Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Player Opinions...

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.
Koi-Lupine

Player Opinions...

Post by Koi-Lupine »

A quick question for the Community.

Which would you prefer:

1. The MoTD be written in such a way that it is an emote of some kind, an experience you have when entering the courtyard.
2. A traditional MoTD, such that the information contained therein is purely informational in design.

An example of #1 would be something along the lines of, "An eerie orange glow emanates from within the Valley and beyond the Plateau, the scent of burning hangs over Threshold. Tendrils of smoke invade..." etc, you get the idea, an emote you would be able to experience with your own senses.

Option #2: "Harrow Glades is on fire! Can it be put out in time and the verdant forest saved?" Purely informational, informing you of what's going on, leaving your reaction/actions up to you.

Discuss.
Last edited by Koi-Lupine on Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Re: Player Opinions...

Post by Uthanatos »

I like the emote style. It tends to leave things open to interpretation and thereby misinterpretation. People have to get involved to get informed etc.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

I'm with Uthy's controller on this. The E-mote style is a lot more fitting for things that your character would see or hear or whatever when they enter the city. You can still do traditional notifications with it too by just putting something like:

"A large sign rests on the platform. The message: "[Insert message here]" is painted on the sign in large block letters "

The emote is just more interactive and In Character :)
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
PKChrisChan
Keepers of the Eternal Shadow
Character Name(s): Nathan

Post by PKChrisChan »

I agree with Arnaya and Uthy. The emote style!
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers
Character Name(s): Purple Lace, etal

Post by -Lacie- »

Option #1 for me! I like the way it puts me into my character for a moment. It has directed my actions or mood upon entering Threshold. Plus, it begins a new page of his/her character's story.

...just sayin'

~Lacie~
~Lacie~
Keeper of the Eternal Shadow
Screchethan Kabal
"Cuz Clever got me this far, then Tricky got me in."
Erasmus
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Erasmus

Post by Erasmus »

I, too, like the emote style, with some instances that contain traditional context, like Arnaya (I think?) mentioned. Emote an image of a sign that reads X if it's announcing an event but if it's try to advance story or an arc, imagery only.

Thanks for asking!
Princess
Dreamer
Character Name(s): ZsaZsa~ tiny princess

Post by Princess »

Uthanatos wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:58 am I like the emote style. It tends to leave things open to interpretation and thereby misinterpretation. People have to get involved to get informed etc.
What he said... I agree it makes you want to engage. As soon s I seen the current MOTD, I ran with my character to investigate.
You see a pressed seal of wax is etched displaying in the center an empty Sigil. The etching is shaped in the manner of a coat of arms. The top right sector, a teacup, the top left, a dolly.
Zsa Zsa,tiny princess of the City of Dreams
Dakkoth
Keepers of the Eternal Shadow

Post by Dakkoth »

All in favor of emote style. Though that should include things like :

a tattered note held up by a dagger stuck to the doorway of the Courtyard reads, “Join us all at Freespirit Sanctuary...”

This still leaves the emote feel but delivers a message. But strictly in that manner. Otherwise, describing what a character would see so that they are intrigued to investigate is exceptional and should be the standard. It strongly promotes roleplaying. For instance:

Large cracking noises echo from distant mountains...Rock and rubble debris cover the ground....Smoke fills the air High over the Lambert Flats...etc etc

Also...whomever’s idea it was to stop saying “6PM DST” as example and replacing it with “at six bells” is brilliant. Makes it feel much more in-game yet such a small change. Perhaps this begs the need for a gigantic dream clock tower!

Mike
~Dakkoth
-Lacie-
Ascended Dreamers
Character Name(s): Purple Lace, etal

Post by -Lacie- »

.....And some big bells.....
~Lacie~
Keeper of the Eternal Shadow
Screchethan Kabal
"Cuz Clever got me this far, then Tricky got me in."
Janus
Dreamer

Post by Janus »

As I see it, to write it as an emote forces my character to feel a certain way. So I disapprove of that.

On the other hand, GMs should control the environment.

I would think the balance between the two would be to be more descriptive in some way without forcing a character into a feeling.

So, save a few spaces for you to describe the environment?
Koi-Cricket
Directing Producer

Post by Koi-Cricket »

I would like to bump up this post.

Here recently we have not had any MoTD submissions. As a reminder, you are more than welcome to use the examples here, and send in to motd@underlight.com. We would love to have more content to get up there in our courtyard.

Cricket
Directing Producer