESCRIBING THE ERROR.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Random Crashes

Post by Cherokee »

My client has been crashing the last two days I've attempted to play, showing the usual "P-Lyra has stopped working": http://i.imgur.com/hGNQnhh.png

So far they appear to happen at random and in different rooms. I started crashing over and over with the few seconds after logging in, then it started after several minutes in or more. Each time I was alone. I'm running Windows 7, if that helps any. I'm not sure what's causing it or if anyone else is experiencing this problem?
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Re: Random Crashes

Post by Arnaya »

Not that specific one, the one I get a lot is "has experienced difficulties connecting to network".... only there's no network problems on my end with anything else. Another one I've seen come up quite a bit is an "ISP Error" message, but again.... no network or connection problems with anything else on my end, and all diagnostic tools check out.

I'm using a Virtual Box with Windows XP Professional on an Ubunto core OS. I keep forgetting to grab a screen shot of the messages, I'll try to remember next time it happens though. Take heart, yours isn't the only picture on the wall of crashes Jade ;)
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Kaihan
Dreamer

Post by Kaihan »

Have you made any changes to your system in the past few days like updates or maybe a power failure?

Two things to try off-the-top of my head:
1) Defrag
2) Download and re-install the client

Hope this helps!

-Christopher
Cianne
Dreamer

Post by Cianne »

This happens to me quite a bit too actually. I usually make it to the thresh/house entrances in the courtyard then get kicked out, or just inside the portal, then I am usually also "ghosted" for a good 5-10 minutes.

I assumed it is just an intermittently bad network connection on my side.
~Practice patience and silent reflection in a moment of anger ~ It will save you infinite moments of regret~
Cherokee
Dreamer

Post by Cherokee »

I never crash, so this is new. It also doesn't ghost me, as I'm able to log back in immediately afterward. However, the crashes are so frequent that it's making me unable to play.

Kaihan wrote:Have you made any changes to your system in the past few days like updates or maybe a power failure?

Two things to try off-the-top of my head:
1) Defrag
2) Download and re-install the client

Hope this helps!

-Christopher
No, I haven't had any system changes or power failure. Thank you for the suggestion. I tried both, but it didn't work.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Cherokee
Dreamer

Post by Cherokee »

So far I've ran disk cleanup, defrag, installed updates, reinstalled the client, and power cycled my internet. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

Maybe your firewall exceptions list? I'm not a computer person, but I've had that problem with other programs before. Remove UL and Add it back on to the exceptions list maybe?
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Cherokee
Dreamer

Post by Cherokee »

Nope! :/ Looks like I won't be playing.

Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

NOOOOO!!!!! Jade can't go poof, she just can't. Have you tried running a virtual box with an older version of Windows?
Butterfly
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arlyana Jax

Post by Butterfly »

What Arnaya said. We need Jade!
Arlyana Jax Shaw
Sovereign of Stuffing
Amanuensis of Academia
Eternal Calenturian

Uthanatos: I don't know what you are talking about, that's not a woman, it's an AJ
Cherokee
Dreamer

Post by Cherokee »

Thanks, guys. :) No I haven't tried that, but the oldest Windows I have is 7, and that's what I have on there.

Arnaya
Dreamer

Post by Arnaya »

Hmm.... how about binding the port thing on the launcher? That helped me out for a little bit when I was getting a lot of storms. Or.... get a hold of a used copy of Windows XP or something (I'd personally suggest avoiding Vista, I've never had any luck with that OS) lol
Cherokee
Dreamer

Post by Cherokee »

I think I have an XP disk buried somewhere, but tonight I haven't crashed once! Fingers crossed it stays that way. :mrgreen:

Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

Have you had any more issues with the crashes you were experiencing?
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Game Master, In-Game Support
Cherokee
Dreamer

Post by Cherokee »

No, thankfully. It stopped after about a few weeks, though I know Em'et was having the same thing happen to him awhile back. Not sure if he found a way to fix the issue.

FrigginAwesome
Dreamer

Post by FrigginAwesome »

Didn't find a fix, it just kinda... stopped. No idea what the issue was, but I'm pretty sure it was related to my computer; my desktop was the only device on which Underlight crashed. My laptop had no issues.

Now that my laptop's dead... Well, I'll just hope my desktop doesn't pick up the habit again. :)
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

These are always the worst, when crashes seem to happen sporadically with no direct cause. Let us know if it happens again, along with any other details you can provide.
The fact it was crashing within a few seconds of logging in, then it might take a few minutes after logging in, that rules out a lot of known issues I would suspect.

Hopefully your computer just got a bad case of the nopes and it has returned to normal.
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
FrigginAwesome
Dreamer

Post by FrigginAwesome »

The fact that I wrote about the 'random crahses' today, and said that they had gone, seems to have triggered them to come back, I'm hoping without a vengence.

I've just crashed twice in quick succession, same story. No error report, no nothing.

EDIT: I cannot wait for this new patch; I can use my brother's desktop to play most of the time, and he runs Windows 10, so I won't have the random crashing issue, most likely.
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

Can you provide any more detail on when the crash occurs? Are you in the Courtyard? Threshold? Are you moving, are you talking, are you evoking arts? Or is it happening when you're just standing completely still? Maybe when another dreamer enters the room? There really isn't much we can do to find the root cause when all we have to go on is "random crash" because crashes are very rarely random.

Do the crashes still happen after you restart your computer, or maybe just better for a longer time after rebooting? Again, any information would be helpful.
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
FrigginAwesome
Dreamer

Post by FrigginAwesome »

I can provide more detail, certainly; the crashes occur in all of those scenarios. They occur in the Courtyard, in Threshold, anywhere in the game, really. They happen shortly after I talk, evoke an art, take a step, but also sometimes even if I'm doing nothing at all (though crashes when I'm doing nothing are less common, probably by virtue of the fact that I'm almost always doing something). They occur by many random circumstances; I've had it once occur while changing the colors of my character's outfit.

There are, unfortunately, few things consistent about the crashes that I've been able to determine.

When the first one happens, and I relog into Underlight, the following session is more likely to crash sooner. That's something I've noticed. I've crashed from the Sanctuary in Chasm of Souls, and then crashed five or six separate times trying only to walk from Threshold BACK to the Chasm -- usually never making it as far as the Chasm itself. If I relog in quickly after a crash, the following crash seems to come sooner, often before I can even exit the Courtyard into Threshold, but not always.

Restarting my computer does not seem to affect the frequency of the crashes, from what I've been able to determine.

There is no error message (from the game client), and the game doesn't appear to "freeze up" when the crashes occur; it's a nearly instantaneous transition from Game UI, to black screen, to Desktop with the Windows error "P-Lyra has stopped working..."
Cherokee
Dreamer

Post by Cherokee »

That's exactly what was happening to me, which is why I called them random crashes. There didn't really seem to be a trigger. They just happened at all those different circumstances. Mine also went away suddenly without anything of my doing to stop them.