Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

XP gain and spheres

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.
Gerroz
Dreamer

XP gain and spheres

Post by Gerroz »

So, these things have seen some dramatic changes.

most noticeably:

-No requirements for arts or anything else for spheres other than xp.
-XP gains have quadrupled from shams and horrons
-bundle tasks and low requirements up to 4th sphere.

I have done some testing of gains on XP after the change, and let me tell you: I am able to gain 200.000 XP per hour soloing mares. A method able to be used by any focus, without invisibility or any type of aid from any other players. This means that a 6th sphere dreamer can go from flat orbit 60 to maxed 69 in 25 game hours. With no restrictions on spheres, we could be seeing characters that move up to very high spheres and only care about moving their chakram slinging art with them. Something they could accomplish by just standing by themselves and not even involve anyone else Is that what we want for Underlight?

Don't get me wrong, I loved the change of early advancement. I think it was imperative to the game's survival. This doesn't help much though if we at the same time allow the seasoned players to gain XP this fast and move up spheres with no requirements. The gap upwards will be just as huge as it was, maybe even higher, and the problem persists.

my opinion; you guys meant well, but you overdid it

Keep in mind that this comes from the guy with the most to gain from this change. The huge xp boost and removal of needing 9 arts at 80 opens up the path on for me immensely.I say this for what I think is right for the game. Keep the low sphere change, allow them to catch up, revert the upper sphere change
Tobyz Friend
Dreamer

Re: XP gain and spheres

Post by Tobyz Friend »

How in the world are you solo'ing Sham's or Horrons without invis?
The nicest smiles often hide the darkest demons.
Dina

Post by Dina »

I don't think anything should be changed. I like how it is right now!
Gerroz
Dreamer

Post by Gerroz »

I expected that few would be opposed to this, because everyone's like "omg I can advance so fast now!!!"

Advancement in XP was more than fast enough as it was, even at the highest spheres. Shouldnt be able to max 7th sphere in 2 weeks which will be the case now. Even 8th is childs play. What do we do then when half the game is 9th sphere within a year and bored? And every new player we gain comes in like "yeah this is hopeless".
Gerroz
Dreamer

Post by Gerroz »

That's not the case. This is more likely to propel me further ahead actually.
Ghazgkull
Dreamer

Post by Ghazgkull »

The only problem I have is that since the XP was bumped, I see a bunch of people out farming using AI exploits. I'm all for the bump, but it should be an increased reward for increased risk.

If you're doing something that makes shams/horrons easier than agos, you're doing something wrong. And you should stop it. It *is* possible to actually fight shams and horrons with a party without doing anything cheap. If people do that, then the increased reward seems reasonable to me.

- Jared
Gerroz
Dreamer

Post by Gerroz »

Except that is not going to happen. If some do it, the rest will, to keep up. It's just how it is with all things, non-UL related as well.

I liked the dark mare change, but even that was a bit overdone. A few have told me they have gained 1 mill xp in one single night from DMs.

Mission boards used to be a big pull for houses. Now I doubt many will care to even do any missions when they can gainb10 times that bin the same timeframe by hunting.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

Ghazgkull wrote:The only problem I have is that since the XP was bumped, I see a bunch of people out farming using AI exploits. I'm all for the bump, but it should be an increased reward for increased risk.

If you're doing something that makes shams/horrons easier than agos, you're doing something wrong. And you should stop it. It *is* possible to actually fight shams and horrons with a party without doing anything cheap. If people do that, then the increased reward seems reasonable to me.

- Jared
This happened BEFORE the change too. It's happened since the beginning of UL.

I think the changes are good. One easy way to reduce solo farming is to move the mares that can be done that way to another spot that disallows it. I'm not a fan of solo hunting just because of the boredom but I also agree with Eros that the "highest sphered" people complaining about it just comes off as "OMG PEOPLE ARE GONNA CATCH UP, PLS STOP IT."
Ghazgkull
Dreamer

Post by Ghazgkull »

I'm with Gerroz. I felt like the XP boost helps the 7th and 8th sphere players the most. The biggest hurdle to 7th sphere isn't the XP.

- Jared
Gerroz
Dreamer

Post by Gerroz »

Jared Said it. The ones already up in spheres have high forges and arts, which helps boost gains immensely. I can gain hundreds of thousands of xp with this in a day and get even more ahead than I was. while the lower spheres have to struggle and can hardly even benefit from the change.

