Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

OOC: So what are we doing?

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.
Raas
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Ra'as

OOC: So what are we doing?

Post by Raas »

Hey fam,

1) Was the dreamstrike a termination?

2) If so, what was the offense(s)? If not, why not just say so?

3) Should we expect every character death to be done with less time and effort than a Push task?

4) Was the RP team involved in this decision? Did they agree with this? Why or why not?

5) Why not allow the warring parties some control over Dreamstrike rather than using Brian's Deus Ex Machina villain?

6) Was the character's controller involved in the decision?

7) I've got 200+ hours in game since Jan 1. Others I play with are 300-400 hour fanatics. For their sake and mine, I try to treat the game like a long campaign of D&D and try to put a lot of engaging content into the game as a result. I expect my character may die at some point - But if it's a possibility that he's just going to get swatted like a punk if Brian has a bad day, I'd like to know that.

8) If you have policies in place which prevent the answering of these questions - Can we get rid of those policies, because they are dumb and detrimental to the community?

I understand the desire to preserve IC magic, but these aren't IC questions. These are OOC policy questions that I'd like to see addressed in a coherent way, to preserve the two-way trust this game requires. It's entirely appropriate for the GM's to explain the situation when players are actively confused about the premise of the removal of a very influential character, and suspicious of the intent. Brian - Ultimately it's your sandbox, but we're here playing with you, and we deserve to know what game we are playing.

Thanks,
Chris
~Ra'as
Trisha Pawm
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Trisha Pawm

Re: OOC: So what are we doing?

Post by Trisha Pawm »

I have to parrot everything Ra'as says here. In this specific instance we need to know what happened. Whether this was a termination for violating game rules/bylaws or whether it was an IC situtation and if it was an IC situtation. Everything that Ra'as mentioned above needs some kind of addressing.
Cuero
Dreamer

Post by Cuero »

Parroted +1, minus the Brian power abuse tone.

And I don't think IC deaths need OOC justification, I can barely think of another occurence when the community is actively going "wtf?" Which begs for some response.

I assume someone on the RP team gave this the go ahead and Brian's character was the easiest implementation.

I think, to echo what Raas said, and my own thoughts... I think it definitely could have had far more build up that was public knowledge. Maybe Bortami and Co have been cooking this up for weeks, but to the outside it looks like a striker who swore off striking (we knew it wouldn't last, btw) finally just chose someone.

Harkyn was a pretty opportunistic character, but wasn't entirely bad. No less radically aggressive than early Sectarian dreamers.

I just think if my 10 years of work and fun is going to die, it would happen way, way more epicly than that.

And not a great room, btw. Most out of range for the "has been struck by..." emote, and no soul essence dropped (is that new?) Or it was instantly picked up via GM command... Which would have gotten his other talisman.

Just poorly executed and didn't really give a proper close to such an old character.
~Cuero/Sevlen
Koi-Drama
Founder

Post by Koi-Drama »

Raas wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:17 am1) Was the dreamstrike a termination?
No. The events in question was a result of in-character development and progression.

Raas wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:17 am2) If so, what was the offense(s)? If not, why not just say so?
No. We would not handle an Out Of Character matter via In Character implementation and execution.

Raas wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:17 am3) Should we expect every character death to be done with less time and effort than a Push task?
No.

Raas wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:17 am4) Was the RP team involved in this decision? Did they agree with this? Why or why not?
Yes. All parties involved were consulted and agreed unanimously to move forward in-game.

Raas wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:17 am5) Why not allow the warring parties some control over Dreamstrike rather than using Brian's Deus Ex Machina villain?
We are discussing alternative methods of DreamStrike. Stay tuned.

Raas wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:17 am6) Was the character's controller involved in the decision?
Yes. As I stated previously above, all parties involved were consulted.

Raas wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:17 am7) I've got 200+ hours in game since Jan 1. Others I play with are 300-400 hour fanatics. For their sake and mine, I try to treat the game like a long campaign of D&D and try to put a lot of engaging content into the game as a result. I expect my character may die at some point - But if it's a possibility that he's just going to get swatted like a punk if Brian has a bad day, I'd like to know that.
Absolutely not.

