Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Time to reduce 5th and 6th sphere expectations

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.
Bort
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Bort

Time to reduce 5th and 6th sphere expectations

Post by Bort »

We are on 9th sphere dreamers and dual focuses.

To compare the expectations of these spheres in time lines

Expect 1st and 2nd sphere quests to hold multiple events to get sphered to keep up while 5th and 6th spheres exist in lyran UL.
Yuritau
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Yuritau, Eilathen

Re: Time to reduce 5th and 6th sphere expectations

Post by Yuritau »

Yes please!

And while we're at it, maybe allow something other than public events as sphere tasks? Most people (that my characters talk to, at any rate) that are 5th or 6th sphere already are of the opinion that they'll never sphere again because of how mind-numbingly dull sphere tasks are with the public event requirements.
OfF KiLTeR
Dreamer
Character Name(s): OfF KiLTeR

Post by OfF KiLTeR »

Perhaps we should revisit the word "event." There are ways to have public, wide-spread impact without hosting events. The word event implies that there has to be a number of dreamers present for a short period of time. I would much rather see a sequence of smaller events with time, consideration, and effort put into them.

I agree that there needs to be events - these drive interactions among the players, but that's simply not feasible for everyone to accomplish.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

Off is on it with his point. Too many people think an event is akin to a professor giving a presentation to a lecture hall. It's not, never was, and shouldn't be. Event is just a word. Public is just there to ensure that it's documented so sins of the past are not repeated.

As for difficulty...
Sphere 5: LEAD or HOST at least three events involving many others. (Events can be a progression event or a tournament as examples and MUST be posted on the Public Scrolls)
Sphere 6: Event impacting more than one house or group. Events and progress MUST be documented on the Public Scrolls and usually requires 5 to 6 events to create the whole.
Sphere 7: Event impacting the entire City. This should be a significant event that will go down in the History of the City. Should require at least 6 to 7 attempts at what you are trying to accomplish. Events and progress MUST be documented on the Public Scrolls as is required for this sphere task.
Sphere 8: Dream changing event. Should involve the entire City and benefit it as well. The event should be extremely well known and just as well documented on the public scrolls. Several, at least 7 to 8, attempts should be made before the final result is achieved.
Really? That's ezmode compared to Lyra. Get creative and tell a story, otherwise, what's the point?
Bort
Dreamer

Post by Bort »

Im against x amount of attempts to do something.. I think if its roleplayed out well enough and the player does enough with the RP that it works then it shouldn't be a culmination of x amount events.. because Oh look such and such must be going for a sphere.. Ill show up when they post their last post because Ill see what its actually about then.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

It's not really "x" amount of attempts to "do something". It's "x" chapters to your "story". The public requirement is unfortunate for a lot of things but there are means to meet the requirement without it just being a lame event-fest.
Tentacle
Dreamer

Post by Tentacle »

Let's be honest here.

Some characters in the game are ALWAYS doing.

Some characters in the game rarely do.

Requiring a codified number of events is an attempt to target the low hanging fruit. We know this fruit is there.

There are characters in the game that may very well be successfully having "events" of a sort on a nightly basis and we would never know about it. Until we were faced with the outcome of these clandestine operations.

There are dreamers who will do absolutely NOTHING in the game and claim they invented the cure for codex babies.

What we see now, IMO, is a clear and concise set of rules. These rules have been put in place to make the game very clear and less likely to be manipulated.

I am sure that if a character was of sufficient means and capability they could have their "events" without so obviously posting to Notices and Edicts and still prove successful in their quest for ascendency.
"She spins her golden web between us and the dream." - The Matron ☼, Soulkeeper
Bort
Dreamer

Post by Bort »

heres my thing.

I feel like 5th and 6th and possibly 7th need to be tempered down on expectations. I understand the big jump considering battle.. but that can be remedied.

but maybe there can be some kind of susceptibility to damage... new shields that only can be equipped at certain spheres? 65 70 80 chakrams... that go up to 10 to 50, 20 to 50, 30 to 50.

I understand the problem is that people get to high spheres and just get to the point where they can still be on par with a 5th and 6th sphere in battle... and that is absolutely not fair to those that put the work in to get that high.

Maybe for multi-focused there should be multi-focused chakram... that hit for 2 effects..

I don't know how that would be in coding and time put in for coding... I just figured it would be just a thought.
Trisha Pawm
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Trisha Pawm

Post by Trisha Pawm »

I think too many people over-think these guidelines and requirements. Sphere 7 for instance isn't super clear in it's wording. 6-7 attempts versus hosting events. Unsure if that means beyond all the pre-work and events one would hold preparing for a big work. That the actual work will require 6-7 attempts. If that is the case, I am very much on board with OfF because if someone does really excellent work the whole way through and it still requires 5-6 fails before a success.

That part might be iffy but I think if it means 6-7 efforts of group work and events towards a major goal. That is fine. You document all of it and lead each of the events in a certain way. Higher spheres should matter. My issue comes in that it's sometimes hard to figure out what is actually possible to accomplish and what is "Not". That's been my issue more than the requirements