Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Bind Art

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Bind Art

Post by Sidas »

I wanted to pull this out of the Nexus discussion since it's a complete segue.
We are in the process IC in creating a temporary bind art, you use it or you don't. Whats more valued... that 60 or your nexus? I thought certain RPs are in working mode at the moment IC to determine if it will bind or not when the container ( Nexus is created) Everything in game has consequences, you don't bind it, your loss if you collapse and it does.
So, in short, I hate this idea. We already have items that can't drop (House IDs). These make sense to not drop. Being able to protect something from dropping is very dangerous with game balance in mind.

I hope this is just a "concept" roleplay that will never come to fruition, and if so, sorry for making a post about it!
Dina

Re: Bind Art

Post by Dina »

Agreed. I stated that I think only GMs should have this ability, not the dreamers.
Tobyz Friend
Dreamer

Post by Tobyz Friend »

Why do you think a player shouldn't have the ability to select a single item and make it bound to them?
The nicest smiles often hide the darkest demons.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

Why should they? What benefit does it add to the game as a whole?

Does the art allow me to bind a prime artifact?
What about if I acquire Ghazgkull's amulet and just bind it everytime I login?

Currently the only way for an item to be completely safe is for you to not collapse. This allows for a lot of potential in regards to stealing and retrieval roleplays, not to mention the aforementioned amulet question.
Roleplayer
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Liolira

Post by Roleplayer »

The item would bound temporarily that being a amulet or any other normal game item, can not be the house primes or major primes in rps that require extra security like the rulers area. Its a choice art, you either take the risk of not binding your nexus, or you bind it. Its up to the player to remember to reapply it too, the art comes with risk.
"Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes." - Carl Jung
Kage
Dreamer

Post by Kage »

Sounds like if this was actually implemented that it would make sense as an effect that can be abjured. That would make it so that you could still disrupt the binding.

That being said, I think the most common usage of it would then be as another effect in the standard abjure buffer... conspiracy!
Krodoc
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Krodoc

Post by Krodoc »

So is it just one item, or can you bind multiple items?
Clarity
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Clarity

Post by Clarity »

The general concept, from what I've gathered from the ongoing rp, is that you chose one item. It is bound temporarily (Duration depending on your plateau) to your character until the duration wears off. It's supposed to work in conjuncture with the whole nexus talisman thing, rather then just making them bound to the player. That then leaves them open to being dropped like any other item, should the player forget to cast bind, it wears off, possibly it's abjured if it goes into the list of things that can be abjured, and/or the player binds something else instead (like a sentimental item or a chakram or something).

Prime artifacts wouldn't be able to be bound, as they're prime and drop instantly on collapse or waking anyway.

*shrugs* I have no issue with it personally, but I can see where Sidas' is coming from.
So it’s gonna be forever, and I will stay up through the night. You can tell me when it’s over, and let’s be clear, won’t close my eyes. @-;-