Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Dreamsmith/Wordsmith eligibility

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.
fr3y
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Frey, Kendo, That one guy

Dreamsmith/Wordsmith eligibility

Post by fr3y »

I'm nowhere near qualified for wordsmith. No amount of desire or practice would likely fix that, I am however inclined to work toward dreamsmith. I have some natural ability and an urge to test myself.

The other evening I heard something that seemed alarming from the lips of a master teacher. I can get the quote if needed but i can certainly paraphrase. He said something to the effect that one didn't need skill at forging to be a dreamsmith.. Only an ability to teach it. This had me confused and a bit disheartened, to be honest. I would guess that a dreamsmith by definition should have a great talent for it. The same way a wordsmith should be able to spell and string words along in a pleasing fashion. I invite the person who said that to argue their point here in a public forum.

Am I wrong in this? For example, say i tried to be a wordsmith with my complete lack of punctuation skills. Freys a teacher, so there's that.. assume for a moment he's a master teacher, they're pretty common after all. Is his desire enough to become a wordsmith? Even if he claimed to try really hard?

I guess my point is that, at least for dreamsmith do you want someone with no skill deciding who's worthy to rise in a specialty or is it something *truly* special? Even in a world that loves to gives trophies to everyone that participates, I find the trend kind of disturbing

I'm not going to name names but I do want to hear some opinions on this. Do we base smithing marks on the ability to evoke train or is there greater talent required? Or even do we base eligibility on how powerful our friends are and our friendship circles themselves.

Man I hope not, I'm just now getting fired up enough again to try for dreamsmith, even though forge is essentially useless now.
11:11:28: Purple Lace: Frayed logic
11:11:39: You Say: no
11:11:43: You Say: Freyed logic

I don't compete, I'm the prize.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Re: Dreamsmith/Wordsmith eligibility

Post by Sidas »

It seems like your question actually belongs IC but we can address it here, I suppose.

Dreamsmith is a combination of Teaching and Forging. To be a Dreamsmith, you need to either excel at one component or be decent at both. It's similar to the age old phrase, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." ;)

I really don't understand the comments about Forge being "useless" now. I can still Forge 12-40 Dreamsoul and Chakrams. It just costs 500 strength instead of 50 per item. Does it suck? Sure. Is it worthless? No, it still saves me from having to hunt/gen which I spent far far too much time doing to become 9th Sphere.
fr3y
Dreamer

Post by fr3y »

At that level it seems useful agreed. That's a ways of for the average dreamer though, but congratulations.

And average/average.. Seriously?

Sidas
Developer

Post by Sidas »

fr3y wrote:At that level it seems useful agreed. That's a ways of for the average dreamer though, but congratulations.

And average/average.. Seriously?
It's also the level that saw the greatest nerf. Losing 68 charges on a standard Elemen is massive. Everyone else lost what...40? Maybe?

Personally, Dreiko is an "average" Forger. He (and I by extension) focus on correctness over prettiness since I'm not strong in creative writing. But are you saying that Dreiko shouldn't be a Dreamsmith with his 90 Forge and 80 Train? That would probably be pretty dumb.
fr3y
Dreamer

Post by fr3y »

There's really no need to call my opinions dumb, I'm merely curious.

Thanks for your input.

Sidas
Developer

Post by Sidas »

Wasn't saying the idea was dumb. I was saying taking that high of a teachable Forge out of the teaching game would be pretty dumb. Subtle difference but a difference nonetheless.
Dina

Post by Dina »

Holy shit! 500 strength to make an item with 19 charges???? Hell, for that price, I should be able to make +50 Dreamsoul. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dina wont be able to stay FreeSpirit at this rate!
Tember
Dreamers of Light

Post by Tember »

I say Dina, would you like some cookies? They are quite delicious.
Sidas
Developer

Post by Sidas »

Dina wrote:Holy shit! 500 strength to make an item with 19 charges???? Hell, for that price, I should be able to make +50 Dreamsoul. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dina wont be able to stay FreeSpirit at this rate!
That's the combined item cost. So 50 charges. It's also for an item that has a level 92 requirement. Not sure about the cost at the puny Forge levels tbh.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

I think with every achievement and leading role in the game requires a certain skill in that field, whether it be a ranked position, a teacher, MT, Dreamsmith, Wordsmith, etc. If there weren't any requirements in place, nothing would be special and anyone could be anything. I know it's a game, but many factors of it are based on real life.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Dina

Post by Dina »

Tember wrote:I say Dina, would you like some cookies? They are quite delicious.
Tembo, I would be simply delighted to indulge in your gracious offer! I remain with gratitude!
Dina

Post by Dina »

I take that back, houses wont need SMs for another year for when they run out of prime strength and Sidas, my forge is not punie! 69 isn't bad, just wish I had more time to work on Dina's tasks, which one is 70 forge. :cry:
Golah
Dreamer

Post by Golah »

I am pretty sure it was me that made the statement, so let me clarify- My character is not a poet, nor does he create super impressive items with intense detail, he is a very mechanical dreamer who by definition works on the teaching side of Forge and what and how it functions (In his Opinion) I say this because both my char, and myself see many other finer creators out there, that make some really awesome well defined items, but can't teach it, so its a trade off, but as a teacher, I certainly know where to send students, in relation to task progression, that will show them things I do not have the knack for.

Golah sees Forge as Creation, and Destruction, Life and Death, Mechanical and Organic, nothing more nothing less.
Dina

Post by Dina »

Dina wrote:
Tembo, I would be simply delighted to indulge in your gracious offer! I remain with gratitude!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Golah
Dreamer

Post by Golah »

no one ever offers me cookies dammit
Dina

Post by Dina »

Golah wrote:no one ever offers me cookies dammit
Ask Gina. She has LOTS of cookie to offer!
HarleyofCienn

Post by HarleyofCienn »

8=====D
Last edited by HarleyofCienn on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dina

Post by Dina »

Who are you calling pot....kettle!!!!!! :lol: