Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

The end of the road for Tary?

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.
Tary
Dreamer

The end of the road for Tary?

Post by Tary »

This isn't a post about my leaving Underlight. It is a post about my wondering if it's time to retire Tary as a character.

Basically, I wonder if it's time to start anew. I just don't feel like it's any fun to play Tary anymore. A lot of that is due to the fact that, in general, I don't have much time to dedicate to both playing and developing for Underlight (and if I have to choose between the two, I choose the latter because it serves a greater utility). Underlight is a game that requires time, and to a great extent it's time I'm not entirely able to invest. But if it IS possible to play Underlight casually (is it? That's a separate question), I still wonder if it's not time to retire Tary.

I liked the idea of playing Tary as a cantankerous, mean-spirited creepy, old dude who is obsessed with staying in Underlight at any cost. I liked the idea of making him a scheming, self-centered politician. But I never really knew to what end. To become a ruler of a house? Well I don't have time for that. To try to topple a house? Maybe, but is that what would play to his motivations? I don't like the idea of one-dimensional evil but at the same time I'm really not sure what it is that motivates Tary anymore. It's hard. I'm trying to figure out what motivates Tary as a character and trying to find a motivating factor for me to participate as an actively roleplaying player of Underlight. Maybe that motivation comes with a new character? I'm not sure. But I guess what I'm wondering is: Is it time to retire Tary? Has he outlasted his utility? How can I refresh/reboot him as a character if not, without sacrificing continuity of his awkwardness and general inability to interact with others?
Cianne
Dreamer

Re: The end of the road for Tary?

Post by Cianne »

Always a hard call. I've enjoyed interacting with Tary, but I definitely know what you mean. After so many years it is just hard to find things to do that have not already been done, or where to "fit in" with today's storylines.

That is the trouble I think many run in to, love their characters, but what's left to do that they haven't already done after 10, 15, 20 years?

I was wondering the other day when I saw Tary in full clown garb. I thought, oop...something's up.

New characters can be a blast and I am sure whoever and whatever you decide, we will still enjoy playing with you :)

P.S. Thanks for all the work you put in on the technical aspect, it's amazing the things you guys do!
~Practice patience and silent reflection in a moment of anger ~ It will save you infinite moments of regret~
fr3y
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Frey, Kendo, That one guy

Post by fr3y »

Frey doesn't really know tary, but the few interactions they've had were interesting. It's a personal call in the end though. Does the fun you're having equal in value to the time it costs ?
There's your answer.
11:11:28: Purple Lace: Frayed logic
11:11:39: You Say: no
11:11:43: You Say: Freyed logic

I don't compete, I'm the prize.
Inzoum
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Inzoum Zimia, Asaniel

Post by Inzoum »

I guess THAT's what's going on lately...

With all the scheming and creepy gloominess Tary's done in the past, it gets to a point where the reaction is "Tary ALWAYS says stuff...". The problem I see with that is that these attempts to topple a House or create intrigue that shouldn't exist by spreading disinformation can only work so often before people catch on and stop paying it any attention. See, these aren't ingrained in the current roleplays people lead on their side, they have other things going on and having a wrench thrown in their gears can be fun, but that wrench needs to be a lot more relevant. If you can learn information on one side and use it against them by helping another faction with it, that works a lot better than throwing bad omens and spreading rumors, but is Tary in a position where he can be trusted with House secrets? Do you as a player have time to invest in these? probably not from what you've just said.

Free time doesn't seem like it's playing in your favor regarding the way you envision your character, I can completely understand that, believe me... You COULD change the way you play Tary, but again, people are suspicious and any kind of sudden change will throw them off, and it might not be very enjoyable for you to alter a character you're attached to in such ways. An other option would be to start a new character that you can design in a way that is manageable for you. Take some characters like Mortas Le Rouge, that's one that isn't so progress-oriented and focused on bite-sized quality nuggets of roleplaying, the kind who steps in once in a while, everyone has a blast interacting with and then just goes. Having a few spheres in helps with being able to go around, but try to get too much progress in and it becomes no different than your main character in matters of time investment. The creative lowlies are just as much appreciated as the powerhouses, trust me on that. You don't have to retire Tary to enjoy that, you can simply put him on hiatus.
Inzoum Carrere Zimia
6th Sphere GateKeeper of the Lyran City, Dream Traveler
Dina

Post by Dina »

QRP! Then you might have fun again! :lol:
Sorsha
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Sorsha

Post by Sorsha »

Inzoum, that sums up Dr. Le Rouge to a "T" ! not to mention, it's just a really cool phrase that you made up there!
Inzoum : bite-sized quality nuggets of roleplaying

I digress . No one can wear a trench coat like Taryag!

