Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Roleplaying Tips

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Roleplaying Tips

Post by Arnaya »

Since we have several new players among us, I thought I'd toss this out. I came across it quite a while ago, but it might help some of the newer players :)

Role-Playing Tips
  • Here’s some assorted tips for role-players:
  • Don’t Panic! – Chances are, others are in the same boot as you. Keep your ears and eyes open, and see what’s going on.
  • Don’t be afraid to say your “new” to RP and still learning, most times, fellow RPers will try to help. We all started somewhere.
  • Don’t be afraid to “evolve” as your character gets “wiser” or experienced. Your motivations, character “direction” and mindset can/may change in some way during your character’s storyline. Makes for interesting rp, and great times with great people.
  • RP is about character interactions and being in character, not one-sided speeches. Live your character, but share the stage.
  • Avoid “taking over” another RPer’s event, scene or grandstanding in a conversation. The “It’s all about me!” mindset can backfire.
  • Encourage, inspire, and support other RPers.
  • When RPing, keep it simple and try not to over-do things. It’s about fun, not stress. :)
  • Sometimes being IC (in character) sparks roleplay. It can be contagious.
  • Don’t force roleplay or demand it. Respect others.
  • You can’t RP in a “fishbowl” – meet and get to know other RPers.
  • Establish boundries not only for your character, but for yourself when roleplaying.
  • RP conversations can be about anything, not just adventures or drama. Even “small talk” is a form of RP. Think of topics and bits of conversation that happen in real life and adapt that for in-game RP.
  • Have problems recalling what you do know as your character? What about info to keep yourself IC? Write it down. 3″x5″ cards work wonders.
  • Treat everyone OOCly fair and with respect.
  • Not every RPer is a “hero”. Even “normal” people can have adventures. Even the “ordinary” can be “extraordinary”.
  • If you don’t see it, make it. RP starts with you.
These are from a website called "RP Made Simple" Lol. Here's the link if want to browse it, there's some pretty good tips and suggestions throughout it :)
http://rpmadesimple.com/the-rp-survival ... ying-tips/
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Black Cloud
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Cloud

Re: Roleplaying Tips

Post by Black Cloud »

Great tips! I've never thought to look for this but man, it would have helped a lot. We're usually fed the hero/villain arctypes and so I find myself trying to break away from it. There are so many interesting twists one can put on their character, just takes dedication.
Raas
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Ra'as

Post by Raas »

Great tips, Arnaya.

I'll add one:

Make a character sheet!

Utilize Dungeons and Dragons if you want a good starting point. Don't limit yourself to physical features - Expand into preferences, strengths and weaknesses, overarching motivations.

If they are adults, they might have some well-developed thoughts about virtues, vices, politics, etc.
~Ra'as
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

Raas wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:46 pm Great tips, Arnaya.

I'll add one:

Make a character sheet!

Utilize Dungeons and Dragons if you want a good starting point. Don't limit yourself to physical features - Expand into preferences, strengths and weaknesses, overarching motivations.

If they are adults, they might have some well-developed thoughts about virtues, vices, politics, etc.
I used a "World of Darkness" for Arnaya when I first made her, just so I had some idea of her strengths and limitations. Since then, I've "Leveled her up" a few times to help me keep an idea of where she's got strengths and weaknesses. Even if the game systems don't match UL very well, it can help keep a relative scale in mind
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.