Raas wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:17 am8) If you have policies in place which prevent the answering of these questions - Can we get rid of those policies, because they are dumb and detrimental to the community?
We will continue to uphold the privacy of our players, including but not limited to, private messages, emails, and any other form of communication, entrusted to us by members of our community. Therefore, it will remain our policy to respect our players just as we expect players to respect each other. We seek to lead by example. Moreover, policies involving Rules Enforcement will be upheld although it should be noted that no disciplinary policies are active in this matter in the absence of behavior to warrant such responses.

Raas wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:17 amI understand the desire to preserve IC magic, but these aren't IC questions. These are OOC policy questions that I'd like to see addressed in a coherent way, to preserve the two-way trust this game requires. It's entirely appropriate for the GM's to explain the situation when players are actively confused about the premise of the removal of a very influential character, and suspicious of the intent. Brian - Ultimately it's your sandbox, but we're here playing with you, and we deserve to know what game we are playing.

Thanks,
Chris
There has been a lot of positive and negative feedback as a result of the events that transpired recently. In most cases where player terminations have occurred, we have made some kind of announcement or address to the community in general format. I mentioned above that the event in question was discussed and coordinated as a group as a result of recent events. I would ask you to understand that I am not going into details in order to respect the controller's privacy.

I would like to remind the community that we are playing a roleplaying enforced game and we hope that the community continues to explore tonight's events in relation with many others in the game itself. Let's try to have fun and enjoy the sandbox together.
“I try to bring the audience's own drama, tears and laughter they know about, to them.”
Raas
Dreamer

Post by Raas »

Great, best response I could have hoped for. 10/10
~Ra'as
Lu Chaos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Lu Chaos

Post by Lu Chaos »

Kind of ruins the game when GMs have to explain this... Its been public knowledge for years now that all characters who are struck are notified beforehand. RPs have been set in place for a striking. Lets not run to forums and OOC flame GMs anymore who are pushing the game to better rps. If you were Eldryck and a guy came to your house warding your portals on a special day for your housemates.. Youd probably kill them too.. Brian did a good job and so did Harkyn.
Raas
Dreamer

Post by Raas »

Harkyn wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:14 am CONSULTED MY ASS. I wouldn't even call what that was a "warning".
This doesn't inspire confidence in the previous responses...
~Ra'as
Tentacle
Dreamer

Post by Tentacle »

Lu, please. I have to call you out buddy.

You sat at the centre and still remain close to one of the largest conspiracy theory hives and "they're out to get us" movements. C'mon.

If we're going to be transparent, be transparent. If we're going to believe "they're out to get us." stick with that. Suddenly white knighting because someone you don't like is the victim, this time, is poor form at best.

At some point we need to collectively decide we're going to stop allowing ourselves to get shit on, via "roleplay'", and just turn around and call it an exfoliating mud mask. A real friend, let's a friend know when something isn't right. It isn't friendship if you let them keep doing unhealthy things just because it benefits or entertains you.

Godmode toons, GM or otherwise. Aren't fun to deal with. It's not fun to have one house to become a GM house. It's not fun to have even the HINT of one faction or group of players being made untouchable. In a twisted way, the SAME reason Harkyn was hated IC and OOC are now being flipped and used to lift someone up.

This is messy.
"She spins her golden web between us and the dream." - The Matron ☼, Soulkeeper
Lu Chaos
Dreamer

Post by Lu Chaos »

Harkyns end was roleplayed. Whiteknighting? Im being honest. Nothing wrong happened. Eldryck is a killer and he was provoked. He got killed. Blame Harkyn not bad GMing. This posts actually should be deleted. Zaxun aka Harkyn tried his best to strike me when he controlled Zaxun. Guess what i did? Dreamwoke. Lu woke up to avoid death. Literally use to try to kill me all the time. And it would've been roleplayed. Stop with this useless topic.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

For once, and you can all mark this on your calendars, I agree with Matt. It was established when the character was introduced that he was willing and able to dreamstrike. His motives have been long established to those who have interacted with the character in any depth. Recall was made unabjurable. Eldryck is not invincible, the few times he was were driven by story and displayed a weakness in him as a villian at the time. Brian has had Eldryck go out of his way to use alternate expression over and over again, avoiding the use of dreamstrike on players. It was used on several GM NPC's and a Darkmare, which should indicate to the players at large that it is STILL a risk. Every one of us who took the field against Zaxun knew the risks when we did it and that was before recall could not be abjured. Provoking a dreamstriker IS a risk. Recall, battlewake, it's all valid. If you get struck, interacting in a hostile fashion with someone known to be capable of dreamstrike and willing to use it, it really is your own fault at this point. Had Harkyn been trancing and teleported somewhere, then collapsed and struck, I would call foul, but in this instance, the player and character should both have been aware of the risks going in. That is all.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
PKChrisChan
Keepers of the Eternal Shadow
Character Name(s): Nathan

Post by PKChrisChan »

Uthanatos wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:41 pm For once, and you can all mark this on your calendars, I agree with Matt.