Hang in there :) Do what's fun.
++SC++
++Quipster++
++Master Sender++
++Idealist++
++Wanderer++
++Opportunist++
Inzoum
Dreamer

Post by Inzoum »

Dina wrote:QRP! Then you might have fun again! :lol:
Seconded! :D. ;)

just get out of that clown costume first, Tary :lol:
Inzoum Carrere Zimia
Inzoum
Dreamer

Post by Inzoum »

On a more serious note regarding alternate characters, I've made no secret about who I play apart from Inzoum. Look to the left, it's right there under my forum avatar. I figured that 10 years later, we'd all be mature enough to understand the need to take a break from our politically engaged progression characters and just enjoy the game from a lighter perspective and build some new relations on new grounds. I've taken good care to separate my interactions with both characters and expect others to do the same, and I've been pleasantly surprised in that sense, either because people are in fact very respectful of it, or they just haven't realized who's behind her. I've been meaning to talk a bit about this experience playing a different character and maybe this is a good time to discuss that.

I created Asaniel several years ago as a stress relief character that would also allow me to seed new interactions that Inzoum could draw upon. She was an existing part of Inzoum's backstory as a sibling on his shard prior to her creation as a playable character, something I realized later was not a good idea as it limited my ability to tell a different story with her. Fortunately, I was able to meet very different characters along the way, and her involvement with Dendinor gave me as a player an opportunity to smash what I'd established for her and make something new out of it. She gave up on her humanity to become a dragon in order to be with Dendinor, and moved out of her shard to a small island very slightly beyond the Mists, thin enough to traverse a single time after her transformation, never to return again. Cutting these ties (at least in part) has been extremely beneficial in shaping her into a different character. She's bound to have some affinities with my main and his House out of sibling affection, but they obviously can't interact, and no longer do so in a Cloudsbreakian context either. This has also been a positive divide in that they haven't "seen" each other in a very long time, and both have skewed and dated ideas of what the other is like. At this point, she has enough of a solid and fulfilling existence of her own that I don't need to mention she has a brother, or that Inzoum has a sister.

She's amazingly fun and refreshing to play and I hope others also have a good time with it as well.

Some things I would suggest to anyone trying to make a new character to get a new, refreshing point of view on the City:
- Don't try to tie your characters together, that was a mistake I did and things have been much more enjoyable for me after I severed some of these ties
- Don't be afraid to play a character of a different gender, no one's forcing you to have relationships or QRP with it, but it does offer a different perspective in the simplest of ways
- Consider mannerisms, ways of speech or habits you can develop that will set your characters apart
- Don't spoil things for yourself, you don't have to pretend you know nothing about the Dream (that's uselessly time consuming for an experienced player), but allow your new character some curiosity about things you as a player already know, you may actually hear and see different things
Inzoum Carrere Zimia
Roleplayer
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Liolira

Post by Roleplayer »

I felt that way with Zsa.. when Xanthicus said to Zsa, " We lost our culture, our way of doing things here, I find it hard to come to the city, nothing matters," I agreed. I had to retire Zsa. Now I am struggling with Lio, I do not have time to invest in the story lines, nor do I have time to invest in a new character. Trying to get involve has become impossible. I just play Lio as a happy go lucky drunk now so I can visit, because its the nostalgia that pulls me in. It's a hard decision, follow your heart ;)
"Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes." - Carl Jung
Kelos
House of Calenture
Character Name(s): Kelos

Post by Kelos »

Everything will be ok Tary....We have to remember the past and think to the future...What will Tary do next?
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

I vote we turn Tary into a woman...
Anasina
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Anasina

Post by Anasina »

Malarky wrote:I vote we turn Tary into a woman...
Seconded!
*'~Anasina R. Dupree-Aileron~'*
*'~Blueberry of Mischief~'*
Lu Chaos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Lu Chaos

Post by Lu Chaos »

All I will say to you Tary. There are plenty of opportunities for you. All you need to do is give them to yourself. I love your character. Since order days. Tay has a place, you need only seek out what will take you to that place you belong.