Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

On layers and their function

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.
Malarky
Dreamer

On layers and their function

Post by Malarky »

Underlight is a Role-playing game. How many of you remember a time when your mind was blown about a "truth" you discovered in Underlight's plot?

This is just a little bit of Malarky.

For me, these "truths" are what make Underlight truly powerful as a compelling backdrop for Role-play developers. In a sense players are the most powerful Game Masters. The list is pretty long of players that could be considered Proxy GM. Players make compelling Game Masters because they already have people who are invested in their characters. Their ability to Role-play inspires others. Their losses and gains are felt by others. This is underscored by a sociopolitical system that rewards strengthening bonds between dreamers that often translate to bonds between players.

In developing a plot for a Role-play, I always create a scenario for loss, for gain and for bowing out. Players dictate like a flow chart which direction a Role-play flows so long as it does not compromise another Role-play. I have in the past needed to nudge people to dissuade crossing the streams(ghost buster reference). In this way, Role-plays are organic. On top of creating plot points that direct the flow of a Role-Play, having subcontext drives interest where playing a Role requires people care. This is why often I enjoyed involving houses and their members in developing subcontext for Role-play. Not only do guilds add their own subcontext by shaping your interactions, but they also create conflict by using it. Guilds can give subcontext to a Role-play for a Game Master looking to give substance to a story that isn't fully fleshed out.

An example of this: Bandaret loses a tool to Ash on the totality plains. It became a device inspiring subcontext not just from players but through its use in developing stories. Bandaret's behavior ultimately reintroduced a villain Dynroth into Underlight that was both menacing and manipulative. Questions arise to be considered researching the events surrounding these characters.

Who is Dynroth to Bandaret and vice versa?
How old is Underlight?
How old is Dynroth?
What is the Ash'Tonu Compact?
Who else is a member of the Ash'Tonu?
What accord existed before the Ash'tonu?

Subcontextual questions develop a stronger desire to follow through on a Role-play point of interest. The function of layers are there to give players the carrot on the stick. They don't exist just as rewards for interest but to drive a Role-play forward.
Something to keep in mind when you're Role-playing hard and feel like nothing is happening as a result. If there is no carrot, there is no-where for the mind to travel. Everyone has an obligation and an opportunity in Role-playing to add a carrot to the stick.