Done!
Dakkoth

Post by Dakkoth »

PKChrisChan wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:38 am
Uthanatos wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:41 pm For once, and you can all mark this on your calendars, I agree with Matt.

Done!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Dina

Post by Dina »

Tentacle wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:47 pm Lu, please. I have to call you out buddy.

You sat at the centre and still remain close to one of the largest conspiracy theory hives and "they're out to get us" movements. C'mon.

If we're going to be transparent, be transparent. If we're going to believe "they're out to get us." stick with that. Suddenly white knighting because someone you don't like is the victim, this time, is poor form at best.

At some point we need to collectively decide we're going to stop allowing ourselves to get shit on, via "roleplay'", and just turn around and call it an exfoliating mud mask. A real friend, let's a friend know when something isn't right. It isn't friendship if you let them keep doing unhealthy things just because it benefits or entertains you.

Godmode toons, GM or otherwise. Aren't fun to deal with. It's not fun to have one house to become a GM house. It's not fun to have even the HINT of one faction or group of players being made untouchable. In a twisted way, the SAME reason Harkyn was hated IC and OOC are now being flipped and used to lift someone up.

This is messy.
I almost had a huge reply. Deleted it. You are very right Mags. When is enough, enough?
PKChrisChan
Character Name(s): Nathan

Post by PKChrisChan »

The only thing that I will say on this manner is that:

I hope that it's not going to be commonplace for an Invulnerable DreamStriker to interject in any/every RP that he percieves as wrong. First he's a villain, then he's a pacifist? Oh, now he's a bad guy again.

Wars are rough, but I don't think that this "completely player run" situation required that level of GM involvement.

Harkyn stating he was going to attack Alliance should not have warranted a IC pseudo-banning via DreamStrike. This is severely inhibiting to conflict RPs. "Oh, I better not do this war. Eldryck is just going to stop it however he feels like."

Any player that Eldryck doesn't like is going to be met with the same....or similar fate. And it's not like there is much you can do against that character. Everyone knows this and nobody wants to claim it or they'll be painted as "problem player".

DreamStrike is banning. It just doesn't look as bad because it's "In-character".
19:11:36: Harkyn SHOUTS: Eldryck are ye helping them/
19:11:40: The Azure Abyss Shield is now your active shield
19:11:57: Eldryck Venym SHOUTS: Merely spectating.
19:19:15: >Harkyn was collapsed into a soulsphere by Dakkoth!
19:19:16: You feel refreshed!
19:19:17: Lu Chaos: Nice.
19:19:18: Lu Chaos: There wego.
19:19:21: Harkyn: res
19:19:22: >Harkyn has been dreamstruck by Eldryck Venym!
Lu Chaos
Dreamer

Post by Lu Chaos »

Listen for the last time... Everything was roleplayed. Harkyn fell into his own demise. It was planned and delgated. Eldryck didnt come up with this plan to kill Harkyn on his own. It was roleplayed. Im done with this conversation. This is making the game annoying to me because everytime something bad happens we run to forums and bash instead of roleplay.. First of all dreamatrike isnt permanent. Freaking roleplay to bring him back wtf are you guys complaining about? Seriously man this is setting us back with the constant bashing. Wish made a roleplayed decision which will create more opportunities for players everywhere to do better roleplays. Harkyn has been terrorizing for years with no opposition to stop him. It was about damn time he got to taste some chaos. Hell my character gets wrecked 247 and he has been banned and dreamstruck... Can we lock this topic please? The Wish bashing is annoying especially when all he did was roleplay like GMs are suppose too. Im not saying that bc Wish is a friend or anything. Hell he barely even interacts with me anymore. Everything was roleplayed in game. From DoL to individual dreamers wanted to see Harkyn dead. Please end the bashing. It doesnt matter if EV told Harky. He was safe. Harkyn asked for a res. He knew he wasnt safe.
Dina

Post by Dina »

You have got to be kidding me...lol