Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Ye Olde DDERR Error caused by extended desktop

Please list bugs discovered here. BE AS SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE IN DESCRIBING THE ERROR.
alexheartnet
Dreamer

Ye Olde DDERR Error caused by extended desktop

Post by alexheartnet »

I can only guess that the DDERR_UNSUPPORTED error is infamously well-known by now.

Apparently having a desktop extended across multiple monitors with different screen resolutions is one cause. The game looks at this strange image resolution that is two different sizes at once and says "This resolution makes no sense so I am going to toss out an error message instead".

When I tell my desktop to display the same thing on both monitors, then the game works. Unfortunately, it means that I can't watch youtubez videos while playing or anything like that :(
alexheartnet
Dreamer

Re: Ye Olde DDERR Error caused by extended desktop

Post by alexheartnet »

Virtual...machine? Blah that will...take a while to figure out not worth it thanks but no thanks
alexheartnet
Dreamer

Post by alexheartnet »

While I know you are just trying to be helpful, I fail to see why I should be provided a link to something easily found with an internet search. It's like giving a man a fish rater then teaching him how to.

Regardless, this does not address the original problem, merely provides a workaround. Although to be fair, do the admins even have access enough to the source code to make these sort of changes?

I gave up on the virtual machine anyway at the point where it asks for a OS installation disc that I do not have on hand. It was an interesting experience, but it's more trouble then it is worth for me.
Shoury
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Shoury

Post by Shoury »

I gave up on the virtual machine anyway at the point where it asks for a OS installation disc that I do not have on hand. It was an interesting experience, but it's more trouble then it is worth for me.
Send me a PM and I'll assist you, young one.
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

alexheartnet wrote: Regardless, this does not address the original problem, merely provides a workaround. Although to be fair, do the admins even have access enough to the source code to make these sort of changes?
We have access to the code, but it's not exactly as simple as flipping a switch. "Enable Windowed Mode? Yes, please!" There's a lot of code surrounding the interface and it's all based on Windows from 15 years ago. Given the time, we do plan to make improvements like (potentially) a windowed mode, but it involves a big investment of time to essentially rewrite a lot of code to support Windows 7 and later.

Given that the client currently requires full-screen exclusive mode, it simply won't support multiple displays.

With Windows 10 coming out, we suspect it will play as nicely with Underlight as Windows 8 currently does, which is not very nicely at all. We hope to get the display issues worked out sometime soon, but no estimated date yet.
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Game Master, In-Game Support