Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Underlight Server Replacement Fund

Koi-JorKyrin
System Administrator

Underlight Server Replacement Fund

Post by Koi-JorKyrin »

Hello folks!

It has been 4 years since the re-release of Underlight and I cannot believe we made it this far! Believe it or not, we are still running on the same donated two hosts that we originally started with in beta! It is time to upgrade and down-size the foot print at the same time. The issue now is our hardware is old, power hungry and beginning to reach the failure years. To keep Underlight going and keep it free, we are looking to the Underlight community's assistance to raise enough money to purchase a new server. There are three points that come from the host replacement. As you know, we are allotted co-lo space (and Internet) for free via Kinetic IT Solutions. Upgrading will free up more space in their server racks to sell to their customers, and in the process, we upgrade the server to newer hardware. Moreover, it is a win-win-win for the Underlight community, Kinetic IT, and KoiWare to keep Underlight running well into the future.

If you can help out, please take the time to donate to the server replacement fund. Without you all, this wouldn't be possible.

Any funding not used or money raised past $1200.00 will be sent to Brent Phillips, the owner of Underlight.

(Click here to Donate)
https://www.gofundme.com/underlight-server-fund

KoiWare: Systems Administrator
-Jor'Kyrin

Ideal Generic Server Specifications:

-2x Dell R610 (1U) 2x 6-core 3.06Ghz X5675 rack mount server with at least 64GB of RAM, (6x 300GB SAS 10k drives in RAID 6)

(or)

-1x Dell R710 (2U) 2x 6-core 3.06Ghz X5675 rack mount server with at least 128GB of RAM, (8x 300GB SAS 10k drives in RAID 6)

(Specs could change slighty depending on what is available to KoiWare at time of purchase)
Koi - Jor'Kyrin
System Administrator
KoiWare, LLC
Koi-JorKyrin
System Administrator

Re: Underlight Server Replacement Fund

Post by Koi-JorKyrin »

Good morning all!

This morning I woke up to check the fund and my jaw dropped :o to the floor! In as little as 24 hours, we reached our goal!! --- To the wonderful dreamers who donated, I personally as well as the KoiWare team, and the Underlight community, send our many Thank Yous! Underlight will continue to operate well into the future on updated hardware thanks to you!

At this point, no further funding is needed, however if you would like to throw Brent Phillips some love, this is encouraged! I'll leave the donation page up a bit longer for this purpose.

<3 <3 <3
Koi - Jor'Kyrin
System Administrator
KoiWare, LLC
Koi-JorKyrin
System Administrator

Post by Koi-JorKyrin »

Update: Server funding goal of $1200.00 is complete thanks to those who donated! I am still in the process of securing two servers for purchase through Kinetic IT. Once the ball is rolling on this, I will update with specs and pictures. ---- On a side note: To show appreciation to the owner of Underlight, Brent Phillips, we are raising the goal from $1200.00 to $1400.00. This additional $200.00 is only for Brent Phillips and will not go towards the server funding. If you missed out on being able to donate before, here is your chance!
Koi - Jor'Kyrin
System Administrator
KoiWare, LLC
Koi-JorKyrin
System Administrator

Post by Koi-JorKyrin »

Small Update: KoiWare has secured 1x Dell R610 (specs: 2x six core 2.6GHz processors, 48GB RAM, 6x 600GB SAS 10k drives, +1 extra replacement drive should one fail.) --- I will have more details on the second server once it becomes available.
Koi - Jor'Kyrin
System Administrator
KoiWare, LLC
Koi-JorKyrin
System Administrator

Post by Koi-JorKyrin »

Update: Final server specs: 1x Dell R610: Specs: 2x six core 2.6GHz processors, 96GB RAM, 6x 600GB SAS 10k drives. +2 extra replacement drives and +2 Redundant Power Supplies, should any of them fail. --- To lessen the footprint on the Kinetic side, we are going the route of one host with added memory for future expansion, and to make up for not having a second host. So far we are at about $900.00 spent. --- The goal is to have the current environment migrated from the old to the new by the beginning of March 2018. --- Next update will include information on migration status, as well as the final total server cost. If there is left over funding, as per the GoFundMe original post, it will go to Brent Phillips. --- It is a beautiful thing to see so many people in the UL Community wanting to keep the torch lit and moving!

Thank you.
Koi - Jor'Kyrin
System Administrator
KoiWare, LLC
Koi-JorKyrin
System Administrator

Post by Koi-JorKyrin »

Update (3/15/2018 @ 6:06pm ET): The new host is setup and running and all VMs have been successfully migrated! Thank you to all who donated!! A special thanks to the Kinetic Team as well for the server space and their time! This project is completed! :)

The Final Server Spec:

Dell R610 2x 2.6GHz Six Core Processsor, 96GB of RAM, 6x 900GB SAS 10k hard drives (3.2TB RAID6) + Perc 6/i Raid Controller Card (Was not present with host on purchase: Needed for RAID6) + New Raid controller Battery for Write Back ability + iDRAC card + 2x Extra Power Supplies + 2x 32GB USB Thumbdrives (one for ESXi OS, and one as a backup spare)

On another note, the timing could not have been better. You'll notice the amber light on one of the older hosts. One of its hard drives had failed in a RAID5 array.

All additional funding exceeding $1200.00 has been donated to Brent Phillips.

-JorK

Koi - Jor'Kyrin
System Administrator
KoiWare, LLC
Koi-JorKyrin
System Administrator

Post by Koi-JorKyrin »

bump, updated previous post.
Koi - Jor'Kyrin
System Administrator
KoiWare, LLC