Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Looking for ideas for something I want to do

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.
jimhabegger
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Farlong

Looking for ideas for something I want to do

Post by jimhabegger »

I'll be trying to learn to help provide a more friendly environment for players who aren't volunteering for PvP, and more generally, for players whose enjoyment of the game is undermined by what other players do. If anyone has any ideas for me, please PM me.
"What the world needs now is love, sweet love.
It's the only thing that there's just too little of.
What the world needs now is love, sweet love,
No not just for some but for everyone."

- Hal David, Jackie DeShannon, Burt Bacharach
Raas
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Ra'as

Re: Looking for ideas for something I want to do

Post by Raas »

The Alliance of the Eclipse more or less serves this function, with varying levels of intrigue/political/science things that aren't violent.

However, Underlight's environment isn't a single player game.

The person you describes will almost always be disappointed by their expectations, because they are unrealistic in the context of the game itself.
~Ra'as
jimhabegger
Dreamer

Post by jimhabegger »

Raas, thank you. The way I’m thinking of it now is that sometimes the way some people play imposes conditions on others that spoil the fun for them. I’ll be trying to learn to help make the game more fun for those others, in spite of those conditions.

jimhabegger
Dreamer

Post by jimhabegger »

I’ll be trying to learn to help make the game more fun for everyone, but right now I’m thinking especially of people who feel like their rp is being vandalized by others. That might be because I’ve felt that way myself, some times in the past. For now I’ll just be trying to add a little flavor of my own to the dream, for whatever it might be worth to anyone. Besides that, my character will be trying to learn to be a friend to anyone who needs one. Currently that’s a challenge for him because he’s unable to communicate verbally with anyone. I don’t know if or when he will ever be able to, so I’m looking for ways to work around that.

I’ll also be looking for ways to embrace the vandalism as part of the rp, and have fun recovering from it. It looks to me like a permanent part of the game. From an rp point of view, it’s part of the nature of the dream, for all the fruits of people’s labors to be destroyed periodically.

jimhabegger
Dreamer

Post by jimhabegger »

These are some random thoughts after reading some other discussions, and thinking some more about my issues here.

In my first post I said that I'll be trying to learn to help provide a more friendly environment for players who aren't volunteering for PvP, and more generally, for players whose enjoyment of the game is undermined by what other players do. Now I see that I have a common interest with Lu and maybe some others, in our frustration about what other players are *not* doing.

I’ve whined about the chat rooms, but the problem for me is not the chat rooms in themselves. The problem for me, and maybe for some others, is that there aren’t enough players available for the kind of game I want to play. In my case, and maybe in some others, it isn’t only the kind of game I want to play, it’s a kind of game that I have actually been able to play in the past in Underlight, so it’s futile to tell me that it would be wrong or impossible for the game to be like that.

I’m not thinking any more of modifications to the game, or changes in what other players do or don’t do, as possible solutions to my problem or anyone else’s. I’m trying now to think more about how I can have more fun in the game as it is and with the players as they are, and help make the game more fun for everyone else. One way I see of doing that is finding things to do that are fun for me, and fun for other people to see and interact with. Another way is trying to learn to be a friend to anyone who needs one.

jimhabegger
Dreamer

Post by jimhabegger »

What started me thinking about a PvE- only option might have been some concerns about popular demoralizing behavior. If so, I think I was really confused if I thought that anything I said in that thread was addressing that problem. That may or may not be a problem here sometimes. I haven’t seen any community, online or offline, where it isn’t. If that is a problem here, it’s just one more reason for me to try to be a friend to anyone who needs one.