I actually have the game's best interest at heart in this. Disbelieve that all you like, keep the change, and watch me get even further ahead.
Dakkoth
Keepers of the Eternal Shadow

Post by Dakkoth »

I think it's a lack of creativity on all your behalf to state such things that the lower sphered dreamers cannot benefit from it....because they can.

We've found that, through use of Peace Aura, one can bait a Horron while another (dreamseer invis'd preferably) can take them down. but consider that it uses a PT and a certain set of highly plateau'd skills to accomplish this. We can also have others in party of any sphere who can provide us with protection or restore as needed and also benefit from the massively shared xp. Before it was consuming far too much to collapse a Horron for minimal benefit. Now I do feel the risk is worth the reward and those of us with characters of higher skills should be able to defeat them. And it is not so easy as an agoknight that I can solo with 4 -5 strikes of my blade. Even the Shamblix in Lower OoD takes nearly an entire drain of elemental focus to flame down (if not more).

So in short, I'm all for these changes. They are seemingly adding more dynamic and team based strategy and hunting parties are back again!

And as Jared said, those like Thunderman and Ghazgkull have come up with ways to ping pong the horrons in alternating flames while keeping themselves coherent or having soulmasters restore them up. So it's not entirely impossible to defeat these horrons and shamblix without DreamSeers and invisibility. To think such is just a lack of creativity and effort.

So kudus to the experience gain change. It's great. And might I add that those who wish to spend months and months just hunting are missing out on a VERY large and fun part of the game...it's called Roleplaying. The last 3 evenings I haven't even been able to hunt but for an hour at best collectively. There's been so much awesome and rich RP content that has kept us all intrigued for hours and hours each of the last three nights. KEEP IT GOING! this is what makes the game fun, afterall.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

~Mike
Gerroz
Dreamer

Post by Gerroz »

You think it is fair that only one of the houses has an art allowing them to hunt the strongest mares? A house art which is already OP to begin with?

PTs is not an issue really. a Single soul master can with some good effort fuel 100 power tokens a day through Trap Nightmare
Dina

Post by Dina »

Gerroz wrote:PTs is not an issue really. a Single soul master can with some good effort fuel 100 power tokens a day through Trap Nightmare

Yes we know =X So when an SM that traps asks for alts, she wants them! :P

Silly Seers....
Krodoc
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Krodoc

Post by Krodoc »

There's really no good to way to argue this. You either want to spend more time hunting than roleplaying, or more time roleplaying than hunting. Genning is boring, hunting is boring, and hunting in groups slows you down because you're getting less than if you just did it yourself. Anything to remove that burden is a plus in my book. You can hunt the two shams in LC with a lower character in party and max them quickly. We're already streamlining their advancement with teaching. All spheres benefit from increased XP gain. What's wrong with making things less tedious?
Dakkoth
Keepers of the Eternal Shadow

Post by Dakkoth »

Gerroz wrote:You think it is fair that only one of the houses has an art allowing them to hunt the strongest mares? A house art which is already OP to begin with?

PTs is not an issue really. a Single soul master can with some good effort fuel 100 power tokens a day through Trap Nightmare
We can still hunt them without the art, as I stated before. It's possible to ping pong them with flames and great item consumption or soulmasters on the sides giving restore. The use of Peace Aura makes it much easier. I do agree it has a massively huge effect. and yet we struggle to keep members. go figure. I'm seriously baffled at how many are disinterested in AoE with all the possibilities. But keeping this conversation on track, you don't need Peace Aura. It's possible to hunt them in groups. and Seers with Invis have ALWAYS had the advantage of hunting shams and horrons solo for years and years, giving them the biggest advantage of all. So why start crying now?

Recently there's been some nightmare removals. I only assume this is to stop the AI exploits. I'm in favor and like it already. Especially Koi-Legend's post about not using climbing or other exploits for Hunting and battling. If you aren't strong enough to battle shamblix's and horrons in a non exploitive way, then join a group who can assist or stick to agoknights and mission boards and work on spheres. I think it makes sense that as you sphere and require more experience, you then should be capable of tackling the next species of nightmares. So I would gather that 6th spheres and up should be able to battle Shamblix and Horrons in unexploitive ways....and we can.

And while AoE stands, I'll be using Peace Aura and bring others hunting with me. Using an in game mechanic. Jealous? come join AoE. :)

~Mike